Author Topic: Going Bollywood  (Read 4518 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Going Bollywood
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:33 AM »
I got an e-mail today from Amazon saying my Bollywood films have been shipped.  And a few minutes ago, I decided to do a search and see if Roger Ebert had ever written anything about Bollywood.  I found a review by him for Bride & Prejudice...and it turns out Tom has reviewed this, too.  It's actually in English!  And according to Tom, it (or at least part of it) is sort of like a parody of Bollywood.  So now I might have to get that one, too.  Roger wrote about the actress in this and he said she was also in a movie called What's Cooking?  Tom has reviewed a movie by that title but I have my doubts it's the same movie because the one Tom reviewed appears to have an all-American cast.  Maybe Tom can let me know about this?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
"What's Cooking?" which I have reviewed has the same director as "Bride & Prejudice". But none of the actors are the same.
The star of "Bride & Prejudice" (Aishwarya Rai) is also a big Bollywood star. The movie is by an Indian director living in the UK and she cleary loves Bollywood as you can see many elements of it in her movies. She also did "Bend It Like Beckham".

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
The movie is by an Indian director living in the UK and she cleary loves Bollywood as you can see many elements of it in her movies. She also did "Bend It Like Beckham".

Picking up on what Tom said, Roger, don't be surprised by any such links between the UK and India. We have such a strong Indian community and heritage here that the UK is pretty much Bollywood's second home! For instance, a film like Slumdog Millionaire isn't Bollywood, but it capitalises on the shared roots.

Rogmeister

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
Ironically, Bride & Prejudice actually aired on a cable station I get here in the U.S...called Ovation.  It only had a half-hour to go when I learned it was on but chances are it will air again...multiple times.