Author Topic: Star Wars goes Blu  (Read 8900 times)

RossRoy

Re: Star Wars goes Blu
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »
Possible audio substitutions:
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bluray-controversy-george-lucas/

Not a fan of the films myself but have a lot of respect for what they've achieved...

here's "proof" and the "result" of Lucas' further meddling ;)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bcbb7bb253/george-lucas-adds-more-darth-vader-dialogue

lyonsden5

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
From what I can see this is the only complete set available. Does anyone know of another set? Maybe in a collectible Death Star or something? (that would be awesome!) Or is that next year...  :-\

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »
The collectible Death Star will not be out until:

1: All other (even future) media types have their own version of Star Wars
2: All other releases are completely sold out (Even Lucas' special reserve of about 1 Billion copies for the secondary market)
3: The Death Star is no longer visible in any of the parts of the franchise.

RossRoy

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 04:30:04 AM »
That's a reply to a What Ya Got post, but I thought it'd fit better here ..

Is anyone else experiencing severe distortions in Episode IV?

Not that I noticed. Give me a time code of a particular section and I'll compare it if you like.

I got digital compression artefacts, kinda like when the data stream can't keep up with the data to be decoded during the scene when Luke first sees Leia's message to Obi-Wan. I rewinded a bit to see if it was a freak incident, and it redid the same thing at the same moment. So I paused the movie and started looking on the web if anyone had the same issue .. couldn't find anything so I thought I try it again, just to be sure before claiming it as a defective disc ... lo and behold! it's fine now ..  :shrug:

That said - it looks amazing! I like all the little details, like C3PO and Artoo being so battered with nicks, scratches, dirt, bumps, etc. The Jawas look dirty as hell. I do feel like they overdid the color correction at times.. sure R2 really pops out with his bright blue on sandy color .. but Luke and Uncle Owen shouldn't have such a big reddish tint to their face..

Najemikon

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »
I've notice that digital artefact problem a few times on Blu-Ray. Not Star Wars in particular. I think it persists more than DVD because the players use a bigger buffer. Essentially your player remembered the problem and didn't go back to the disc for a while, so it kind of makes sense you saw it again.

I saw Empire the other night and overall I think it's image is more impressive than New Hope. But here's a tip for a quick laugh on any of the films; listen to the Descriptive Audio track. It's like an audio book, the guys voice is so enthusiastic though!

RossRoy

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
I've notice that digital artefact problem a few times on Blu-Ray. Not Star Wars in particular. I think it persists more than DVD because the players use a bigger buffer. Essentially your player remembered the problem and didn't go back to the disc for a while, so it kind of makes sense you saw it again.

That makes sense actually. I did notice that after rewinding, the blu-ray wasn't actually reading the disc, yet the audio was fine while the image was garbled. It's just that it's the first time it's happened to me! ;)

I saw Empire the other night and overall I think it's image is more impressive than New Hope. But here's a tip for a quick laugh on any of the films; listen to the Descriptive Audio track. It's like an audio book, the guys voice is so enthusiastic though!

I hate those descriptive audio track. Call me whatever you want but .. what's the point of watching a movie if you're blind? Listen to music or whatever other activity that's compatible with your handicap.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
I hate those descriptive audio track. Call me whatever you want but .. what's the point of watching a movie if you're blind? Listen to music or whatever other activity that's compatible with your handicap.
Same thing than reading a book for a blind... If you can why not? Anyway listening an horror movie without watching it must be a scary experience...

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »
That's a reply to a What Ya Got post, but I thought it'd fit better here ..

Is anyone else experiencing severe distortions in Episode IV?

Not that I noticed. Give me a time code of a particular section and I'll compare it if you like.

I got digital compression artefacts, kinda like when the data stream can't keep up with the data to be decoded

Exactly what I have too.
Not reproducible though so probably more a problem of my hardware than of the Blu.

Najemikon

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 12:20:33 AM »
I've noticed it a lot less on my PS3 than I did on my stand alone. That could occasionally pause, albeit very very briefly. The PS3 just has a slight visual fart from time to time.

I must find time to watch Inception. That was the straw that broke my Samsung's back. It played it but would miss chunks here and there and if I tried to use rewind or fast forward, it would really screw it up. Odd, that Avatar, which must be one of the most intensive releases, played without an issue.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
I checked the price of the set with all 6 movie the other day when I was out with my mom.  She was asking me why I wanted it if I already had it...   :laugh:  I think she forgot that I have it on VHS too... 

RossRoy

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
A coworker asked me why I bought the Blu-ray if I already have the DVD and VHS .. I just replied "don't go there man" ..  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:52:34 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
My set is in the mail. I had pre-ordered it 6 months ago, but needed to cancel and re-order now. I had canceled my credit card in spring due to the data theft from Sony :slaphead:

I hope to be able to watch them soon.

I had them on laserdisc and then on DVD :bag:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I still haven't gotten it...but every time I've been in Walmart in the last week, clips have been playing.  And one of them was playing when I was in Sam's Club today.  That is making me want them more..  :lol

Does anyone know...does the complete saga set have extras that aren't with the other sets?  Around here, it is cheaper to buy the two sets than the saga set...least at a few places.  But I'll still probably get the saga set once I get it.

and I still have to get the Extended LOTR on Blu-ray too.  I need to win the lottery...  :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
Does anyone know...does the complete saga set have extras that aren't with the other sets?
:headscratch:

AFAIK the three discs chic full of extras are only available with the six films(?). That is the main reason I went for the complete set rather than the original trilogy only...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »
That's what I was thinking...So I'll just keep watching the price..eventually I'll get it.