Author Topic: A little rant...  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
A little rant...
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
I rarely goes politic as it is kind of like walking on a thin edge and create drama... and the only drama we are interested in around here is movie drama.

So to make a long story short in the last couple of month I had started to watch Charmed and, as usual, after the third seasons it feels like a chore to me more than anything else but this isn't the point...

So to combine work and pleasure I'll redo all my profiles (believe me TV stuff is a lot of works...). This isn't the point either... but kind of.

Tonight while doing the episode 6.3 I was wondering what happened to Jennifer Sky as we don't see her anymore and she wasn't a bad actress.

So doing some research I did fall on this

'ObamaCare' Saved My Life -- a Maxim Cover Girl Shares Her Story

Like I said I won't go all politics but this is quite sad when someone who had always worked since she was teenagers, suffers from a disease in her thirties and is treated like a piece of crap by her health insurance... Sometimes I complaint because I think I pay too much taxes here but at least I know that if I became suddenly ill I will not be out of a job because no-insurance would cover me.

Sorry guy end of my rant

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A little rant...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
Working in the medical field I've long felt that there needed to be something done about health care in the US.

I know that some feel that the government has no place in health care but it's too late for that. Pharmaceutical companies, lobbyists, attorneys, corporations etc. spend billions of dollars a year doing just that.

If those dollars were put into actually taking care of people over the years the situation wouldn't be as bad as it is.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
I've been thankful to the NHS so many times in my life with how they have cared and looked after so many members of my family and my friends. Nobody should have to pay for health care. In the UK, nobody is exempt, even if you come here on holiday and break your neck, we'll look after you as long as you need. If you want private healthcare, then guess what, you can still get it.

I found this to be funny a few years ago, and Hawking was on TV here a lot sticking up for the NHS:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/hawking_british_and_alive/

Long live the NHS.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
I know that some feel that the government has no place in health care but it's too late for that.
The contrary happen sometimes here... Some political party wants to create a private health sector and everytime they are laugh at. Nobody here (except the few wealthy) want to see the private sector mess our healthcare system. Sure it is far from perfect, but nobody is left behind... Our parents had seen what is a non-public system when they were young and they sure don't want to return to that.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
Health care is a huge mess here.  Unfortunately, that has happened to a lot of people. 
I work with someone who couldn't afford insurance..and the employer didn't have to offer it because we technically aren't considered full time.  She got breast cancer..she did get treatment, but she is still paying off the hospital..and they turned her into collections because she couldn't pay the whole crazy high bill at once.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
Health care Everything is a huge mess here.

Fixed.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the basic reason is for "Obamacare" causing such controversy? I just can't get my head around it. I've seen a couple of documentaries highlighting where your private system has badly let someone down.

One stuck in my mind about a young couple who had a baby. The child fell very seriously ill and it took the Doctors a while to work out the cause. Fair enough and eventually everything was brought under control. Good job all round.

Except mum and dad now have a bill against their name for around $2 million, are unlikely to ever have a good credit rating, and will always, always be in debt. To me that is entirely unacceptable for a modern world, yet Obama's efforts were met with very strong and vocal support.

The NHS is far from perfect and desperately needs some decent managing and an overhaul. We have a problem we've spoken about on here before, nicknamed the Postcode Lottery; you and your neighbour may have identical conditions, but if you fall in different postcodes then your doctors use different authorities. One may allow full and substantial treatment, the other gives barely enough to survive. Sometimes less!

But that is relatively rare and we can supplement free healthcare with private anyway. I had a phantom hernia years ago and the NHS system got me right up to surgery before realizing it was no such thing. Their physios were poor, so I had a couple of private appointments who diagnosed a problem with my hip. Then went back to my doctor, told him the findings and now they knew how to manage it.

It's all about options.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the basic reason is for "Obamacare" causing such controversy?
Certainly not me Jon :shrug:

As I came from a country where the states care about the health of its citizen as you I just can't understand why a country who was at some point one of the richest in the world care so less about its population...

One thing for sure, I'm proud of the social safety net built through the years by my grand parents, my parents and me in our little province of less than 10 millions citizens. No one here is left on the side wich is better than most canadian provinces or north american countries.

Yes I pay a lot of taxes but I can live with that... money isn't everything.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:51:21 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
I don't get it either. 

Part of it is that it says people have to buy insurance or pay a fine...which the supreme court has now said is a tax.

People against it seem to claim that it is a hand out or entitlement.  Never mind that Congress has the best health care coverage in the country and votes in their own raises.

Also, it seems like some people are just against anything and everything Obama is for.  In the last election, some of the members of congress and senate being elected said their main goal was to oppose anything that Obama was for.  There is a lot of...hatred going on and people aren't exactly logical.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
In the last election, some of the members of congress and senate being elected said their main goal was to oppose anything that Obama was for.
This attitude is about the best reason I ever heard for not electing such people.
Hell they are supposed to govern a country and not to play the offended kid in kindergarten. ... Disgusting, really.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the basic reason is for "Obamacare" causing such controversy?

Athough the issue is complicated a friend of mine disagrees. He says the answer to this question is easy... it's "greed".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »
It is ridiculous...and they are acting like little kids throwing temper tantrums because they aren't getting their way.  They want it all their way and hell will freeze over before they give on anything. 
It is very disgusting. 
I'm already fed up with all the campaign ads.

Greed plays a big part in it too.  I think that under the new law, the insurance and drug companies can't do whatever they want like they have been doing.  So that would cut into their profits.