Author Topic: What Did You Get for Christmas?  (Read 17905 times)

MEJHarrison

Re: What Did You Get for Christmas?
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »
I got some movies and other crap.  But my 3 favorite gifts this year were:

3) A Pillow Pet.  My son ( 8 ) got 2 identical Pillow Pets.  Tried to give one to Grandma, but she told him to return it and buy something else with the money.  That clearly hurt his feelings, so I grabbed it and commented how soft and comforting it was. So he decided that I needed to have it. He also gave his duplicate Lego set (also from Grandma and his aunt) to his older brother.  Needless to say he was well rewarded for his generosity!

2) A Barbie doll! I teased my wife that Alice was the only decent thing about the Twilight movies.  So she found me an Alice Barbie doll! :hysterical:

1) My oldest son (13) bought us gifts.  But he wanted to do something special for us.  So he hopped online, found a site on origami and made everyone origami gifts.  I've got some type of cool folding star thing.  My wife got a swan that flaps it's wings.  We were quite impressed. ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »
1) My oldest son (13) bought us gifts.  But he wanted to do something special for us.  So he hopped online, found a site on origami and made everyone origami gifts.  I've got some type of cool folding star thing.  My wife got a swan that flaps it's wings.  We were quite impressed. ;D

That's really good, especially from a 13 year old! My cousin made all her own sown gift tags, with names stitched on and my other cousin, her brother (both well and truly grown up, I have to say!), used a laser cutter to make snowflakes out of sheet metal to use as tags.  :laugh: It's little efforts like those that make the difference.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
If it's the Wii, I bet it's Lego Batman. No idea if it's any good, but the Lego games do look like fun.

It is Lego Batman.  I thought it looked interesting..I've read good things about some of the other Lego games..like the Harry Potter one and Indiana Jones.

I think I want to try Arkham Asylum now that I have a PS3...though I have no clue how well I'll do.  

I've seen the Bella Barbie doll..I didn't know they did Alice too.  I think you are probably right about Alice..though I don't think I want an Alice Barbie doll.

So...where are you going to display her? ;)

I've made afghans for people before.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2010, 10:35:35 PM »
I've seen the Bella Barbie doll..I didn't know they did Alice too.  I think you are probably right about Alice..though I don't think I want an Alice Barbie doll.

In the interest of full disclosure, I said I wanted an Alice doll and a Victoria doll so I could do... fun things with them.  But she ignored that part and just got me Alice. :laugh:

I'll just keep it sealed and in 20 years when Twilight is as big as Gone With the Wind, I'll sell it for my retirement! :hysterical:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:10 PM »
You wanted to do naughty things with the dolls?  Why I'm shocked.   :laugh:

You could still display her in the box..and you may be right about being able to sell it in the future.  Some of those limited collector's Barbie dolls have gone for a lot of money.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2010, 11:41:18 PM »
Although I never did it in the first place, my general mindset about keeping toys in their boxes for the sake of being a collector's item changed after seeing Toy Story 2.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
I understand that...I kind of felt like that after that one too.  Though I only have a few things that stayed in the boxes.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
Another good reason to keep it in the box: I'm a 42 YEAR OLD MAN! What the hell am I going to do with a Barbie doll (jokes of an Alice / Victoria party aside)!  :laugh:

Still, it was a fun gift.  ;D

Critter

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Another good reason to keep it in the box: I'm a 42 YEAR OLD MAN! What the hell am I going to do with a Barbie doll (jokes of an Alice / Victoria party aside)!  :laugh:

You could always burn it? I find that's a fun thing to do with anything relating to Twilight.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »

You could always burn it? I find that's a fun thing to do with anything relating to Twilight.

That's the best thing you have ever said.  :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »

That's the best thing you have ever said.  :hysterical:

I noticed a few people listed Twilight amongst their presents. Is there an undercurrent of support for the series now? Is it really that bad? Kermode likes it, so I reckon it's misunderstood and is actually very good.

Better than Potter anyway.

(click to show/hide)

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »
Be careful Jon.  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
 :laugh:

You're treading a fine line there Jon.

Rogmeister

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2010, 02:11:20 AM »
I have never seen Twilight and have no plans to start now.  Luckily, people don't tend to get me movies.  And if they did (and really know me) they'd know I'm not into horror films.  Better to get me Young Guns than Twilight...  :whistle:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2010, 05:41:26 AM »
Be careful Jon.  :laugh:
Even Kermode will disagree with him on that :laugh: