Author Topic: John Rambo / Rambo  (Read 1498 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
John Rambo / Rambo
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:30:58 AM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8M1KiXWWTxg

In Germany the first parts of this series are called "Rambo", "Rambo II - Der Autrag", "Rambo III". Thus the foruth part got the US working title "John Rambo" to distinct it from the first part. I have to confess, I like it better because it resembles the title of the last Rocky movie, "Rocky Balboa".

Yesterday I went to the theatre. Unfortunately, JR is cut in Germany (~1 minute) but I wanted to see a Rambo movie in the theatres. And you got what you paid for: A very monosyllabic Rambo and a fight in which those survive which are allowed to survive by John.

Regarding cuts: The archive footage at the beginning is seen. When children are shot, men get limbs hacked off, women are raped: all that can you see. But when Rambo kills the bad guys then every gore is cut out, for whatever reason. Don't ask me why I couldn't tell you if my life would depend on it.

If you watch the above trailer you see everything you won't see in a german theatre.

Additionally I missed the scene where the priest and Rambo prayed.

It was intended to let Rambo tell us his view on the world but Stallone decided to cut it out because Rambo is more the quiet guy:

"Old men start wars. Young men fight them. And everyone in the middle gets killed. War is natural. Peace is an accident. We're animals."

My opinion: JR is a movie in the tradition of the Rambo movies and I will buy it uncut in RC1-country.

PS: Ironically the female lead is Julie Benz who plays the vampire Darla in the series "Angel" I'm currently watching.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Peter von Frosta

Re: John Rambo / Rambo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »
Maybe Rambo will get an uncut treatment over here, you never know. Or at least our friendly neighbours, the austrians.

However, I took advantage of the fact that Wuppertal is just some half an hour away from Venlo, and I watched it uncut (with some funny subtitles though).
To be honest, I believe this must be the most brutal mainstream movie ever shot, and it is very unpleasent. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good straight forward action flick that at least tries to show you the brutality of war (although people don't get thrown through the air by gunshots as shown on a recent Mythbusters episode ;)) and a surprisingly old John Rambo.
Yes, Stallone looks old and fat, but the movie actually uses that. Instead of showing off how skilled he is, John mostly makes use of superior firepower of outthinks the enemy. Very different from the one man fighting maschine of the earlier incarnations.

I think 7/10 is fair.

lovemunkey187

Re: John Rambo / Rambo
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »
Went to see this last weekend and absolutely loved it.

Blood, bullets and body parts everywhere :yahoo:

A proper old school action film, with little to no plot to interfere with the business of blowing shit up. 4.9/5.
(click to show/hide)
[/color]