0 (0%)
I'll stick to FF2.x
0 (0%)
I'll stick to FF1.x
0 (0%)
Other ...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Download Day 2008  (Read 4632 times)

RossRoy

Re: Download Day 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »
I have a question, for those more knowledgeable in Internet/WEB technology.

I downloaded Firefox. First I thought I'd make sure it gets counted, and tried downloading from Firefox. This failed epicly. Server overloaded, I had to restart it quite a few times. So, I decided to use Reget instead. Thing is, Reget actually does 5+ partial downloads to accelerate things.

Does the Reget download still get counted? Or, would it be reported as 5 partial downloads, and not count toward the final total?

ajm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
I got mine 2.5 hours ago and am running firefox 3 now.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »
I've had Firefox 3 installed for 2 days now (well, the RC anyway) and installed the final release version today.

I still can't believe how much faster it is, especially on Google Mail and Google Reader.  :thumbup:

lyonsden5

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:34 AM »
Just downloaded it... ran the install... now I got nothin  :slaphead:

The install seemed to go OK. Ended with the "start firefox now" screen and then nothing. Click on the shortcut, I can see the process starting in the task manager but it ends right away.

uninstalled - redownloaded - reinstalled - same thing...   

system restore is next I guess.  :slaphead:

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:46:06 AM »
system restore is next I guess.  :slaphead:

No. You may have an incompatible extension or something. There should be a link in the Start/Programs/Mozilla Firefox called Mozilla Firefox (Safe mode), which doesn't load any plugins or extensions. See if that works.

If it does, you might want to create a new profile, and then recover only the Bookmarks file from the old profile. You will have to reinstall the extensions you want though.

To invoke the profile manager, right-click the Firefox shortcut, and add a "-p" (without the quotes) at the end in the Target field, outside of the quotes, in there are any

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:22:38 AM »
Thanks Sebastien. I'll try it later (on my laptop now)

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:55:27 AM »
Hahaha! It's so weird!

I decided since I'm installing a newer version of Firefox, I might as well start with a fresh profile. So, I deleted my old profile, uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled Firefox 3, created a new profile (I want it on a different partition than C, so I have to do this manually).

I thought, instead of reinstalling each and every extensions I had before, I decided to just use the thing, and reinstall the extensions I find I need as I browse.

So, I started browsing. Installed the extensions to reinstate features I like and still want. Then, I come across one of the site I visit often, and always found the page clean and very nice ..... not tonight!

My.. my.. I never thought I needed Adblock Plus (and Flash Block) so much. The site is a popup galore, with ads all over the place. I had to struggle to actually see the text itself!

Needless to say, Adblock is now reinstalled, with subscription to filter list. :phew:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:58:09 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:02 AM »
I downloaded Firefox 3 two hours ago. I have no idea if I got counted or not (how would I know?). If it's importnat to Mozilla, I can download again from home tonight; but I think that first day might be over by then. Anyway, I am planning to upgrade, rather than a fresh install.

I have been running the verison 3 for quite a while now; I believe since Beta 3. Most my Extension have already been updated by now, except one. It's one made by Google, used to synchronize Bookmarks (and other stuff which I don't use) between several computers. I hope they have only been waiting for the final release and will update it soon. I really miss being able to synchronize my bookmarks between my desktop and notebook.

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »
I really miss being able to synchronize my bookmarks between my desktop and notebook.

I use Foxmarks for that, and it's already been updated, and actively developed.

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
Hahaha! It's so weird!

I decided since I'm installing a newer version of Firefox, I might as well start with a fresh profile. So, I deleted my old profile, uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled Firefox 3, created a new profile (I want it on a different partition than C, so I have to do this manually).

I thought, instead of reinstalling each and every extensions I had before, I decided to just use the thing, and reinstall the extensions I find I need as I browse.

So, I started browsing. Installed the extensions to reinstate features I like and still want. Then, I come across one of the site I visit often, and always found the page clean and very nice ..... not tonight!

My.. my.. I never thought I needed Adblock Plus (and Flash Block) so much. The site is a popup galore, with ads all over the place. I had to struggle to actually see the text itself!

Needless to say, Adblock is now reinstalled, with subscription to filter list. :phew:

Have you tried NoScript? As the name suggests, it blocks any scripts on a page, even videos. You just click to enable them. Pages seem to load quicker and I haven't seen any ads at all for ages!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »
I've been using the RC since it has been released and have just now installed the final Five 3.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
Have you tried NoScript?

Yeah, but I always end up forgetting I have it installed, and get frustrated when websites don't work as intended  :bag: :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
I use Foxmarks for that, and it's already been updated, and actively developed.
I have previously tried Foxmarks and liked the idea as well. It seemed to only sort alphabetically though, while I prefer sorting links myself. Also it obviously requires me to keep my links loaded from the server and not in the Bookmarks menu of the browser, which is what I prefer somehow (agreeably without any logical explanation).

If Google Browser Sync doesn't get updated soon I'll probably switch.

Yeah, but I always end up forgetting I have it installed, and get frustrated when websites don't work as intended  :bag: :laugh:
I actually usually see it this way:

I am thinking how IE opens all those pages flawlessly, letting all those scripts run in the background, without me knowing about them ;)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:33:46 PM by Achim »

lyonsden5

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »
I found the culprit. I recently added Quick Books Pro to my machine which added the Google Desktop ap. Turns out the version of Google Desktop id added was not compatible with FF3. I updated GD and everything is OK.

I'm not sure if I'll keep GD. I had it a couple years ago and stopped using it as it seemed to be a bit of a resource hog. I have a much better machine now though so I thought I'd give it a try again, especially since Quick Books seems to want to use it for something.

Time will tell (not much time - i get very impatient with things that slow up my computer or cause me grief  :-[ )

Thanks Again Sebastien for the input. I was able to track it down by looking for some sort of compatibility issue. FWIW Safe mode didn't open either.  :voodoo:

Now it's time to see how good this new version is  :thumbup: