Author Topic: DC Reboot  (Read 2836 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
DC Reboot
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
And here I was pondering the idea to actually pick up a Superman comic in fall when they reboot the entire DC universe - but pairing up Superman with Wonder Woman and not Lois Lane? I immediately lost interest again.

DC Universe Reboot Confirmed: 52 new #1s headed your way in September.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: DC Reboot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
This is bloody ridiculous. Another reboot? Really? It just goes to prove how thin the quality of US mainstream comic writing really is and how marketing led it is. As a reader, you're supposed to invest in the characters, yet if you like them, you have to be sure they aren't going to be lost in the next cull. Surely they're not killing loads off again, are they? And please say the 'first' issues aren't origin stories again.

I've read 2000ad since the early 90s. It's been running since 1977 with Judge Dredd in every issue but for the first couple. You know how many "reboots" he's had? None. We've had flashbacks, we've had clones, we've had alternative dimensions, but the timeline is solid. Dredd is one man, always has been. When a character dies in a 2000ad strip, they stay dead. Well... except for Johnny Alpha, which did smack of the writer suddenly realising he'd killed off a fan favourite in a very poor way!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »
Good grief...that's just..stupid. 
Here I am just getting some stuff about certain characters straight..now they are going to go and mess it up again?  And Superman and Wonder Woman?  Um..no.  Hell no.  This has the potential to really tick me off...screwing up stuff.. grrr. Not that I know everything about the characters, but there are certain things that just shouldn't be screwed with even if they have the need to go and reboot yet again.
Lois and Clark were kept apart for decades before they finally got to be together.  Messing that up will piss me off...yes I know some readers of the comics don't like them together, but I do like them together and don't want that to change.

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »
I dislike this, too.  Thank God I stopped buying comic books about 11 years ago.  This, to me, just shows the total lack of originality in comics today.  I wonder if the real reason they're doing this isn't that they've already killed off all the good characters and they want to mess them up (errr, write for them) again...  :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »
You may be on to something there.
Or they just don't want to have to make any attempt to follow what has been established before.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »
If you like comics and feel like you're losing the faith, buy British.  :devil:

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
I still enjoy reading comics...but the rare time I decide to get something, I usually buy older stories.  I like DC's hardbound Archive books (though they are expensive) and their black & white Showcase Presents paperbound books.  Unfortunately, they seem to be stopping as far as bringing more out.  Maybe I will try ordering a few more this weekend.  I'm not sure what ones I need...maybe a Flash or a Green Lantern...

Najemikon

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
If they decided to go ahead and do a reboot, I can understand completely changing the mythology. Why? Well, how many 100s of times can Superman save Louis, learn who he is, forgetting who he is, tell his secret and get married to a Louis rather clone rather than the real one, going through all of this again except it happened to be a parallel universe and didn't matter, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on, and so on?

It's difficult to write something original as it is. More so when you have been locked into a specific set of mythological guidelines, particularly when those guidelines continue to grow tighter with every story. Can YOU write an original story that has never been written before but sits inside of all of the current rule sets for the DC universe?

We're not talking about there being three Daniel LaRusso and one Julie Pierce Karate Kid films, taking a break, and then coming up with a new story with a new character over 15 years later. We're talking about there being nearly 2,000 Superman stories alone that have followed one of a few general paths since the 30s to today. You can only makes the same turns so many times before you get utterly bored or intentionally get completely lost so that once you find your way again it will feel fresh once more.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Superman and Wonder Woman are a couple, have two children: Superboy and Captain Marvel *snicker* Batman is the ex-husband of Wonder Woman and despises Superman for taking her away. Green Lanterns are all less-powerful villains with one or two rouge heroes. A few characters from the Marvel Universe join the team while other DC characters are lost as a result of a hole tearing between the universes. Powers that aren't so specifically important for a character get switched around (ie: Aquaman can't lose his powers of underwater breathing and talking to animals in favor of being able to generate heat and cause earthquakes, but he could be given the power of telepathy with all beings).

If you're gonna shake it up, there's no reason to do it only half-assed.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
So, as far as I'm concerned, Superman and Wonder Woman are a couple, have two children: Superboy and Captain Marvel *snicker*

No, their child is A-ko  :P (see trivia section at IMDb).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
Well, how many 100s of times can Superman save Louis

I love this freudian misspelling every time I see it somewhere. Now THAT would be a game changer. Clark and Louis vs. the World.  :tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

lovemunkey187

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

Rogmeister

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
I recently read an online story that stated, due to a court order, certain elements of the Superman universe would revert to the Jerry Siegel estate after next year and DC Comics (and WB) wouldn't be able to use them anymore because they were thought up by Siegel, who co-created Superman.  This apparently includes his being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound (which he never uses anymore anyway...he can just fly) and his iconic costume.  I wonder if this also means Lois Lane couldn't be used since Siegel created her?  Maybe that's why they want Wonder Woman to be his new girlfriend?  Regarding the costume, maybe they'll have him wearing the uniform he wore for awhile some years ago when he had electrical powers?  Of course, I have no idea what the Siegel estate can actually do with their properties...I don't see them starting their own comic book company and thus give us two different lines of Superman.  Perhaps they can make some money by simply licensing those properties back to DC?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:01:23 PM by Rogmeister »

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »
I love this freudian misspelling every time I see it somewhere. Now THAT would be a game changer. Clark and Louis vs. the World.  :tease:
:hysterical:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.