Author Topic: Ashes to Ashes (Life on Mars sequel)  (Read 3103 times)

Najemikon

Ashes to Ashes (Life on Mars sequel)
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
Life on Mars was the best show on the box, and if tonights first episode of the sequel is anything to go by, it's continuing the tradition.  :yahoo:

I feel sorry for people who don't live in range of BBC1. It's bloomin' great! If you don't know what I'm talking about, get the box sets. There was only two series of Life on Mars and it was fantastic.

Najemikon

Re: Ashes to Ashes (Life on Mars sequel)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:35 PM »
This week one of the best TV phenomenons of the last few years came to end, finally answering fans questions about exactly what was going on.

No, I'm not talking about crappy Lost! I watched the last episode of Lost actually and I can't believe how full of itself, smug, pretentious it was. And all the while the big reveal could have been done at the end of the first season because everything that seems to have happened since then was just bollocks that the writers haven't bothered to tie off. I only watched the occasional episode and I would be so pissed off if I had committed myself to watching it regularly.

This is not the situation with the Life On Mars saga, which has also come to an end this last week. At the end of the original two series following Sam Tyler, trapped in the 70s, the end was ambiguous. Now there are two ways to see what the writers were thinking; "ambiguous" = "we want to treat the viewer with intelligence and respect", or "ambiguous" = "we haven't got a bloody clue what we're doing and we're making this shit up as we go!".

I was happy to live in ignorance and assume the former! :-[ After all, all five series together is barely half the running time of six years of Lost. After LoM came Ashes To Ashes. The first series, contrary to my opening post on this topic, turned out to be rather weak compared to LoM. Using a woman, setting it in the 80s and writing Sam off with a cursory "oh he died" line seemed so obvious a twist that the core idea had a lot to hold up. But Alex Drake was a character who knew what Sam Tyler had claimed on his brief return to his own time and so she spent the whole series telling people she knew they weren't real and were just constructs. It made for an unlikeable character, even when she ends up thinking like Sam: is it a dream, is it real? Still, it was fun while adding little to the mythology.

The second series found Alex still trapped in the 80s, but far more settled and it was a worthy successor to the illustrious predecessor. It also had a very intriguing plot with Alex being manipulated. At the end, she returns to her own time with a bang... but the story wasn't over.

Series 3 has been nothing short of phenomenal. Alex had been drawn back to Gene Hunt's time and now there was a new thread. Jim Keats, a very smooth and charming detective, via investigating the whole departments horribly outdated methods, has been tasked with proving Gene Hunt has been involved in murder. Alex is haunted by dreams of a young, murdered copper. The two are definitely linked so Jim and a reluctant, torn Alex, investigate the evidence. Alex at least hopes to prove Gene's innocence. Despite his gruff exterior, she knows he and Sam were close, but there is also the possibility that Gene killed Sam. Over the course of the series, each of the supporting characters (Chris, Ray and Shaz) are given key stories that go the centre of their psyches.

And so we come to the finale. On first viewing, I'd say this is one of the best TV endings ever. The secret has been revealed and while all the clues were there and I had worked out part of the possibility way back in LoM, I was not prepared for how brilliantly everyone is tied together and had their part to play.

I'm sure that this was the basic idea right from Life On Mars and while there have been occasional tweaks along the way, they are fair uses of artistic licence for the sake of intrigue and entertainment, that at no point undermine that central conceit. In fact, a repeat viewing of all five series might reveal more about those tweaks than I had previously noticed. It's such a brilliant setup that allows you to watch what is essentially a cop show without ever having to wonder too much about the overall idea! It tricks you into taking things for granted.

It was an exhilarating hour of TV that even if you were Mr. or Mrs. Perfect and knew exactly what was going on months ago, it was still special. Perfect performances, especially Philip Glenister as Gene Hunt (so much more than a one-joke character!), brilliant writing throughout and a playful visual style make this a gem that British TV can be proud of for years to come. :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
Hmm, Jon I found

(click to show/hide)

hal9g

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
Doesn't look like this is on DVD yet (or scheduled for release).

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 06:04:22 PM »
It will be, Hal. Series 1 and 2 of Life On Mars is available on Blu-Ray and DVD. Series 1 and 2 of Ashes to Ashes is on DVD at least, with series 3 and a boxset of AtA planned.

(click to show/hide)

Emma, what are you smoking and can I have some?  :tease: Read this interview below...

People, do not read this link if you haven't seen the series: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/22/ashes-exclusive/

(click to show/hide)

What on earth was lazy about that?  :shrug:

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
I have the first season of AtA on DVD and will watch it in the mid-summer season, right after I've finished Life on Mars S1+2 (UK)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:12:07 PM »
Have you seen Life On Mars before? Well, in any case, as I've said before, the differences in the first season of AtA can be jarring. Still worth seeing and brilliant in its own way, but definitely didn't hit its stride until series 2.

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Hmm, im not denying that Gene is a great character
(click to show/hide)

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Hmm, im not denying that Gene is a great character
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

By the way anyone reading, we're currently talking very spoilerific stuff about both Lost and Ashes To Ashes. We're not talking about anyone, honest!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:24:47 PM by Jon »

snowcat

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

hal9g

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 04:39:57 AM »
I have the first season of AtA on DVD and will watch it in the mid-summer season...

Must be R2.  Can't find a R1 version.  That's OK.  I'll wait for it to be available on BD.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »
Have you seen Life On Mars before? Well, in any case, as I've said before, the differences in the first season of AtA can be jarring.

I haven't read any of the spoilers in the thread (totally staying away from anything Lost related), but, man, this is spot on.

A friend turned me on to Life on Mars (the UK version) and I enjoyed it immensely. Hunt is one of my favorite characters of all time and he was primarily the reason I enjoyed it so much.

When Ashes to Ashes came, I watched maybe the first season. I just couldn't get into it. It was as if there was no synergy.

I very well have to give it a second go and suffer through the first season again. Of course this means I have to watch Life on Mars all over again to prepare, but I certainly have no problem with that.  :laugh:

Oh, and the US remake of Life on Mars can suck it. What an abortion that was compared to the original.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Definitely worth a second chance. Series 2 had something more special.