Author Topic: A Nice Surprise and a question  (Read 1533 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
A Nice Surprise and a question
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
I been needing a new DVD Rom for a while now... this one hasn't been reading all my discs... and I really have to fight to get the door to open. I actually keep a small nail beside my computer so I can use it to open the door when needed.

Well I recently found out that my brother ordered me a new DVD Rom... and is going to put it in for me. Very cool of him! And I found out that the one he ordered me will be able to write DVDs as well! Cool... an upgrade!

I have a couple questions on this. As I mentioned my cable box has a hard drive where the DVR records stuff I watch. Can anyone here tell me... or point me to a site that explains if it is possible to hook up the cable box to my computer and see the hard drive in the cable box and possibly make some of my own DVDs? I of course have no idea what kind of format the cable box saves the movies and TV Show in... or anything like that. I know there are ways to download shows from the net if I really want to...  but why bother if I already have them recorded on my DVR?

I was also wondering about software for converting videos to the correct format for DVDs... and burning programs... preferably free as I really don't have the extra money for software right now. Any help on the subject would be appreciated... as I am a complete newbie to doing such a thing. I never recorded a DVD before.

I will also have to look into some decent blank discs of course. Is there a certain brand better then others?
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: A Nice Surprise and a question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
I don't know if you can hook your DVD into your computer, so there I have to pass.

If you have XP or higher (Vista / 7) as OS then you can burn a basic DVD format. Not Video DVD, but a regular DVD with files on it. It's a built-in function of the OS.

Most reasonable modern DVD players can play files that are in the DivX format (*.avi) which is the file type you get on the net.

As for a video to DVD Video format converters, you either have to buy one or get one from the less respectable corners of the internet. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »
Thanks Karsten :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:13:35 AM »
I can see how this will end. Now the DVR stuff gets watched when the drive gets full. In the future stuff will get moved to DVD and collect dust thre :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:21:46 AM »
 :laugh: That is if I can actually accomplish putting it from DVR to DVD. So far from what I read on the subject it is either impossible... or difficult at best.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:42:10 AM »
DVD Flick is free Pete  ;D

I haven't use it since I have Convert X to DVD already on my computer (this one isn't free) but I don't see why it won't do the job.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »
Thanks Jimmy! :)
Pete

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
I can see how this will end. Now the DVR stuff gets watched when the drive gets full. In the future stuff will get moved to DVD and collect dust thre :devil:

In the future they will just beam movies directly into our brains and take out brain cells as payment :suicide:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »
I got my new DVD writer yesterday... it got put in last night... and I just burned my first DVD (menus and all) today. I definitely need to practice with this program my brother gave me as it didn't come out 100% perfect (didn't use the background image I had for the main menu)... but it worked.

If curious... first movie I burned was a TV Movie (not available on DVD)... The Good Witch's Garden starring Catherine Bell.
Pete