Author Topic: What!?!?!  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 05:24:47 AM »
It's a bloody remake of a 1992 movie. I amnot more upset than about any other stupid remake that came out over the past few years. The original will remain what it is...

Critter

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
It's a bloody remake of a 1992 movie. I amnot more upset than about any other stupid remake that came out over the past few years. The original will remain what it is...

From all the articles I read it seemed to be suggested that it will be a remake of the TV series instead of the old film. And also, both the Film and series are Joss Whedons, yet he isn't even happy about this new "reboot". They probably didn't even ask his permission, that's what makes me sad is that he seems to have no creative control over a show that he put a huge part of his life into making, and in the process created a legacy which is now being abused.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »
From all the articles I read it seemed to be suggested that it will be a remake of the TV series instead of the old film. And also, both the Film and series are Joss Whedons, yet he isn't even happy about this new "reboot". They probably didn't even ask his permission, that's what makes me sad is that he seems to have no creative control over a show that he put a huge part of his life into making, and in the process created a legacy which is now being abused.
While it's a question of courtesy, they don't have to ask him.

Isn't the old movie the foundation to the series, based on the same setup? So I don't see the difference.

Again, they are not recutting the original, they are merely remaking it. the original remains untouched ;)

Critter

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »
I know that the original film and series will obviously not be changed, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't see the point of this "reboot" at all. Why make it in the first place? Technically the film was the prequel in a way to the series, so you're right it's just a remake of the whole thing. Or who knows , maybe they will set it in the years after the show finished? Either way my readings online today show many unhappy people about this, and as a Buffy fan I can't help but also feel disappointed.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
I like The Soprano's as much as the next person, it is possible to like more than one show remember  ;).
By the way, what is the reason for the Buffy hate? And I mean a real reason, not "I found it to be quite cheap". It's obviously not a show for everyone and the fact that you don't like it is fine, but I'm just curious what turns you off? I couldn't figure out what you meant  by "cheap" as your only description, to me that could mean any number of things.

I never said I hated Buffy. I haven't seen enough of it to say that I hate it. But from what I have seen it appears to be low standards; in terms of acting, characters, story and special effects.
That's just my opinion. But like you said, it isn't for everyone.

Critter

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
I never said I hated Buffy. I haven't seen enough of it to say that I hate it. But from what I have seen it appears to be low standards; in terms of acting, characters, story and special effects.

I thought you may say something like that. I don't agree on acting, characters or story, but I do agree that the special effects aren't the best at times. That "corny" look sometimes turns a few people off. And frankly, I don't blame anyone for that, especially if they have seen the "werewolf" costumes in the show. I love it though, to me that (at times) almost home-budget look costumes just adds to the charm. It does improve as the seasons go on, but it's definitely a bit rustic in the start.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 07:00:01 AM »

I thought you may say something like that. I don't agree on acting, characters or story, but I do agree that the special effects aren't the best at times. That "corny" look sometimes turns a few people off. And frankly, I don't blame anyone for that, especially if they have seen the "werewolf" costumes in the show. I love it though, to me that (at times) almost home-budget look costumes just adds to the charm. It does improve as the seasons go on, but it's definitely a bit rustic in the start.

For me it's comparable to a stage play. If the story and the characters are interesting enough, I can accept the lack of visual effects. I would never advertise the special effects of Babylon 5 for example, but the story is really great and it's one of my all-time favourite shows.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:42 AM »
Buffy without Joss Whedon involved in some way is wrong.  Yes the original movie went off in a direction he didn't want when he did the script, but his influence is still there. 

It is just wrong.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
I know, I was only messing with you. Although, I do believe I should warn you that almost every single user on this forum is a Buffy fan.
I seem to be one of the few exceptions then.
But that's mainly because IMO good movies/TV-Shows on vampires are very hard to find and "Buffy" isn't one of them.
One of the thing's that happens to you if you're a devotee to Anne Rice.

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
Just... no. No, no, bloody no. What the hell are they thinking? Maybe, just slightly maybe, if they were going for a completely different vibe, perhaps Let The Right One In subtlety with teenagers like those in Brick. But we all know that isn't what they're doing. Even if they did it would undermine the Mr. Pointy of the whole idea.

I know you were. I think I'll have to recruit some Soprano fans to this forum to sort all you Buffy fans out  :laugh:

Oh, I would take that challenge any day! My US TV obsessions, during their respective broadcasts, have been: The X-Files, Buffy, The Sopranos. The Wire can also be added, but I've only seen season 1 to date.

Buffy is not only the very best of that bunch, I regard season two as the best TV series bar none. And the episode in season 5, The Body, is for me, the finest piece of television writing ever. It features very little vampire action, but the one scene there is, is simply stunning.

I get what you mean about the cheapness, but that's why I love it. I enjoy irreverence with intelligence most of all and beneath the surface of easy jokes, snappy dialogue and the effects, was subtlety that at times was simply pure joy to witness.

On the other hand, I was blown away by The Sopranos, but it was frequently naive, predictable and downright dumb. Don't misunderstand me, it was also awesome and usually the best thing on TV at the time (Tony Soprano is one of the best characters I've ever seen), but still it seemed like it didn't have an ace to rely on when it could have been sublime. I'm only saying this to make the distinction between it and Buffy though.

Critter

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »
Buffy is not only the very best of that bunch, I regard season two as the best TV series bar none. And the episode in season 5, The Body, is for me, the finest piece of television writing ever. It features very little vampire action, but the one scene there is, is simply stunning.

This one 'simply stunning' scene. I'm going to try and guess which one it is.
(click to show/hide)
I've always considered that an outright amazing scene.

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »

This one 'simply stunning' scene. I'm going to try and guess which one it is.
(click to show/hide)
I've always considered that an outright amazing scene.

Sorry, I didn't wrote that proper! ;)

Yes, that is possibly the highlight of the episode and a perfect example of why Buffy was the work of genius, but I actually meant in relation to the one vampire reference:

(click to show/hide)

Critter

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »
Oh sorry haha, I get it now you were reffering to the vampire scene. Yeah I found that other scene amazing as well. When I was studying media in High School my teacher made the entire class watch 'The Body', despite the fact half the class had never even watched a single episode of the show. He said it was the finest hour of television anyone has ever seen, and trust me, coming from this guy that was a huge compliment. He also knew that I was a Buffy fan and made me lend out my DVD's of it to other members of the class  ::)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:34 AM »
Oh, I would take that challenge any day! My US TV obsessions, during their respective broadcasts, have been: The X-Files, Buffy, The Sopranos. The Wire can also be added, but I've only seen season 1 to date.

Did you ever watch The Shield?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:38 AM »
Just to be clear, I was just having a bit of fun with my down-to-earth comments.

It was just funny... When "they" remake other stuff, we don't care, but if they remake the stuff we love and care about, it suddenly becomes blasphemy :laugh: