Author Topic: Advertising on web-sites, cookies and stuff  (Read 2168 times)

Najemikon

Advertising on web-sites, cookies and stuff
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
Just came across an interesting article in the latest PC Pro magazine about the way advertising can track you across the web using cookies.

I've seen it happen and it annoys me, which is why I use the NoScript plug-in in Firefox. That speeds up browsing by disabling banners and script based stuff, but it can't stop you getting the cookies or otherwise legitimate sites using the info. The guy who wrote the article, Barry Collins, cited two examples: after shopping on various travel sites for a holiday, all the banners he saw on unrelated sites were suddenly holiday related; and even Amazon, was able to recommend products to him based on choices he had made on other shopping sites!

He offers two links which identify the cookies already on your PC and then, if you wish, contacts each originating server to load an Opt-Out cookie. You'll still see advertising, but you're making a decision not to be tracked around the web. Well, maybe you like that idea... like a little friend peeking over your shoulder. Well my little friend can bollocks. I've gone through both of these and almost every damn server had a cookie on my PC:  :redcard:

http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
http://www.youronlinechoices.com/opt-out

hal9g

Re: Advertising on web-sites, cookies and stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, Jon.  Almost all of them had a cookie on my PC as well.  Opted out of all.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
Thanks from me too! Apparently I only had few of the cookies from the first link. The second link reported they couldn't connect to the opt-out server. I opted out everything I could. Makes me wonder whether that tracking is legal in the first place :hmmmm:

kahless

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
This site, http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp is placing cookies itself and tries to execute different scripts, like tribalfusion.com, tacoda.net, etc.  :hmmmm:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
I had a bunch of them too.  Stupid things.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »
I think that's right, Kahless. As I understand it, it's replacing the cookies with ones that tell the providers server that you have opted out. Look at the two sites together as they share some entries and recognise that you may have already opted out.

kahless

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
I think that's right, Kahless. As I understand it, it's replacing the cookies with ones that tell the providers server that you have opted out. Look at the two sites together as they share some entries and recognise that you may have already opted out.

I see. I don't care anyway about cookies, because I use CCleaner on regular basis to remove them (amongst other stuff...)
I think, if you use Firefox with some security addons like WOT, NoScript, Adblock Plus and Brain 1.0, you are safe in the internet!  ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
No you're quite right and I use the same, I just resent being followed and my personal data being I used like this. This is a moral issue not a security one... ;)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
I think, if you use Firefox with some security addons like WOT, NoScript, Adblock Plus and Brain 1.0, you are safe in the internet!  ;D

I use the first three, but what is the last one? I couldn't find it at Mozilla.

Also, I just downloaded an add-on called SmoothWheel. If you use a mouse wheel, it's a definite grab.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:44 AM »
Those tracking cookies can usually be avoided by using the onboard-features of your browser.

Example IE:
Disable:
-Referrer
-Automatic Cookie accepting
-Permanent Cookies

Set:
-Delete Temporary Internet Files at shutdown

And most of all: Avoid Google and all it's products.
I find it mildly amusing that there are people concerned about the privacy of their personal surfing habits, while at the same time using "Chrome" because it builds up pages half a nanosecond faster than the IE. Sadly while installing it you explicitly allowed Google to track all your internet connections (no matter if established by Chrome or any other program) and use this for commercial purposes.

Hail to our Big Brother

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
I'm liking SmoothWheel! I did think, how can it possibly be any real point, but it's weird. And the keys to speed up/down are a nice touch. :thumbup:

Those tracking cookies can usually be avoided by using the onboard-features of your browser.

Example IE:
Disable:
-Referrer
-Automatic Cookie accepting
-Permanent Cookies

Set:
-Delete Temporary Internet Files at shutdown

And most of all: Avoid Google and all it's products.
I find it mildly amusing that there are people concerned about the privacy of their personal surfing habits, while at the same time using "Chrome" because it builds up pages half a nanosecond faster than the IE. Sadly while installing it you explicitly allowed Google to track all your internet connections (no matter if established by Chrome or any other program) and use this for commercial purposes.

Hail to our Big Brother

Again, I do agree. But cookies have their uses and it was annoying me that certain sites kept losing some settings, just because I was more security concious. This method allows some flexibility at least...

kahless

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Google is not the only data collector out there! There is no total security in the internet. Anyway, no reason for paranoia or panic. What we need is a balance between security and usability and last but not least common sense (thats what I call brain 1.0)!  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
Google is not the only data collector out there! There is no total security in the internet. Anyway, no reason for paranoia or panic. What we need is a balance between security and usability and last but not least common sense (thats what I call brain 1.0)!  ;)

Ha! I can't believe Antares was actually looking for a plug-in on Firefox called "Brain 1.0"! How stupid is he!  :tease:

There's no truth to the rumour I was wondering as well...  :whistle: :bag:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »

Ha! I can't believe Antares was actually looking for a plug-in on Firefox called "Brain 1.0"! How stupid is he!  :tease:

And as a true American, I was willing to forsake the scorn of others to find out the answer.  :training:

And as a true Brit, you let the American fight your battle for you.  :tease:   :devil:  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

And as a true American, I was willing to forsake the scorn of others to find out the answer.  :training:

And as a true Brit, you let the American fight your battle for you.  :tease:   :devil:  :laugh:

Well, as a Brit, I was ready to dive in and stop the American from blowing up Kahless, the forum and Mozilla, just in case "Brain 1.0" turned out to be a potential threat to National Security. Funnily enough, Bush clearly felt threatened by a brain and avoided them at all cost too!  :thundergod: