Author Topic: I deserve a flogging  (Read 11494 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: I deserve a flogging
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
But if a movie is only worth watching because you don't know the end yet - is it worth watching at all?

Does The Sixth Sense become bad just because you know that "you know what"?
Depend of the movie. I enjoy the majority of my movie even if I know the end. The problem with "The Sixth Sense" or "unbreakable" is that those movies are not really enjoyable anymore when you know the twist. I've seen them one time on vhs and don't have a urge to see them again, because without the twist those movies aren't that great or original. In the other hand I'll watch "Citizen Kane" one or two time a year even if I know the end, because this movie has more to it than just a twist.

Please don't say anything about Citizen Kane... I haven't seen that one yet.  Even if it is more then just a twist... I don't want to know the twist!  ;D

Never used to be interested in classics so I always stayed completely away from discussions on the classics... so not many of them got spoiled on me yet.  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »
Citizen Kane I think is the only film I have seen that improves with each viewing. There is a twist of sorts, but it is so much a part of the fabric of the film, that you really have to see it more than once to appreciate it.

I envy you not knowing it, Pete, and I will not reveal a damn thing! I implore you to watch it as soon as possible, so you can come on here and say how much you didn't like it, and then we can persuade you to watch it again. And you'll love it.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
LOL.... well I will have to add it to my collection first. Is there multiple (R1) releases?... a version I should look for?
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »
Please don't say anything about Citizen Kane... I haven't seen that one yet.  Even if it is more then just a twist... I don't want to know the twist!  ;D

Never used to be interested in classics so I always stayed completely away from discussions on the classics... so not many of them got spoiled on me yet.  :P
Don't worry I won't spoil it. But go buy this one fast (one of the best American movie ever made in my opinion) and take this edition

Very complete, with a commentary by Roger Ebert and a great documentary on the film contreversy (The Battle Over Citizen Kane).

edit : add the Amazon link for Pete Link
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:19:38 PM by AESP_pres »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »
Thanks... Will try to get that one as soon as I can... but may have to wait till June... as I am not supposed to buy any dvds next month. (My Birthday).... but it is now on one of my wishlists I am handing out to people. :)
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »
That's exactly what I meant.  Some movies are interested only because of the twist, if you know it there really is nothing left to see.

And this would make it a really weak movie, IMO.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
That's exactly what I meant.  Some movies are interested only because of the twist, if you know it there really is nothing left to see.

And to add to this
(click to show/hide)
who was released at the same time and use almost the same basic story is a movie that I enjoy rewatching. The acting is better, the story is better and it not base only on the twist.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:12 AM »

Agreed. If only the twist ending makes a movie interesting, it seems like wasted time. I wouldn't count The Sixth Sense into that category
(click to show/hide)
but "The Village" or also "Vanilla Sky". The latter just didn't have enough meat to them for me to grant additional viewings.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »
Another thing that happened to me.... shortly after Vanilla Sky came out someone spoiled the ending for me right after I purchased the dvd... now because I can not forget the spoiler.... every time I look at the cover to consider watching it... that spoiler pops into mind... and now because of that... all these years of owning it... I still never watched it.

Fear not. For you are missing nothing.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »
LOL... yeah... that is the one thing I have to make myself feel better about the whole thing... pretty much everywhere I see that it was a very unliked movie... so that does make it somewhat easier. :)
Pete