Author Topic: WRUP - What are you playing?  (Read 51661 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: WRUP - What are you playing?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
I have my "work" cut out if I want to be done by the time I get Dragon Age II  :laugh:
Get going then  :laugh: :training:

I like achievements/trophies when they require me to try something new in a game or give me some direction what to do next. I would never collect all collectables in a game if there is no trophy for it. :shrug: However, I am not buying games just to get a few cheap trophies quick (have done that once or twice in the past though :bag:).

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
I like achievements/trophies when they require me to try something new in a game or give me some direction what to do next. I would never collect all collectables in a game if there is no trophy for it. :shrug: However, I am not buying games just to get a few cheap trophies quick (have done that once or twice in the past though :bag:).

I've said before, but I actually don't care at all about achievements/trophies, especially when they require finishing the game at a certain difficulty or hunting every little bits here and there.

I like Dragon Age's achievements because most are story related, or will be acquired through normal play (except the few that require to "complete the game on hard or nightmare difficulty").

Oh and I guess you can deduce it on your own but, I've never based a game purchase on the easiness of its achievements, or even their availability. I don't even look at them until I get the first popup saying "achievement unlocked" - at which point I think "cool! now can I get on with the game? please? and stop bothering me!" then turn off notifications.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:11:57 AM by RossRoy »

snowcat

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
Im playing Ratchet and Clan: A Crack in Time.

I really enjoyed the first Ratchet and Clank game on the PS2 and well.. this one is a bit easier but its still fun. Im really enjoying it!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 06:04:16 AM »
Im playing Ratchet and Clan: A Crack in Time.

I really enjoyed the first Ratchet and Clank game on the PS2 and well.. this one is a bit easier but its still fun. Im really enjoying it!
I played this last year. Lots of fun was had. They really enjoy creating wacko weapons, don't they. Insomniac is one of my favorite game studios.

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
definitely! there is just something so satisfying with hitting swarms of enemies with the Ryno V whilst it plays its triumphant music, or even the razor blade gun! I loved Insomniac for creating the original Spyro the Dragon game... but that series quickly went downhill... the second game just didn't capture the first at all. but Ratchet and Clank seems to have continued, Ive just ordered Tools of Destruction so ill be playing that soon to!

As for trophies/achievements, personally I don't go out of my way to get them unless they are something like "collect all" I like collecting things in games, difficulty wise I like a challenge so generally play games on hard when I think I can beat them, and if a game warrants a replay then ill go for the replay trophies... Ratchet and Clank for example has a "challenge mode" which is basically replaying the game with all the weapons that you bought... that was alot of fun!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »
Oh yeah, the Rhyno V sure is awesome. I have previously played Tools of Destruction (sold the game since) and it was a lot of fun too. I haven't been a gamer all that long, so I don't really know the older games you mention (although I heard the name Spyro before).

I am now trying to play through the Hard Core mode. Visceral Games are trying something new here. Instead of just making the game tougher to play, like it usually with the higher difficulties, they actually made it easier than the hardest of the other difficulties. The twist is, that during the 15 chapters you only get to save 3 times (3.5 on the xbox 360)! I have already tried several times but still haven't made my first save :bag: I am trying to ge to chapter 6 (was shooting for 7, but almost changed my mind) and have goofed up several times. But, I am getting better and know now what weapons I want to use. (I have a 4-day weekend now and am determine to succeed...)
I am still working on this. Given that, if you die you loose up to3-4 hours of gameplay, I haven't quite finished yet. However, I have now used up all my saves and am in the middle of chapter 13 (luckily 14 and 15 are considerably shorter than most others), so tonight I'll try to get to the end. In order to collect all trophies I'll have to play one more run through on "Zealot" difficulty. With the "prize" you get for beating Hard Core that should be a breeze though.
(click to show/hide)

snowcat

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
Good Luck Achim!

I own Dead Space 1, I havent really played it much yet but Im looking forward to it when I get around to it!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
Good Luck Achim!
That helped :D

Completed on first try (that last section, I mean). Well, that last two chapters of the game are pretty much a run-and-gun section, assuming you have the right set of weapons on hand (and load of health packs too). I immediately saved and created a New Game+ starting all over with the prize mentioned above. Wow that thing is powerful...couldn't stop laughing while using it.

I own Dead Space 1, I havent really played it much yet but Im looking forward to it when I get around to it!
Dead Space 1 is a tighter game. It has the creepier atmosphere (always diffcult for a sequel, since we know the tropes), is confined to a smaller overall area. I would compare that Dead Space 2 is to Dead Space what Aliens was to Alien (although I had people disagree with me when I said this elsewhere :shrug:).

snowcat

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
I will have to play Dead Space soon and let you know.

GRR!!! RATCHET AND CLANK!!

I know I said I don't go out of my way for trophies but I have one trophy left to get in this game! (besides platinum)

I hate my Blaster Runs Hot! I keep scoring 8000 points and I need 10000!

:/ ill have to keep trying!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 04:05:04 AM »
Have you enjoyed the game overall? I've been a fan of Ratchet and Clank for years; I think this one is the best in the series, so epic!

You'll eventually get the 10,000 points; you just need to keep at it. It took me a couple of days.

How do you like the Ryno V?  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 05:25:49 AM »
GRR!!! RATCHET AND CLANK!!

I know I said I don't go out of my way for trophies but I have one trophy left to get in this game! (besides platinum)

I hate my Blaster Runs Hot! I keep scoring 8000 points and I need 10000!

:/ ill have to keep trying!
That's a nasty one indeed. After finishing the main game I only wanted to start the challenge run after getting this, because without this there would be no Platinum and I had a hard time as well. I think around 8000 was also the best I could do.

BUT, here is the good news, which I hope can help you: Did you know you can play that in co-op...? It doesn't even have to be a good player! But in co-op you can revive each other ;) I had asked my partner (non-gamer) for help. After only a few tries I got it! We revived each other for a while and once we hit 8000 I concentrated on killing even more. I forgot whether we made it to the final boss (yes, there apparently is one) or not.

Rogmeister

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
Today I received a game in the mail, Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? for the Nintendo DS.  This is actually the first game in the series for this system.  I played a game...but my score was credited to someone named Alexis!  Then I remembered I bought this used...so I cleared the scores (including one listed as SuckItJustin!) and then entered in a new user as myself. 

Also in the mail today I got a new system, a Nintendo DSi XL which is a larger-than-usual unit.

snowcat

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
Have you enjoyed the game overall? I've been a fan of Ratchet and Clank for years; I think this one is the best in the series, so epic!

You'll eventually get the 10,000 points; you just need to keep at it. It took me a couple of days.

How do you like the Ryno V?  ;D

I LOVE IT!

I love the music it plays!

Thats a good idea Achim! I will get my brother to play!

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
Ah great ... we're moving away from "photo realistic graphics v1"* into "photo realistic graphics v2"*

v1 = life is all tones of greay, brown and black
v2 = lens flare galore!

Behold, CryEngine3:

Too bad, v2 hides all the pretty graphics behind lens flare.
At least, it's better than hiding them in darkness, like in v1.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
I still haven't played Bioshock in a while.  I have played World of Warcraft again though..and I finally got my main character to level 85..the new level cap after the last expansion.