Author Topic: Star Wars goes Blu  (Read 8899 times)

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Star Wars goes Blu
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 10:22:21 PM »
That was Qui Gon..the one played by Liam Neeson.  Obi Won  was stuck behind some force field thing.  Then Obi Won promised that he'd train Anakin.

I think he does mean the little bit after Qui-Gon gets impaled and Obi-Wan finally realizes his potential ;)

That's right, thank you. It's only for about 30 seconds but it's so awesome!

Then everyone takes turns in beating the shit out of Jar Jar Binks. I whish!  :devil:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:43:05 PM by Dr. Hasslein »

northbloke

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 01:46:39 AM »
I may just be a boring old fart, but I'm not going to upgrade my Star Wars films unless the original theatrical versions are included - and properly this time, none of that non-anamorphic crap Mr Lucas!

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 02:22:27 AM »
I agree with you regarding the original theatrical versions, but when it comes to George Lucas these days all I can say is shit in one hand and whish in the other and see which one fills up first.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:24 AM »
From what I can tell Lucas (the scenes Mr. Plunkett chose for that 2 hour review deliciously reveal him as the hack he is) won't release the originals ever again. For him the modified version are the films he wanted :shrug:

If you haven't done so, you guys should really watch the review that Antares posted on page 1. You'll see just how truly awfully made those films are story wise. Sure, technically they look quite good and the action scenes are not shabby at all, but it all wraps around a turd of a film. After watching that review I am not even sure anymore if EP III really is the best of the sequels (which isn't saying much to begin with).

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
To be honest, I know those reviews are good but I find two hours too much to commit. And surely kicking any film that long is distasteful? We already know the prequels are terrible, but that's why it's better to just move on. Lucas was found wanting and doesn't deserve this much attention.

That said I will still defend the man to the last for the achievements of the original trilogy. Even in their revised form, their importance cavity be diminished. Hang on. Deja vu...

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,342.0.html

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »
To be honest, I know those reviews are good but I find two hours too much to commit. And surely kicking any film that long is distasteful?
I like the style of humor very much (with few exceptions, where he oes totally overboard), so for me investing 2 hours was no problem at all.

He made these reviews for all three prequels and the all pretty much ot torn to shreds; deservedly so. However, one must be clear that many of the points he analyzes would also get the originals in trouble, or many other films of similar genre in general! I repeat some of the funniest stuff is actually not the analytical bits, but where we get soundbites from the featurettes. The producer and Lucas do the best job of revealing just how clueless they are. Filling a screen with the digital fireworks of a space battle is easy, connecting the battles with a good well-told story is where it's at.

Star Wars is a great film, but Lucas himself pointed out that he gave the sequels to other directors, a he was concerned he himself would get carried away. Would he have done the same with the prequels, we might have a very different beast before us! Is a dead horse being beaten? Sure, but I had fun while it lasted.

lyonsden5

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
I enjoy all 6 movies and am excited at the chance to have then in Blu. The prequel trilogy wasn't as good as th original but I certainly enjoyed all of them, Even the Jar-jar one! The pod racing scene is a fantastic experience of sight and sound in 480p dolby digital, I can't wait to watch it in 1080P with HD sound!

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
I enjoy all 6 movies and am excited at the chance to have then in Blu. The prequel trilogy wasn't as good as th original but I certainly enjoyed all of them, Even the Jar-jar one! The pod racing scene is a fantastic experience of sight and sound in 480p dolby digital, I can't wait to watch it in 1080P with HD sound!

My sentiment exactly! September can't come quick enough!  :clap:

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
It started on February 10th, 2012 ....

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74918

:thumbdown:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:18 PM »
I have the original releases on VHS, eventually planning to burn to DVD and that's all I need.

If Han didn't shoot first, mirrors and Vaseline on the lens weren't used to give the illusion of the hover cars speeding two feet above the ground, and chases within buildings aren't done inside of closed walls rather than a massive digital city seen out of the window, then I'm not interested.

In my opinion, going Blu is just the opens the doors for another 20 altered versions to be released each a few years apart.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:13:33 PM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:51 AM »
The unnecessary move to 3D aside, I find it sad that Lucas robs new generations discovering this from some of the great reveals by changing the order from 1-6 instead of the correct 4-6, 1-3.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »
My main complaint about his refusal to release quality cuts of the originals with all flaws in tact and his particularly behaving as if they never existed while he continues to "improve upon the movies" (What have there been now... 4 revisions? 5?) is that the films were such an amazing feat for the times. New Hope was a vision of the future that looked and felt very futuristic instead of a 70s attempt that still felt like the 70s. I fully believe that if New Hope in its current form had been released in 1999 (the year Phantom Menace came out), it wouldn't have made nearly as big of an impact resulting in not nearly the generation-stretching fan base.

How many much-more-recently started film franchises are there that even come close to matching the Star Wars fan base? Lord of the Rings? (Star Trek doesn't count; it began as the tv series in the mid-60s. I could debate Harry Potter as well because it began through books, not tv or film.) Lucas should be grateful for the original films rather than pushing them aside, particularly with so many fans still begging for their release.

On a different note, I remember a tv review a few years back talking about the creation of 1-3 destroying what made Star Wars a great story. Particularly mentioned was all of the effort that went into concealing (to prevent leaks to the press) "I am your father." It was such a shocking an impacting event that it remains a classic line today. But throw in 1-3 and you get: "Luke, I am your father."  Fans: *yawn, we already know!*
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 12:52:46 AM »
I still watch them in the order they were released when I do watch them.  4-6 and then 1-3.
I enjoyed the prequels overall..though they have issues.  And Anakin annoyed the hell out of me.  He was just too whiney.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 07:05:44 AM »
Apparently there was a preview event for this set and Bill Hunt has an extensive report.

From what I can see I am glad I ordered the complete set.

No original versions for the older films. And yes, apparently new stuff was added, which was not presented during the preview event.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:51 AM »
Possible audio substitutions:
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bluray-controversy-george-lucas/

Not a fan of the films myself but have a lot of respect for what they've achieved...