Author Topic: Favorite musical pieces  (Read 6128 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Favorite musical pieces
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
I have been listening to Japanese music also. Mainly songs I knew through anime.
I even have a few complete CDs from some artists. For example the CD "Time Note" from Oku Hanako. I like this CD a lot. Two of the songs some of you already may know if you have seen "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time".

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
I never understood the appeal. How in the hell did she become so famous, when there are countless better singers out there?

The woman can't even adjust to the situation for crying out loud! If she's singing a duet? She fighting to stay "on top". There's no musicality to just about anything she does. Jazz? Forget it, she wants to upstage anyone who gets in her way.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »
I don't (and will never) have a favorite song of all times but my favorite of the moment, without hesitation, is Santana's version of "While my guitar gently weeps" on his new album "Guitar Heaven".  People who think older guitarists can no longer play ought to go hide in shame after listening to that.

RossRoy

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:18 AM »
Just listened to the Santana version.. meh! Santana's guitar playing is awesome, as always, but the complete package falls way short. Sound way too "pop-ish" for my taste.

But you can't beat that!

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 03:29:49 AM »
The Beatles were good but on this song specifically, most versions are better than the original. You're a purist Seb ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 06:33:45 AM »
The Beatles were good but on this song specifically, most versions are better than the original. You're a purist Seb ;)

Well probably. But I also have a tendency to always prefer the first version I hear.. ;)

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
So do I Seb, and most of the times, although the remakes are good, the original is usually the best one but there are a few exceptions.  One that comes to mind is "Refugee", the original isn't a bad song but Melissa Etherdige's version is much better.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:54 AM »
I have one !!!! I have a favorite song, I found it !!!!  :thundergod: :yahoo: :clap: :clapcheer: :drunk: :egyptian:

How I managed not to think about it until tonight I will never know but I know what my favorite song is.

Spanish Train from Chris de Burgh.

I once heard a live version of it on the radio, it was back in 1989 and I still remember that night.  At the time I was living in Sutton in the Eastern Township, that was shortly after I had surgery in my lower back and was still unable to work.  Late on a Saturday evening I turned on the TV and while zapping I ended on a channel with only an audio feed, I believe they "re-broadcasting" the feed from CHOM-FM.  

I caught it just in time for the beginning of the broadcast, I even remember the introduction............."Tonight.......Rock Etcetera brings you Ireland's modern troubadour........and one of finest musical story teller in the world....................Chris de Burgh.....................In Concert"................and then it started............."There's a Spanish Train that runs between.......................Guadalquivir and old Saville"..................

I've loved that song ever since, enjoyed every version he's ever made and never god tired of listening to it.  I'm really an antisocial person and I avoid crowds as much as I can but I've seen him in concert 4 times.  Last one was a few years ago at Place des Arts here in Montreal.  The man gave a two and half hours uninterrupted performance alone on stage.............not bad for a guy over 60.

Oh and while I'm at it, there's an interesting story behind Spanish Train.  He came up with the idea while he was actually on train, I don't know if it was really between Guadalquivir and Saville though.  Alongside the railroad there was fences and spikes and while he was kinda dozing he felt they looked like skulls.

So he started thinking "What if they were skulls", his imagination took over and that led to the Spanish Train song.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:56:11 AM by Eric »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
While surfing to check for some Christmas music don't ask sometimes cruising trough YouTube brings you far from the reason you were there in the first place...

Anyway one of the only talented rock band of this period and I love them as much as I did more than 20 years ago... Even at 41 I can't resist and set the sound volume as high as I can, anyway it's the only way to really enjoy  ;D

BTW I've seen Vince Neil live in the early 2000 and the show was great... at least his part, Skid Row was there too and they suck big time :thumbdown:

So turn up the volume and enjoy ;D