Author Topic: An Unexpected Move...  (Read 9755 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: An Unexpected Move...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 03:21:51 AM »
That's good.  I thought that at least some areas of Kentucky got bad in the winter, but I couldn't remember for sure.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »
That would be in eastern Kentucky, up in the mountains.  Winter can get bad up there, at least according to my friend Chris who comes from that part of the state.

But we are near Louisville, which is in the Ohio Valley, so winter is almost always pretty mild.  Back in the 90's we had 15 inches of snow, and a few years ago we had that ice storm that knocked out the power for a day and half, but those have been the worst winters since we moved back here from Georgia in 92.  (Of course, my co-worker was without power for over a week, but we're on the same area of the grid as EMS, so ours gets up pretty quick!)

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »
In case I never mentioned before.... Danae Cassandra and her mother are the kind souls that took me in and are helping me get back on my feet. I really don't know where I would be or would be headed if it wasn't for their unbelievable amount of generosity and kindness. Maybe it is overstating it a tiny bit... but as far as I am concerned these two wonderful people saved my life. I really don't know how to thank them.

This morning I took a nice walk around the neighborhood stopped in the courthouse and got my Kentucky ID card. From there I went to the local library... got my library card and borrowed a few videos. Then I walked down some of the other streets exploring... seeing what all was within walking distance. There is a couple places like fast food places and such I am looking forward to trying out.
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Good luck Pete, at the new place and everything!
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
A big, big :thumbsup: for Danae and her mum/mom(sp?).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:14 AM »
mum/mom(sp?).

As far as I know mum is BE and mom is AE.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »
mum/mom(sp?).

As far as I know mum is BE and mom is AE.

One of the things that was "translated" from the English to the American version of Harry Potter. ;)

From me a big :thumbup: to Danae as well!
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:33 AM »
 :thumbup:

Hope you are all staying warm there.  It is already like 10 below here.  Not sure if the deep freeze is hitting you guys too, but it looked like most of the country is dealing with this nonsense.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »
Yeah, it was like -2 on my drive home from work.  Frigid, frigid, frigid!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Rogmeister

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:20 AM »
My brother brought me home from work.  His lane was frozen so the car couldn't get up there.  I had to walk up his yard through te snow...in my condition, it wasn't easy.  I had to stop several times to catch my breath.  The cold just made a difficult job a bit harder.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 05:02:09 AM »
I have always found it humorous seeing others' reactions toward me in cold weather.

I wear shorts and short sleeved shirts all year 'round... even in snow. As long as I have something covering my feet, no hard wind at my back, no heavy breathing (sucking the cold air quickly and deeply) and I don't get wet, it is rare for me to get cold.

It was 19°F and overcast earlier today with a light breeze as I pushed my niece on the swing for about 30 minutes. The only thing that got cold was the hand that I was pushing with. Meanwhile, everyone else that saw me today reacts with, "You're not cold? Don't you at least have a jacket? You're making me cold just looking at'cha!"  :laugh:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »
I wear shorts and short sleeved shirts all year 'round... even in snow. As long as I have something covering my feet, no hard wind at my back, no heavy breathing (sucking the cold air quickly and deeply) and I don't get wet, it is rare for me to get cold.
Funny you mention the covered feet... As you may remember I live in Taiwan and for the majority of people here it's the reverse. Well, it doesn't really get very cold here (10°C is considered a cold winter; but then keep in mind that heating is not a standard here), but then people start wearing thick winter jackets and gloves once it goes below 15°C. Yet, you will see that many of them still only wear their (blue) flip flops barefoot, even when driving their scooters...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:47 PM »
Western New York is finally living up to its winter reputation. We are in the middle of our first blizzard in 20 years.

The governor has declared a state of emergency and the major thruway and interstates have been closed. Driving bans are in effect in the southtowns and discouraged everywhere else.

Depending on where you live, the temperature is hovering around 0. The wind is the big problem - causing the temp to feel up to 31 degrees below 0.

I still managed to get to work last night and ended up staying the night because the next shift couldn't make it in.

When I left the morning, the drive wasn't too bad. The streets were pretty good but I drove very slowly and with my flashers on. The only real problem is the wind. Something called an arctic vortex made the drive dangerous.

I kept running into areas where there was zero visibility. Thankfully those only lasted a few seconds and then I could see again.

I'm home, basking in the glory of a warm electric blanket...and dreading the thought of going back out again at 5pm.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »
It got up to like 27 here today....practically tropical after yesterday.   :laugh:

I had to work yesterday..be in by 9.  My car wouldn't start.  Ended up taking my mom's - got to use the nice heated seats. :)  Walking into to the office, a car of the pop I was taking in had a leak or something...got on the cardigan sweater I was carrying..  so it had cold, wet spots on it.  It was 62 in the office - the owner makes us turn the heat back that far at night.  I turned it up to 70 - technically I think that is a tad higher than we are supposed to, but at 70 in there it is comfy...68, still chilly. Well..an hour later, it was 1 degree warmer.  I didn't put on my cardigan because of the cold wet spots on it.  There was a sweater in the back room that one woman brought in and left..sort of for whoever gets cold.  It is her husbands and huge.  I did not care.  I normally don't get cold like the others in there.  I was freezing.  My feet never got warm.  It finally got up to 67 just before 1 pm.  The furnace had been running nonstop since I raised the temp.  It shut off when it was still at 67.  I made sure it was still set to 70 - it is a digital themostat and after so many hours it reverts back to like 66 or 68 or something.  It was still on 70.  My manager got back right after that.  In 30 minutes the temp in the office dropped 5 degrees ..you could tell it was getting colder.  When I left it had dropped more, and was down to 61.  I made a call on my cell in the parking lot..only a few minutes.  But manager came out for something..told me it had dropped to 59.

A place a few doors down from us had busted water lines - it use to be a beauty shop, but they moved, so the place is vacant.  The owner has to deal with heating/cooling repairs.  Sometime after I left yesterday, a repair guy came - I'm kind of surprised they were able to go in that fast.  The furnace needs a new motor and it had to be ordered.  It was supposed to come overnight and be put in today.  They never showed back up and didn't call.  I was in another office doing bookkeeping stuff...with heat.  They had to sit in that office today with no heat just in case the repair people showed up.  Instead of telling the repair guy to stop by the other office first - just a block or 2 away I think - or calling..oh no.  They had to sit there and freeze.  They had a few small electric heaters going, but they keep kicking the circuits out.  It is a mess.

I was fine when I went to work yesterday.  The longer I was there, my throat dried out more, which made me cough.  By the time I left, my voice was horse.  A few hours later at home, I could barely talk.  I'm still the same way now.  I was supposed to work in my normal office tomorrow morning..be the only one in there to answer the phone for like 3 hours.  That isn't going to work with my voice this way. My manager knows what is going on.  She got someone else to work.  I'm going to the office with working heat to do other bookkeeping stuff that has to be done for the end of 2013.  I'm supposed to work Friday..and it is supposed to be warmer on Friday.  However, I don't want to work in there with no heat again.  I'm already thinking that if my voice is still like this, I'll call off. 

I feel fine.  I coughed a few times earlier, but that was it.  I'm not constantly coughing or anything.  I just have no voice.  It is annoying.  And I'm a bit...umm...well...irked.