Author Topic: I don't get it... How stupid is the school system around here!?!  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: I don't get it... How stupid is the school system around here!?!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »
OMG...what the hell is the matter with these teachers?  It is bad enough that sort of crap is posted online, but for a teacher to show in class??

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:00 AM »
Don't ask me I don't get it....

The only thing I can think of is that young teacher wants to be friend with their students as it make the job easier. But by doing this they forgot one important fact : they are an autority figure.

Guess they took the easiest way as so many parents do now...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:20:56 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:15 AM »
It's ridiculous.  No wonder so many things are in the mess they are.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
Don't ask me I don't get it....

The only thing I can think of is that young teacher wants to be friend with their students as it make the job easier. But by doing this they forgot one important fact : they are an autority figure.
How do you become the student's friend by showing them a snuff video...? This is outrageous. Seriously,what are these teachers trying to achieve by showing it? :stars:

If the description of the viedo in teh article is correct, as one of the parents I would sue the teacher!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 06:35:28 AM »
How do you become the student's friend by showing them a snuff video...?
As my brother told me today and I agree with him : "of course he is a popular teacher, he let the students decide what to do in place of doing his job".

I used the quote but of course he didn't say it in english as it wouldn't make sense considering we are french speakers :laugh:

If the description of the video in the article is correct
Do you mean the one linked in the Guardian article?

(click to show/hide)

If so, yes and no. Some facts aren't mentionned, but were mentionned in other articles.

as one of the parents I would sue the teacher!
Won't happen... we aren't a suing happy country here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:47:00 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
I so want to rant in this topic about a particular school system in the United States, but among other things I know that it will come off sounding racist even if I was to give direct statistics (pure "facts") and will turn into a novel before I press "Post."

So, I'll do my best to leave it at this: I live in the Southern United States. There is an education system in the U.S. called, "No Child Left Behind." I have an uncle who has worked at one of the schools for years, and these schools make the negative stereotypes of public schools (not there is anything wrong with going to public school if you want an education) look like Harvard and Yale Universities.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
There is an education system in the U.S. called, "No Child Left Behind."
Am I right to think they are the kind of school we see in the movies like Teachers (great movie by the way if you have never seen it) were the students can do whatever they want because the system doesn't give a damn about them and give a free diploma to anyone no matter how dumb you are?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:01:55 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
Am I right to think they are the kind of school we see in the movies like Teachers (great movie by the way if you have never seen it) were the students can do whatever they want because the system doesn't give a damn about them and give a free diploma to anyone no matter how dumb you are?

Sounds like a school system which adjusts their teachings to the lowest common denominator.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Nothing could beat the Buffalo school system. They fired the head guy due to incompetence. But not before giving him a huge bonus not called for in his contract.

In looking for a new candidate, they narrowed the list to 3. One of thme delayed the process by calling in unable to show up the day of their scheduled interview. Guess which one the school board hired?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
Guess which one the school board hired?
The one who wasn't professional enough to came the day he was scheduled for his interview :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »
No child left behind is a joke.  In theory maybe it was ok, but the reality is all the teachers get done is instructing students on how to pass standardized tests.  This ...program started in Texas before it was pushed on every state.  I remember seeing an in depth news report on it and how the students that passed the standardized tests and graduated with high GPAs then flunked out of college.  All they could do was study to pass a multiple choice type test.  They had no reading comprehension for anything longer than a paragraph or two.  Even though the students were taking college prep type classes in high school, they weren't prepared for college at all.  And now that is happening all over.  They don't have to read books and do book reports anymore.  They don't write term papers..just focus on that test.  Evidently there are ways to get through those types of tests even without knowing stuff.  Heck, I'm going to have to pass a test with the IRS to keep working by the end of next year.  We got this huge book this year to study from and there are test taking tips. One of them is about if you are running out of time and still have a lot of questions left, pick one letter and use it for all the remaining questions.  Don't bother to read any of them.  Just randomly pick a letter and go with it.  Someone I work with said he was told that with some test he had to take for the army reserves.  So that sort of stuff is probably being told to kids in school to get them to pass the tests.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »

Am I right to think they are the kind of school we see in the movies like Teachers

Not exactly (but close,) at least in how it is done here. <--- (even as I was typing that simple reply, I got into a rant and had to delete about 400 words of frustration, so, again, *shuts up*

(Actually, only members can read this forum section, right? :whistle:)
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
(Actually, only members can read this forum section, right? :whistle:)

No, everyone can.
The members only area is "The Shadow Level". ;)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
Sorry, but I really don't get the problem of this case.

The video obviously is on the Internet and therefore can be watched at any time by anyone.
The children knew about this video, so it's more than likely that some of them already watched it, and others would have watched it in the near future (and if only to see what the fuzz is all about).
Personally I'd prefer a supervised showing of this video with a following discussion about what was to be seen, over a bunch of giggling teenagers watching this video on a party, thinking how cool this was.
School is not for showing how beautiful life can be (That's Hollywood's job), it's there to prepare the children for the real life that follows.

But it seems I'm quite alone with this opinion.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
I'm an avid proponent for free speech that video is not appropriate for anyone under the age of 18.

It is true that, being online, it could be seen. But, the classroom is not a place that murder, sex and cannibalism should be shown.

I have no problem discussing the issue if the children raised the issue. But to actually view it? No.