Author Topic: Month Long Superhero Marathon  (Read 6687 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Superhero Marathon
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
     Justice League Unlimited: Season One: Disc 4: DC Comics Classic Collection (2004/United States)

21. Question Authority
While investigating Cadmus, the Question discovers a secret that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Justice League.

22. Hunter's Moon (aka Mystery in Space)
When Shayera, Vigilante, and Vixen respond to a deep space distress call, they're led into a deadly trap.

23. Flashpoint
After an unexpected battle, Superman considers declaring war on Cadmus.

24. Panic in the Sky
When the founding members surrender to the government, the remaining League members fight to survive Cadmus' ultimate attack on the team.

25. Divided We Fall
When most of the Justice League is unavailable, the League's deadliest enemies emerge to take advantage of the chaos.

26. Epilogue
Sixty-five years in the future, the history of the Justice League is the key to Batman's darkest secret...and Terry McGinnis' final destiny.

Stars:
George Newbern as Superman
Jeffrey Combs as The Question
Amy Acker as The Huntress
Chris Cox as Captain Atom
Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor
Dana Delany as Lois Lane
Robert Foxworth as Professor Hamilton

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This disc finishes off the first season set. After complaining about it on the last disc review I did... I found myself really getting into the whole Cadmus storyline. It sucked me in to the point that I couldn't wait to watch the next episode. I enjoyed every second of all the episodes on this disc... but if I was forced to pick one favorite out of these episodes... I would probably go with Epilogue. Which was more of a Batman Beyond episode then a Justice League Unlimited... but I found it to be a good watch. I really like where they went with the storyline. At the end of the episode Batman was going to meet up with Superman. I wish they would have shown them meeting up. I was curios about how they would make Superman look after 65 years. I really enjoyed watching this set... and looking forward to watching the season two set. Just wish there was more then 13 episodes.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:20 PM »
     Justice League Unlimited: Season Two: Disc 1: DC Comics Classic Collection (2005/United States)

1. I am Legion
Lex Luthor is rescued from prison by a new villainous organization - the Legion of Doom!

2. Shadow of the Hawk
Batman doesn't like the looks of Carter Hall, Shayera's new boyfriend, when he learns that Carter has connections to Thanagar.

3. Chaos at the Earth's Core
Green Lantern's team of Stargirl, S.T.R.I.P.E., and Supergirl are diverted to Skartaris, a fantastic world beneath the Earth's surface, where they meet a new hero, The Warlord.

4. To Another Shore
Wonder Woman learns of a plot to steal the powers of the 3,000 year-old corpse of The Viking Prince.

5. Flash and Substance
The Flash must handle an onslaught of super-villains during the opening of a museum in his honor, and Batman and Orion lend a hand.

6. Dead Reckoning
The League comes to the aid of Boston Brand, the ghost of a deceased circus acrobat, who needs their help in recovering the souls of members of a monastic order.

7. Patriot Act
Green Arrow must lead a team of non-powered superheroes against a berserk super-soldier attacking Metropolis.

Stars:
George Newbern as Superman
Maria Canals as Shayera
Michael Rosenbaum as Flash
Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor
Powers Boothe as Gorilla Grodd
Corey Burton as Brainiac
Scott Patterson as Agent Faraday

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I just couldn't wait to check out a little of the final season. I really liked the addition of The Legion of Doom. Brings me back a bit... as I remember enjoying my first taste of The Legion of Doom while watching the Super Friends cartoon when I was a kid. I enjoyed all the episodes on this disc quite a bit... but if I had to pick a favorite of these episodes... I would probably go with Chaos at the Earth's Core. I liked the storyline... and I liked the combination of heroes used. Also interesting with this episode. They changed the outfit Supergirl wore. Instead of the white t-shirt type outfit it was something more similar to Superman's outfit. Almost like a formal uniform compared to a more casual uniform in previous episodes. Oddly that is the only episode on the disc with Supergirl... so don't know yet if the outfit is here to stay.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
     Thor (2011/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Kenneth Branagh
Writing:Ashley Edward Miller (Screenwriter), Zack Stentz (Screenwriter), Don Payne (Screenwriter), J. Michael Straczynski (Story By), Mark Protosevich (Story By), Stan Lee (1922) (Original Characters By), Larry Lieber (Original Characters By), Jack Kirby (Original Characters By)
Length:115 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Intense Sci-Fi Action and Violence
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Hemsworth as Thor
Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
Tom Hiddleston as Loki
Anthony Hopkins as Odin
Stellan SkarsgÄrd as Erik Selvig
Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis

Plot:
The world has many heroes... but only one is a god. When the arrogant warrior Thor (Chris Hemsworth, Star Trek) is banished to Earth from his homeworld of Asgard, he must fight to reclaim his lost powers. Pursued by an invasion force sent to destroy him, the fallen God of Thunder must rise to the battle and learn what it takes to become a true hero. Natalie Portman (Black Swan) and Anthony Hopkins (Beowulf) also star in the blockbuster adventure critics are calling "thrilling, entertaining and cool" (Harry Knowles, Ain't It Cool News)."

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I must admit... despite all the rave reviews... I went into this movie with low expectations. Not because I haven't enjoyed the other Marvel films I have seen... because I have, very much so. But because Thor was never a favorite character of mine. But I may have to rethink that after watching this movie. Just like the other Marvel movies... I enjoyed every moment of this one. I was never familiar with Chris Hemsworth... the only other movie I have with him is Star Trek... but But I thought he did a fantastic job in the title role. I am very embarrassed to say that through-out the entire movie I didn't even recognize Anthony Hopkins. I didn't realize he was in this movie until I start to write this review and saw his name come up. No wonder I was so impressed with work done on Odin. Another familiar face I was happy to see was that of Kat Dennings. An actress I have gotten to like quite a bit in the TV series 2 Broke Girls. An actress I hope to add more of to my collection. It surprised me how much I enjoyed the storyline. It has an interesting storyline... and plenty of great action. This is definitely a movie I would classify as Must See! Unfortunately this is a bare bones, ex-rental DVD... it is one I will eventually get upgraded.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
Matthias called Thor, the worst film of last year. The absolute worst, Pete.

I told him he was wrong.  :laugh:

I wouldn't go a full five, but it really was bloody good. Reminded me of Superman II, especially when he was rendered mortal and the other Gods came looking for him.

I've just subscribed to a series of Marvel graphic novels released in the UK. They are released bi-monthly in nice hardback editions and it's an excellent way to catch up with the key stories. I'm realising how much the films poach from the past and a fairly recent Thor was set in a similar place to the film. However it's more concerned with a scrap between him and Iron Man. It was epic and I'm hoping it's the path they follow in the movies. One of Thor's lines to Stark mid fight was something like "learn again the difference between a God of Thunder and a mortal man in a metal suit"!  :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »
 :laugh: I agree that he was wrong!  :tease:

I actually was thinking about that full five star rating myself. Wondering to myself if it came from the enjoyment of the movie or the surprise factor where I never cared for the character before this movie. I guess I will see for sure when I watch it a second time. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:18 AM »
     Captain America: The First Avenger (2011/United States)

Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Joe Johnston
Writing:Christopher Markus (Screenwriter), Stephen McFeely (Screenwriter), Joe Simon (Original Material By), Jack Kirby (Original Material By)
Length:124 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Violence and Action
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Evans as Captain America/Steve Rogers
Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter
Sebastian Stan as James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes
Tommy Lee Jones as Colonel Chester Phillips
Hugo Weaving as Johann Schmidt/Red Skull
Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark

Plot:
Captain America leads the fight for freedom in the action-packed blockbuster starring Chris Evans as the ultimate weapon against evil! When a terrifying force threatens everyone accross the globe, the world's greatest soldier wages war on the evil HYDRA organization, led by the villainous Red Skull (Hugo Weaving, The Matrix). Critics and audiences alike salute Captain America: The First Avenger as "pure excitement, pure action, and pure fun"*

*Bryan Erdy, CBS-TV/Movie Planet

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Unlike Thor... Captain America is a character I always liked a lot. I grew up watching him... from the cartoons to the '70s TV movies. Because of this I thought my expectations would be too high and I would end up disappointed. But I found I loved every second of it. The storyline kept my attention through-out. I thought all the actors did a great job. I don't normally like WWII storylines... just way too far before my time and I never been a history buff. But this movie I feel like I could watching it again right now. What a day... two movies in a row that I absolutely loved! As most of you already know... I seldomly give a full 5 out of 5 rating to anything I watch... and here today I felt the need to do it 2 times in a row! This movie had me hooked on the storyline... it had me enthralled in the action... and it even gave me a few laughs. What more can you ask for from a movie? While I can't think of a thing I would have changed about the movie... I wish I had a better DVD version. Unfortunately the one I have is a bare bones movie only release. Definitely one I hope to upgrade before too long.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 04:09:35 AM »
I really liked Thor when I saw it last year.
I haven't taken the time to go through the extras yet...but I have seen all the scenes after the credits.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
     Shazam: The Joyriders (1974)

A young man must figure out what to do when his friends insist on stealing cars and going on joy rides. Moral: It's important to do what you know is right, and not get conned into doing something dumb just because somebody calls you names. It often takes more courage to do what's right than to go along with the crowd

Stars:
Michael Gray as Billy Batson
Les Tremayne as Mentor
Jackson Bostwick as Captain Marvel
Kerry MacLane as Chuck Wagner
Barry Miller as Mike
Ty Henderson as Kyle
Lee Joe Casey as Rich

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:
This is a show... along with The Secrets of Isis... that I watched all the time as a kid. It is a single episode DVD that Warner Brothers released as an extra inside one of the box sets (I imagine The Secrets of Isis set) as a limited time bonus. I had always hoped the series would be released. No... it really isn't a particularly good show. It is geared towards kids... to teach them lessons.... giving them the moral of the story at the end of each episode. For some reason the moral was cut off the end on this DVD. It really isn't something a grown ups (even kids of today) would get into for any other reason the pure nostalgia if they watched the series in their childhood. In the case of this series they made Billy Batson in his upper teens instead of a younger child. Riding around in a van with an older man he called Mentor. It is a show that reminds me of my childhood... so for that reason alone I like to pop the disc in every now and then. I have had this disc since 2005... and I have watched it 3 times in the last seven years.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Good grief! And I get slagged off for my 5 stars.  :tease: I liked this film a lot, but definitely a solid 3. Lacked ambition and the ending is a slave to the story, spoiling the build-up. But still, big dumb fun.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
Well.... I guess that is all I needed from it!  :tease:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
You used to be so tough! A couple of 4.5's, maybe... now you're pimping your ratings!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Nope... just happened to hit on a couple in a row that I actually really enjoyed every second of. Just because you didn't enjoy them as much don't mean I couldn't. Or maybe the point of reviewing a movie here is to lie about how much you did or didn't enjoy something so that other people agree with you. Sorry but I won't do that. And to be honest I find it pretty insulting to hear such a comment just because someone don't agree with me.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
 ??? Ok, Pete. I'm just pulling your leg. :shrug: I've always enjoyed your reviews because you do just base them on enjoyment and I'm the last person who would call that into question. Don't worry, I'll keep quiet from now on.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
It's no problem at all Jon... I just get a little touchy when it seems like someone is questioning my honesty on anything that I say.... whether it is in a review like this or in everyday life. I know it is something I need to work on. Sorry I was a bit short tempered there.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
I never did question your honesty though. I'd have to think you had a reason to lie, but why would you? I certainly never have in my reviews.