Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 145153 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #990 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
I figured out 3 more of the clues...

Mama
| Year: 2013 | 100 Min. | Trailer/Intro

Guillermo del Toro, the Academy Award®-nominated‡ writer of Pan's Labryinth, presents this supernatural thriller that tells the haunting tale of two little girls who disappear into the woods the day that their parents were killed. When the young sisters are found alive in a decrepit cabin, their uncle (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones) and his girlfriend (Oscar® nominee¥ Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty) take them in. As they try to introduce the children to a normal life, Annabel (Chastain) begins to wonder if the traumatized girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.

‡ 2006 Best Writing, Original Screen Play, Pan's Labyrinth
¥ 2011 Best Supporting Actress, The Help; 2012 Best Actress, Zero Dark Thirty

The Adventures of Tintin
| Year: 2011 | 107 Min.

From Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg* and Peter Jackson** comes the epic adventures of Tintin. Racing to uncover the secrets of a sunken ship that may hold a vast fortune–but also an ancient curse–Tintin and his loyal dog Snowy embark on an action-packed journey that critics are calling "fun for the whole family."†

*Best Director: Saving Private Ryan, 1998; Best Director and Best Pictures: Schindler's List, 1993. **Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 2003. †David Plummer, Windy City LIVE! (ABC 7 Chicago).

Arthur Christmas
| Year: 2011 | 97 Min.

How CAN Santa deliver billions of presents to the whole world in just one night? With an army of one million combat-style Field Elves and a vast, state-of-the-art control center under the ice of the North Pole! So how could this incredible operation have MISSED one child?! To Santa's young son, Arthur, it threatens to end the magic of Christmas. With retired Grandsanta, a rebellious young elf, an old sleigh and some untrained reindeer, Arthur sets out in a crazy mission to deliver the last present! Deck the halls with excitement, fun and wonder in this new Christmas classic!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 15, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »
I figured out the last of the clues...

Robin Hood
| Year: 2010 | 156 Min.

Academy Award® winner† Russell Crowe and visionary director Ridley Scott (Gladiator) reunite for the untold story of the man behind the legend. In an Age of oppression and shameless tyranny, an outlaw becomes the unlikely hero that saves a nation and inspires generations to fight for freedom. In this thrilling action adventure, "Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott are at their most entertaining since Gladiator" (Dan Jolin, Empire UK). Also starring Academy Award® winner† Cate Blanchett.

† Russell Crowe: 2000 Best Actor, Gladiator.
   Cate Blanchette, 2004 Best Supporting Actress, The Aviator.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits
| Year: 2012 | 88 Min.

Set sail for a fun-filled voyage and hilarious pirate antics with the biggest Band of Misfits on the seven seas! When the infamous Pirate Captain (Hugh Grant) is shunned once again by his rivals Black Bellamy and Cutlass Liz, he sets his sights to win the coveted Pirate of the Year Award! With his trusted dodo, Polly and rag-tag crew at his side, the Pirate Captain will need to battle a diabolical queen, save a young scientist and never lose sight of what a pirate loves best: Adventure!

Prep & Landing / Prep & Landing: Naughty Vs. Nice
| Year: 2009 | 43 Min.

Prep & Landing

On Christmas Eve, a high-tech team of elves from an elite unit known as 'Prep & Landing' ensures homes around the world are prepared for Santa's visit. But when two hilarious little elves face unexpected challenges and are pushed to their limits, it'll take a great big effort to save the season. Enjoy a heartwarming holiday classic sure to make everyone's Christmas list!

Prep & Landing: Naughty Vs. Nice

The outrageous yuletide adventures of Christmas elves Lanny and Wayne continue in this totally tinsel adventure that reminds us there's room for everyone on the 'nice' list. Santa's stealthiest little elves must race to recover classified North Pole technology, which has fallen into the hands of a computer-hacking naughty kid, in order to stop Christmas from descending into chaos. Bring the family together for a comical adventure that puts the Ho, Ho, Ho in your holidays!

Dark Shadows
| Year: 2012 | 113 Min.

From the wonderfully warped imagination of Tim Burton comes the story of Barnabas Collins (Johnny Depp), a dashing aristocrat who is turned into a vampire by a jilted lover and entombed for two centuries. Emerging from his coffin into the world of 1972, he returns to his once-majestic home, only to find the few dysfunctional descendants of the Collins family who remain. Determined to return his family name to its former glory, Barnabas is thwarted at every turn by his former lover – the seductive witch Angelique (Eva Green) – in this wildly imaginative" (Sam Hallenbeck, NBC-TV) adventure.

Argo
| Year: 2012 | 120 Min.

As the Iranian Revolution takes over the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, six Americans escape. Now only one man can get them out from behind enemy lines. Tony Mendez is a brilliant CIA agent who specializes in impossible escapes, but his new plan is as daring as it is desperate. Disguised as a film crew, Tony and the fugitives must hide in plain sight, where the slightest slipup could end in instant death. Academy Award® winner* Ben Affleck directs and stars in a thriller based on an unbelievably true story. The powerful cast includes Emmy Award winners Bryan Cranston and John Goodman, as well as Academy Award® winner* Alan Arkin.

*Affleck – 1997: Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen for Good Will Hunting. Arkin – 2006: Actor in a Supporting Role for Little Miss Sunshine.

Rise of the Guardians
| Year: 2012 | 97 Min.

DreamWorks' newest animated adventure is a fun-filled and magical story about the legendary guardians – Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Sandman – together for the first time! When the evil Pitch threatens to take over the world, it's up to our beloved heroes to protect the hopes and dreams of children everywhere. Filled with non-stop action and laughs, it's a dazzling family film that's being hailed as "an instant classic. You will believe."²

2. Nancy Joy, Daybreak USA
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Just found out I will be getting...

Rendition
| Year: 2007 | 122 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

When a man mysteriously vanishes from an overseas flight, his disappearance sends shockwaves all the way to the nation’s capitol. Desperate for the truth, his wife begins a search for the missing man which leads a CIA unit head and a novice agent into an international web of deceit, conspiracies and top-secret truths far more frightening than the lies that conceal them. "An intelligent thriller with intrigue, smarts and a great cast,"* Rendition stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon, Alan Arkin and Meryl Streep.

* Pete Hammond, Maxim
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
Found out today a friend sent me...

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
| Year: 2011 | 128 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Gary Oldman leads a stunning all-star cast in this masterful adaptation of John le Carré's bestselling novel that redefined the spy thriller. At the height of the Cold War, a precarious operation goes deadly wrong, and the head of British Intelligence wonders if a double agent is leaking vital secrets. Brought out of retirement to expose the potential mole, master spy George Smiley (Oldman) is the only one who can be trusted to expose one of their own. Or can he? As the emotional and physical tolls mount on the high-ranking suspects, Smiley will be forced into the ultimate international spy game where everyone's motives are in question. Filled with stunning performances by Academy Award® winner* Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt, Tony Jones, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ciarán Hings, it's the powerful and deeply resonant spy tale that Ebert Presents at the Movies hails as a "hands down the best new thriller this year."

*2010 Best Actor, The King's Speech

Bolt
| Year: 2008 | 96 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Let it begin! Get ready for the most totally awesome adventure ever as Bolt, the coolest action hero on Earth, and me, Rhino, his faithful partner and right-hand hamster, set off on a super secret mission! 

As one half of the Dynamic Duo, I'll let you in on the action. One day I'm watching Bolt on TV, and the next thing I know I'm working alongside my all-time favorite hero in stealth mode! We have to make it all the way from New York City to Hollywood to defeat the forces of evil and save the lovely Miss Penny from ultimate peril. But don't worry – armed with Bolt's "Super-Bark" and my rolling ball of thunder, we're ready for anything.

You won't believe the high-flying, death-defying stunts we have to pull off along the way. Watch us in action as we unleash the power. It's awesome. No, it's beyond awesome. It's BE-awesome! There's danger at every turn, but with Bolt at my side, I fear nothing. I FEEL ALIVE!

Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 2
| Year: 2008 | 75 Min.

Disney and Pixar present an incredible collection of 12 short films, featuring multiple Academy Award® nominees (Best Short Film, Animated: "Presto," 2008; "Day & Night," 2010; "La Luna," 2011) and a host of family favorites. Join the celebration of imagination with this must-own collection, packed with unforgettable animation, fantastic stories and captivating characters. Plus, enjoy all-new extras that share how Pixar's storied talent got their start – including student films from acclaimed directors John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
Just found out a friend is sending me...

The Twilight Saga: New Moon
| Year: 2009 | 131 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

In the second chapter of Stephanie Meyer's best-selling Twilight series, the romance between mortal Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) grows more intense as ancient secrets threaten to destroy them. When Edward leaves in an effort to keep Bella safe, she tests fate in increasingly reckless ways in order to glimpse her love once more. But when she's saved from the brink by her friend, Jacob Black (Taylor Loutner), Bella will uncover mysteries of the supernatural world that will put her in more peril than ever before.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:23 PM »
Are you sure this is really from a friend :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 06, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
LOL... going by other titles from this friend... yes. :)

I find Twilight to be far from great... but watchable.
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
It is a Teen Angst story ... no high art ... but it is fun to watch.
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #998 on: September 10, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »
Are you sure this is really from a friend :whistle:

:laugh:

Perfectly justifiable question considering the movie in question.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 10, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »
See Marie I've watched Vampire Sucks (even two times :-[) and I'm 100% positive it's a better film than anything in the serie can be. I've read an extensive recap of the first one on the agony booth1 (before they went all youtube and lost my interest) and that was more than enough.

:hangman7:

Didn't notice those new smileys before, so I must use one :laugh:

1. I challenge anyone to read those 9 pages in one go :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:50:07 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #1000 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:42 AM »
I have seen all the Twilight movies...and even read the books.  Vampires Sucks is better...and better adaptation of the first two books.  Two books in one movie.  No padding it with extra nonsense like the Twilight movies did, especially the last two.  The source material is practically a spoof to begin with..vampires that sparkle.  Please.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 10, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
I think that is why I probably like the films more then some people do... as I never read the books so don't know the source material. Don't get me wrong... don't think they are great movies... wouldn't ever pay for any of the films (going by the first one). But found the first one watchable. I will probably even watch the first one again before I see the second one... just to refresh my memory.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
I thought the books were pretty good as was the first movie. I haven't gotten around to the other films yet.

I'm easy to please though - I don't even mind sparkly vampires! Of course I don't think of them as sparkles - it just means vampire skin is different.  :tease:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 10, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
I think that is why I probably like the films more then some people do... as I never read the books so don't know the source material. Don't get me wrong... don't think they are great movies... wouldn't ever pay for any of the films (going by the first one). But found the first one watchable. I will probably even watch the first one again before I see the second one... just to refresh my memory.
I enjoy/enjoyed them also.  I had read the books before and didn't find that a problem for the films.  Each have to be 'viewed' on their own.  Twilight saga, like others, are basically teen-angst films.  Either like them or not :)
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 03, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
Found out a friend is sending me a few classic films... ones she upgraded so she is sending me her old DVDs.

Mutiny on the Bounty
| Year: 1935 | 133 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

HMS Bounty sails for Tahiti by way of Cape Horn...and into movie lore as an American Film Institute Top-100 American Films selection. Grandly filmed, Mutiny on the Bounty captured the 1935 Best Picture Academy Award® and eight nominations total.* Charles Laughton portrays Captain Bligh, a seafaring monster ruling with the law of fear.

Solidifying his status as Hollywood's #1 male star, Clark Gable is first officer Fletcher Christian, whose will to obey erodes under Bligh's tyranny. And Franchot Tone plays idealistic midshipman Byam, torn by his allegiance to both. That all three portrayals are vividly memorable is accented by the fact that for the only time in Oscar® history, three stars from the same film were Best Actor nominees.

*Other Nominations: Best Actor (Gable, Laughton and Tone), Director (Frank Lloyd), Screenplay (Jules Furthman, Talbot Jennings and Carey Wilson), Film Editing and Score.

High Noon
| Year: 1952 | 85 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

Gary Cooper won the Oscar® for the Best Actor in this classic tale of a lawman who stands alone to defend a town of cowardly citizens against a gang of revenge-seeking criminals. In the greatest showdown in the history of cinema, Cooper stands to lose not only the town but his new wife, Grace Kelly. The film also stars one of Hollywood's most beloved and prolific actors, Lloyd Bridges, and marks the first starring role for a beautiful young actress and internationally adored screen legend – Grace Kelly. High Noon garnered a total of four Academy Awards® including Best Editing, Score and Original Song.

The Bridge on the River Kwai
| Year: 1957 | 167 Min.| IMDb | Trailer/Intro

When British P.O.W.s build a vital railway bridge in enemy-occupied Burma, Allied commandos are assigned to destroy it in David Lean's epic World War II adventure THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

Spectacularly produced, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI captured the imagination of the public and won seven 1957 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Alec Guinness), and Best Director. Even its theme song, an old WWI whistling tune, the "Colonel Bogey March," became a massive workdwide hit. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI continues today as one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time.

She also said she was sending me the anime movie Origin: Spirits of the Past... but when I told Brittany I was getting it she claimed it for her own. :P So I told her I would send it to her once it arrives.

Pete