Author Topic: Torture. Thy Name be Cold Turkey...  (Read 2987 times)

Najemikon

Torture. Thy Name be Cold Turkey...
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »
I decided for various reasons to see if I could pull off a little experiment. Don't buy any DVDs throughout March :training: :suicide: and thus far, I've done very well. Last DVD purchased was Tell No One on 20th Feb (plus a newspaper freebie La Dolce Vita on 24th). But it just got a lot harder because Find DVD sent me an email yesterday and three of my wishlist have hit my target price... in fact, they didn't hit it, they obliterated it! ARGH! :(

I will NOT have a March purchase date in my database. No. No. And No.

"Get thee behind me, Find DVD" :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Torture. Thy Name be Cold Turkey...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
I have this urge to place an order (actually two) and try to postpone until April 1. I have the feeling I won't make it... :bag:

:thumbup: to you, Jon, good luck! Just a few more days, I am sure the target price will last that long ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
Jon do as I do, find something who will be release in april to order with the dvd that you want and write that you want the order deliver in one package. That way you will receive it only when the other dvd will be release.

Advantage : you don't buy anything in march
Disavantage : you don't necessary want another dvd

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »
Nice idea, Jimmy, but against my reasoning for doing this, it would constitute cheating, I'm afraid! :-X

The point is, I did look ahead in February and saw quite a few release dates this month that I was interested in. I just wanted to see if I could ignore them altogether. Another way of looking at it: can I concentrate on and appreciate the collection I have, rather than the one I plan to have? Because the latter is a teasing phantom! :laugh:

Hmmm. Can I make it to May?  :tomato:

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »
Hmmm. Can I make it to May?  :tomato:

Don't know about you, but I gave up trying this.. Each time I tried, I ended up binge buying a lot more than I would've otherwise. :suicide:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »
Why would you want to?

Go ahead - give in - you know you want to. Just call me "The Enabler"!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »
can I concentrate on and appreciate the collection I have, rather than the one I plan to have?
But you take a risk that a dvd that you want will be oop when you will decide to buy it. That happen a couple of time for me, I hate to miss something I want and pay 3 or 4 time the price that I would have paid if I've decide to bought immediatly.

That's why I've bought "1900 - Novecento" last year, just a rumour that it will be oop soon. Is it? No idea, but I'm sure that I've it. In fact I've not watch it yet, never find a good time to watch it since is running time is 5h16.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »
Nah, there's nothing rare on my wishlist at the moment. I did get concerned about the new release of Hell Drivers, but I bought that last month.

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 01:58:34 AM »
But you take a risk that a dvd that you want will be oop when you will decide to buy it.

I got burned on Transformers (the G1 cartoon, not the movie) like that. Turned out not too bad, but still paid more than I would've if I had bought them as they came out.

Touti

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »
Jon, have a friend buy the DVD's now and sell them back to you in April ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:52 PM »
Again with the cheating! :slaphead: Good idea though...

NO! :redcard:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
Jon march is over  ;D

Now it's the time to buy some dvd, you have bought nothing since february 20. I think that it's the time to reward yourself  :clap:

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
What's weird is that CDWOW sent me an email link to a silly April fool quiz. Ten true or false questions based on classic pranks. It was very easy and as a reward they have sent me 10 £1 vouchers and 1 £2 voucher!  :clap:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »
What's weird is that CDWOW sent me an email link to a silly April fool quiz. Ten true or false questions based on classic pranks. It was very easy and as a reward they have sent me 10 £1 vouchers and 1 £2 voucher!  :clap:
They probably did that because you hadn't purchased there in a while :hysterical: (...and were getting scared to go out of business :hysterical:)

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 07:24:04 PM »
They probably did that because you hadn't purchased there in a while :hysterical: (...and were getting scared to go out of business :hysterical:)

Yeah, they still might. They have nothing I want at a fair price that I can't get anywhere else significantly cheaper, and you can't combine vouchers. :( Looks like they might not get used. :suicide:

Still nothing ordered yet... :-[