Author Topic: Attacked by a jackhammer!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Attacked by a jackhammer!
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:12:01 PM »
Just an hour ago I was laying in bed, sleeping soundly, not a care in the world.

Then, all of a sudden, I hear a jackhammer chipping away in bursts at my back porch just outside of my window. But I'm still half asleep. Maybe it was something else. There is construction going down at the end of the street but this was far, far louder than anything I had heard over there even while standing outside. It is right here next to me.

So, I listen. . . . .  *brrrrr-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-dt*

What the?! Now I realize, though the sound is rattling my entire room, the sound is focused higher. Maybe instead of the concrete porch the sound is coming from tall columns on the porch.

*brrrrr-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-dt*

But they are hollow. No way would... what ever this is.... cause the columns to sound that way. Enough things have hit them in the past. They make a hollow noise like hitting a tree.... hmmm..... "hollow" ...... I wonder....

So I get out of bed and head outside, still a little dazed. I head to and look up at the top of the column. Certain I know what the noise is now.

Ok, I am now certain, but it's not the column. It seems further over this way... but why? There's nothing over there . . . unless . . .

*slaps forehead*

A woodpecker decided it would be a good idea to search for food inside the top of the metal rain gutter right above my window. The outside wall of my bedroom is particularly thin which leaves no insulation for drowning out noise. My bedroom is on the second floor and there is a downspout that ends at about the middle of the wall (where the first floor roof begins. The water then drains down that roof into the first floor gutter.) I have hated these gutters since day one. Combined with my thin walls, when rain is finished and only drips are left behind, just like a leaky faucet, one by one, drops fall and hit the bottom edge of the metal downspout.

*dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink dink*

As one who likes complete silence when I am trying to go to sleep, you can imagine how annoying that is. But instead of tiny soft drops of water, this morning the sound was of the hardened beak of a woodpecker searching for breakfast.

:stars:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Attacked by a jackhammer!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
 :laugh:

You couldn't sleep at my house - there are lots of them in my neighborhood.

My problem the last few months are Perigrine Falcons.

There have been many nesting pairs over the last few years in several buildings downtown - most notably at the Statler Towers.

Here's a picture of their newest babies.

One of the babies from 3 years ago has now grown, found a mate and has made their home in the old Central Terminal right behind my house.

The problem is the parents spent the summer dive bombing anyone who came close to their nest! They even had to cancel a fund raiser for the terminal because they were afraid someone was going to get hurt.

Here is one of the 3 babies that was born in my backyard being branded by the Dept. of Environmental Convervation.

Why shouldn't you go near them? Imagine being attacked by this coming at you at greater than 200 mph (322 km)! Be afraid...be very afraid!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
 :laugh: Great story!

While I can sleep through reasonable amount of noise, I also need it rather quiet for falling asleep.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
Great story, great writing.

:thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:38:55 AM »
That would be annoying.  Though I can't sleep if it is completely quiet.  I have to have the tv or radio or something on.  If the power goes off when I'm asleep, it wakes me up immediately.

BigTim

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:43:37 AM »
I must agree... excellent writing!  Great narrative.  Terribly inconvenient though.  I have to have an Air Conditioner and Fan running all night. (Southern United States - Florida) so pretty much year round.  No TV or Radio but definitely some background noise.  I run a Battery Backup UPS for everything on this side of the house (Bed Room Area) so it's never gone totally silent except the House A/C going off.  That definitely gets my attention quickly though as it heats up rather fast quite frequently and I get it fixed ASAP.  I think Kathy scared me more... Peregrine Falcons can be downright mean... and supremely dangerous.  I saw a Discovery Channel Show... they are the Worlds Fastest Animal able to dive at over 220 miles per hour.  SCARY!!!!!!!!  That would hurt anyone and anything it would collide with.  Hope the Woodpecker moved on quickly and you are able to resume resting  :)

Big Tim