Author Topic: Why oh why!  (Read 2860 times)

RossRoy

Why oh why!
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
Why is it that anytime you need to use a tool, that's always when it decides to have problems ... Case in point, I need to access our website management because I need to create a few new email accounts.

Now, I'm a user of Lastpass. Great little tool that allows you to have a master password to access all your other passwords. I recently decided to go through pretty much all services I use, and change the passwords to strong ones using Lastpass to record them.

But of course, now that I now have to actually go there and access the management area what happens? Lastpass gets hacked and forces everybody to change their master password in order to access their passwords. And, of course, I don't have a recent enough export of my passwords, so it doesn't contain the one I need.

And trying to access the lastpass website? Forget it! It's being swamped by password change request (that's a guess on my part) so I just can't access it.

So I ask you 2 things, has it ever happened to you, to you use a service, only for it to be down just as you need it the most? And does anybody here knows a way around the online part of lastpass that would allow me access to the local copy of my passwords database?

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Why oh why!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »
So I ask you 2 things, has it ever happened to you, to you use a service, only for it to be down just as you need it the most?

That's the story of my life Seb.

As for your 2nd question, sorry but I can't help, I had never heard of Lastpass until now.

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »
As for your 2nd question, sorry but I can't help, I had never heard of Lastpass until now.

I heard about them just recently too. Basically when they bought the almost closed Xmarks (bookmark sync software) and thought I'd try them out. Of course, just as I start to really trust them and actually go through the trouble of changing my passwords, this happens.

Argh!

At least, I've found out how to get to my passwords: just unplug the network. It then complains about not being able to reach the online vault and enters "offline" mode. At least, this allowed me access to the passwords for the time being.

hal9g

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
Guess I'm just old fashioned.  I keep all of my passwords in an excel spreadsheet that's password protected and backed up 3 ways to Sunday.

No matter how "safe" online storage claims to be, I  simply won't use it for anything like this!

Glad you were able to find a way around it, Sebastian.   :thumbup:

kahless

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »
I'm old fashioned as well - I only keep my passwords in my brain.  :laugh:

And yes, it has happened that a pass disappeared from there...  :-[

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:22:42 PM »
I have the important one (online bank account, Paypal and other like that) written on a paper sheet near my computer and the forum info are in my email account in case I would forget them (but I let the info in the Firefox cookie, since this isn't vital or dangerous info at all).

hal9g

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »

That would never work in my case!!!!   :-[

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »

That would never work in my case!!!!   :-[
This will work under all circumstances. The only problem might be to get it out of the storage system when you need it. :laugh:

hal9g

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:53:42 AM »
The only problem might be to get it out of the storage system when you need it. :laugh:

Exactly!   :-[

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
This will work under all circumstances. The only problem might be to get it out of the storage system when you need it. :laugh:
Seems safe. :devil:

I wold also never use anything online for this, so also sorry, can't help either. I use 1password myself, which is a program on my computer as well as on my iPhone and iPad. I still hold on to the old fashioned Excel spreadsheet as well.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
Guess I'm just old fashioned.  I keep all of my passwords in an excel spreadsheet that's password protected and backed up 3 ways to Sunday.

That's a great system.  Though I've heard Office password protection is a joke.  Something you may want to keep in mind.  Still, it's better than what my wife used to do.  She had passwords, credit card numbers, bank account information, etc. all saved in a Word document.  Her protection scheme?  She named it "Carpet Cleaners.doc", because no one would ever think to look in there! :slaphead:

I'm with Achim.  Except I use eWallet.  Kept on my iPhone with 256-bit AES encryption and regularly synced with their program on my PC which is regularly backed up.  I store everything in there from web site passwords, to credit card information, to vehicle information, to the family's SSNs, to my eyeglasses prescription, to my car insurance information.  Pretty much any vital piece of information I may need.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 03:52:28 AM »
Here is the links :slaphead::

eWallet

1Password
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:54:13 AM by Achim »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:01:02 AM »
I just remember my passwords...most of the time.   :laugh:
I have started to write a few down..though I have them in a sort of code.  So far I remember what I meant when I wrote it.   :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
Just read a very interesting article about passwords in regards to complexity vs usability, and how IT guys strive towards complexity, when they really should fix things to improve usability instead. It makes some great points about passwords.

http://www.baekdal.com/tips/password-security-usability

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »
That was great, Sebasien!

I usually go for a one-word solution, usually mixing in numbers and a special character. It appears though length is not really an issue, if complexity is provided, six "digits" are apparently enough...?

I like the approach using short sentences, but I seem to remember programs/sites often dislike a space in the password :headscratch: