Author Topic: I deserve a flogging  (Read 11516 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: I deserve a flogging
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »
I didn't feel I was spoilering something.  :-[
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
From what I read I think you were merely the one who started the ball rolling and the main "offenders" came after you.

Good question though. Is it "ever" o.k. to disclose vital plot details (like the content of Soylent Green) or should it be o.k. "at some point"... :hmmmm:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »
From what I read I think you were merely the one who started the ball rolling and the main "offenders" came after you.

Good question though. Is it "ever" o.k. to disclose vital plot details (like the content of Soylent Green) or should it be o.k. "at some point"... :hmmmm:

Maybe it was indeed a bit unfortunate to disclose this in a "contribution discussion" but in a serious on-topic discussion it's practically impossible to discuss a book / a movie / a TV show without disclosing the content. It would be a meta-discussion.

And I wouldn't like a discussion that looks like this:

Joe Sixpack:
(click to show/hide)

Max Mustermann:
(click to show/hide)

John Doe:
(click to show/hide)

Otto Normalverbraucher:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:13:58 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Touti

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »
As I recall, a spoiler tag has been requested a few times over there but again it met a deaf ear.  Maybe people should have thought a little instead of coming at me with rakes and shovels when I suggested 2 years ago that they use a real forum software with all current functionalities that you find everywhere else.

It took nothing but 3 minutes to add spoilers here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
but in a serious on-topic discussion it's practically impossible to discuss a book / a movie / a TV show without disclosing the content. It would be a meta-discussion.
You'll get no disagreement from me here and I doubt even anyone at Invelos would disagree.

RossRoy

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »
but in a serious on-topic discussion it's practically impossible to discuss a book / a movie / a TV show without disclosing the content. It would be a meta-discussion.
You'll get no disagreement from me here and I doubt even anyone at Invelos would disagree.

I always thought that spoilers stay spoiler forever, BUT, that once a spoiler warning is posted in a thread, there's no need to repeat it all the time within the same thread (unless the spoiler warning actually hides the text, like it does here). It is the reader's responsibility to avoid topics where something information about a show he hasn't watched might be spoiled.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
I have to agree with Sebastien on this one. Just like I have just recently became a fan of classic movies. I have no idea what happens in movies such as Gone with the Wind... so if I can't expect people to be kind enough to post spoiler warnings... if I want to stay clear of spoilers I have to stay out of any and all discussions dealing with whatever movie I never seen.

Just like I was spoiled on what Soylent Green is... I was always wanting to see that movie before I got spoiled... now I am like whenever I get to see it I get to see it.

Another thing that happened to me.... shortly after Vanilla Sky came out someone spoiled the ending for me right after I purchased the dvd... now because I can not forget the spoiler.... every time I look at the cover to consider watching it... that spoiler pops into mind... and now because of that... all these years of owning it... I still never watched it.
Pete

Touti

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
Pete,

Soylent Green is still an interesting movie to watch even you know what the "Soylents" are made of.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »
Like I've already said it easy to don't have a movie spoil : Just don't read

I agree that it doesn't work if :

someone told you, you could always punch him before he tell it (I'm not serious on this  :laugh:)
or
another show does it (The Simpsons is probably the worst offender)
or
the trailer told you (I don't really like to watch them because of that)

Imagine if you know the end of "The Sixth Sense" or "Citizen Kane" or "Soylent Green" why bother to watch them...
At least we have the spoiler tag here : without it there no way I will have discuss the end of "The Mist".

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
But if a movie is only worth watching because you don't know the end yet - is it worth watching at all?

Does The Sixth Sense become bad just because you know that "you know what"?
Karsten

Touti

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
But if a movie is only worth watching because you don't know the end yet - is it worth watching at all?

I believe it depends on the movie and whether you've already seen it or not. Soylent Green is still a good movie to watch even if you've already seen it.

The Sixth Sense, Vanilla Sky, I'll probably never watch them again because there's really nothing interesting in them once you've seen it.  However, if I had never seen them but knew how they end I'd probably still want to watch them.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »
Of course not... but when you first go to watch something the last thing you want to see is a spoiler for it. And staying away from threads all together is a possibility when you know ahead of time what the thread is about. But what about our marathon reviews? kinda hard to stay away from when you don't even know what has been watched from the title or if it contains any spoilers... and once you look... it only takes a second for your eye to pick up on something you didn't want to see.

Don't get me wrong... I know you have to have some leeway to be able to discuss any movie or show. But I do whole heartedly believe any major plot points should always be spoiler warnings... no matter how old the movie/show is. To me that is only a matter of respect for anyone that even MAY not have seen it. I for one always do my best to make any review/discussion on a movie/show I do spoiler free. Luckily here there is the spoiler tags... so it is extremely easy to hide any major spoilers.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »

I believe it depends on the movie and whether you've already seen it or not. Soylent Green is still a good movie to watch even if you've already seen it.

The Sixth Sense, Vanilla Sky, I'll probably never watch them again because there's really nothing interesting in them once you've seen it.  However, if I had never seen them but knew how they end I'd probably still want to watch them.

I personally still enjoy The Sixth Sense... and I must have watched that movie a dozen times already... in my opinion it really depends on the individual... not the movie. Luckily the first time I saw it was at the theater when it first opened... so there was no chance of a spoiler on that one for me.

But it is really disappointing to me that I bought Vanilla Sky shortly after the DVD release and I went on some board (forget which now) and as soon as I opened the post the ending was given away without any type of warning what so ever.... and now I still can't get myself to watch the movie since I just can't seem to forget that spoiler. Maybe one of these days... but I know even when I do get to watch it... it just won't be the same experience now.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »

Depend of the movie. I enjoy the majority of my movie even if I know the end. The problem with "The Sixth Sense" or "unbreakable" is that those movies are not really enjoyable anymore when you know the twist. I've seen them one time on vhs and don't have a urge to see them again, because without the twist those movies aren't that great or original. In the other hand I'll watch "Citizen Kane" one or two time a year even if I know the end, because this movie has more to it than just a twist.

Touti

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 07:48:04 PM »

Depend of the movie. I enjoy the majority of my movie even if I know the end. The problem with "The Sixth Sense" or "unbreakable" is that those movies are not really enjoyable anymore when you know the twist. I've seen them one time on vhs and don't have a urge to see them again, because without the twist those movies aren't that great or original. In the other hand I'll watch "Citizen Kane" one or two time a year even if I know the end, because this movie has more to it than just a twist.

That's exactly what I meant.  Some movies are interested only because of the twist, if you know it there really is nothing left to see.