Author Topic: Wikileaks  (Read 8195 times)

Critter

Wikileaks
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
So what's everyones opinions of this guy? Going too far and just attention seeking, or genuine hero fighting for freedom of speech by disclosing Government secrets? He's certainly pushed the barrier this time.

Najemikon

Re: Wikileaks
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
Definitely going too far. "Public interest" is one thing, but I'm sure most intelligent people can understand that certain things aren't transparent for good, genuine reasons, not cover ups.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
Well, then I'm one of the few intelligent people (as opposed to most intelligent people). ;)
If it weren't beyond the scope of this forum, I could tell some stories from my Stasi files...
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
Since I have studied in politics and I was also highly involved in student politic (I was for 3 years on the central comity of my university student association and President of my departement for 2 years) those revelations aren't surprising. It's the way it works, a lot of back stabbing and bad mouthing...

But there is a difference between knowing the practice and telling what is said... This guy is an irresponsable (without mentionning a rapist also, since he is within the scope of an international arrest warrant for this) and deserve to be arrested for treason and jailed for threatening state security and spying. Did he really think that nothing will happen because of this in some countries? Some countries doesn't need a lot of provocations to act...

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
Here's an editorial by a well known guy here in Quebec, translated by Google. He makes some very good points about this situation. I do think it's completely irresponsible to release those wires.

Transparency: How Far?

I challenge you today.

During the next 48 hours, say whatever comes into your head, no lie, no white gloves, nothing.

But the truth.

Tell your girlfriend she has grown, your boyfriend that you hate his mother, your children they can not draw, your best friend than the gift he gave you your birthday is zero and you've exchanged.

You see, very quickly, your life will become a hell.

Betis KID

Lying is essential to life. It is the lubricant that facilitates human relationships.

Ditto for the country. The Heads of State can not say out loud what they think about their neighbors or their vis-à-vis, because we continually pass from one crisis to another.

It's called diplomacy.

With thousands of publicly revealing confidential diplomatic telegram (telegram which claimed among others that Sarkozy is "authoritarian," Hugo Chavez is "crazy" and that Russia is "a mafia state"), the site manager has Wikileaks behaved like a kid who, for mangling his family, steals her sister's diary and reads excerpts aloud at dinner Sunday.

It may be funny, it excites perhaps Internet users worldwide, but it's not smart for two pennies.

It's downright stupid.

FLIGHT OF THE PRODUCTS

But where the director of Wikileaks is irresponsible when it begins to reveal state secrets that could jeopardize the safety of his country.

That sounds good transparency, but there is a limit that can not be crossed.

After all, the world is not a scout jamboree, but a poker tournament and a poker tournament, you do not reveal your hand to your opponents.

That is why we are still waiting thirty years to make some public records. For not shooting ourselves in the foot.
As a reader wrote in the French daily Telegram:

"Without the slightest regard for the need to protect legitimate secrets States, leaders of Wikileaks indiscriminately throw the fly hundreds of thousands of electronic documents. What is their purpose? Do they remember that these texts are the products of flights? "

THE SECRET

What's next?

Activists Wikileaks will reveal the identity of secret agents on the pretext that they do not agree with the positions of the U.S. government?

They will make public the secret negotiations, revealing the weaknesses of the armed forces participating in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Update collusion and corruption is one thing. Reveal state secrets is another.

The struggle for transparency is legitimate. After all, citizens are entitled to know if their government lies to them or not, or if their leader has declared war on the basis of false allegations, for example.

But beyond a certain point, transparency becomes a kind of totalitarianism.

A NECESSARY EVIL?

It's flat to say, it's not very politically correct, but sometimes, to make omelettes, you have indeed breaking eggs.

Away from the microphones and cameras ...

Original french article here

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
For once I can say I agree with Richard Martineau, but I haven't hear any commentators here presenting that as a bright move. Of course I have no idea for Mario Dumont since I don't watch his TV show and because he is one of the most retarded person in our small politic world (and this time I use the term for its real meaning).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
I have no interest in the type of content that was released. The majority of those who are interested would be people whose intent is malicious.

I believe that for someone to do something that puts another in harms way is socially, morally and ethically reprehensible.

Legally, I don't know the particulars.  But, if the person releasing that type of sensitive information violated standards set by his country, he should be prosecuted under those laws.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:40:31 AM by Kathy »

Critter

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
Legally, I don't know the particulars.  But, if the person releasing that type of sensitive information violated standards set by his country, he should be prosecuted under those laws.

I'm pretty sure he has violated standards not only for Australia... but pretty much everywhere. Isn't he on many countries arrest lists right now? Man I would hate to be in his shoes. I wouldn't be surprised if the Government secretly tried to have him assassinated. Or maybe I just watch too many spy movies  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »
I don't know a lot about this..I haven't been watching the news closely, but I don't think he should be doing this.  Depending on what information is released, it puts people in danger. 

I did hear a little yesterday on the news that this guy is claiming he's going to release stuff tied to a big bank in the US that will turn things upside down..or something like that. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:26:09 AM »
As he wasn't in enough trouble already... Does he realizes where is the real power in the world? He is better to find a hole to hide really fast and a lawsuit from a bank is probably the least menacing consequences he will encounters...

15 minutes of fame research as its more disgusting... I won't be surprise to learn he will be kill in less than a year, sound harsh but sometimes we must pay for what we do.

hal9g

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:32:18 AM »
He should meet the same fate as those two Iraqi nuclear scientists recently!   :redcard:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:25 AM »
It does seem like he's put a huge target on himself.
Not everything is a cover up...and not all information needs to be made public.

Critter

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
This is getting interesting.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/attacks-shut-down-wikileaks-20101203-18jqt.html

They seem to be after him for sexual assault now, which some are claiming is just a set-up to catch/defame him.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 07:06:12 AM »
Hmm...He seems to be getting in more and more trouble.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
They seem to be after him for sexual assault now, which some are claiming is just a set-up to catch/defame him.
This is what I said in my first post :P
Does he think that I will cry for him? If I was him I would surrender myself fast to Interpol, before being find by the KGB, the Mossad, the Iranian secret service or the CIA. If he didn't realized the kind of shitstorm he would put himself in he sure ain't the brightest apple from the tree... Being arrested for rape is the least dangerous thing that could happen to him. Without wanting to sound insensitive this tool deserve everything that could happen to him (even being killed), wanting 15 minutes of fame is relativelly fine but you don't do it at the depend of the international security.

BTW the newspapers that help him on that deserved to be put on trial also...