Author Topic: Help!  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:40:24 AM »
I use firefox and recently downloaded the newest version. The problem is that I don't like it. How do I get back to the version I was using a couple of weeks ago?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:49:10 AM »
I would say download the previous version and installing it so it will replace the one you have. But wait to have the opinion of someone with better knowledge than me...

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:15:49 AM »
What don't you like about the newer Firefox?

The main change I can think of that you wouldn't like is the tab bar at the top (which can easily be change) and that big orage FIREFOX button .. other than that, it's pretty much the same thing.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using an older version just because you don't like the "look" of the new one, because you could be missing out on important security updates.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:18:54 AM »
Maybe this could help you
http://www.askvg.com/all-about-mozilla-firefox-4-0-get-good-old-things-back-customize-new-things-and-reveal-hidden-secret-stuff/

It seems to show how to reactivate old stuff, and deactivate some newer stuff.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:32:13 AM »
What don't you like about the newer Firefox?

The main change I can think of that you wouldn't like is the tab bar at the top (which can easily be change) and that big orage FIREFOX button .. other than that, it's pretty much the same thing.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using an older version just because you don't like the "look" of the new one, because you could be missing out on important security updates.

On the old version when I opened it up I had a bunch of tabs on the top of the page - my gmail button for example.
Now, I have nothing on the top except an "about home" where you type in a web site address.

I also have a Restore Previous Session button in the middle which I don't want.

I might just change to Opera or IE since I don't like this one.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »
RossRoy explained very well why you shouldn't go back for the long term.

Here's another link that might help you get back to the 'old look'.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:30 AM »
I haven't used FF4 yet, but there is nothing wrong with going back to an old version by downloading and installing it again.

As for the tabs at the top that are missing, I will assume you are talking about the Bookmarks toolbar:

If so, and assuming FF4 hasn't completely changed the nature of things since FF3, first try right-clicking in the area next to the menu items (File, Edit, etc) to bring up some options and select "Bookmarks Toolbar" if there is no checkmark beside it.

If this doesn't work, press CTRL+SHIFT+B to bring up the bookmarks window, and if there is a "Bookmarks Toolbar" item there, click (or double-click) to go inside of it. Are there any items inside of it? If not, then they need ot be added back and that should put them back in the area below the area where you type in web addresses.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

hal9g

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:15:28 AM »
My biggest issue with FF4 is that the Norton toolbar doesn't work with it!   :thumbdown:

I'll stay on 3.6.16 for a while.

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:08 AM »
On the old version when I opened it up I had a bunch of tabs on the top of the page - my gmail button for example.

You can change that. Click the orange Firefox button, then Options, then you can change the homepage setting. Right now, it seems to be at the default "about:home", but you can put anything in there. Even separate multiple page with the character |

Now, I have nothing on the top except an "about home" where you type in a web site address.

Seems your bookmark bar got hidden. If you right-click on the little yellow star (might shadowed white too) then click BOOKMARK TOOLBAR it should bring it back. (I think Blair had already told you that)

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »
My biggest issue with FF4 is that the Norton toolbar doesn't work with it!   :thumbdown:

Have you looked on Norton's site? They might have an updated version of the toolbar, which may still be in beta at the moment.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:02 AM »
I was having a little trouble getting use to the new Firefox...I got some stuff moved back around and I like it more now.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »
 :yahoo:

Thank you! I not only fixed things the way it was, I even added new bookmarks!

kahless

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:38:20 AM »

I'll stay on 3.6.16 for a while.

That's my concern using FF4 as well. But I heard rumors from the Norton community that the toolbar is supposed to be updatet in may.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:51:32 AM by kahless »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »

:thumbsup:

Did you install right over the old one? It is a bit concerning to me that your existing settings were not carried over. There better be a good excuse from Firefox for not doing so...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »

:thumbsup:

Did you install right over the old one? It is a bit concerning to me that your existing settings were not carried over. There better be a good excuse from Firefox for not doing so...

The settings are carried over. The layout of the new FF4 is just different (e.g. no menu bar, no bookmarks bar) but you can reactivate them. I even put the page refresh button back to where it belongs.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools