Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories!  (Read 2762 times)

Critter

Conspiracy Theories!
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:56 AM »
Just a thread to see if anyone has any interest in conspiracy theories at all.

Personally I had no interest in them at all until I started my new job. My co worker is really into them and often plays 'The Veritas Show' in the office while we are working. This is a type of webcast radio show which interviews all sorts of people every week to do with Government conspiracies, paranormal activities etc. My co worker has also spent some time explaining in detail all of the theories to me and some of them are very far fetched. At the same time though I find it really interesting, and while I don't outright agree with any of them, I also don't straight away disagree with any of them, I just have a somewhat third-person interest.

Some of the things he has covered with me (and that we have listened to on the Veritas Show) are:
(I'm sure some of you will get a laugh out of this, but I still find it interesting at the same time.

- The Twin Towers were evaporated.
- TV Shows The Event, V and Battlestar Galactica are all made by the US Government as an attempt to get the truth out to the public.
- Chloride is put in our drinking water to make the general population slow and passive.
- If you wear a certain type of night vision/infa-red goggles at any time day or night, in any part of the world and look at the sky then you will see intergalactic wars going on. Including many ships that are on our side, protecting Earth.
- In New Mexico there are Government officials working with extraterrestrials who are performing human DNA experiments on real human test subjects that they steal from the streets - in return for the alien technology.
- Most of the worlds largest Alien research centers, Area 51 etc are all connected by giant underground tunnels from country to country. The researches can go from one country to another via these channels in mere few seconds.
- The moon isn't real.
- Humans were made by Aliens and have always been on Earth. Many species of Alien still live underground on Earth today.

Okay, so these are just some I can remember off the top of my head. And as I said, my co worker may be generally believing all of this but I personally just find it an interesting way to pass the time, and I don't really agree OR disagree with any of it.

Just wondering if anyone had any interesting thoughts on these or other theories.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:45:55 AM by Critter »

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Conspiracy Theories!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
I love reading about conspiracy theories. I don't really believe any of them but as a form of entertainment they're great.

Google David Icke, he is right onto the whole reptilian/human conspiracy, which is also linked to the one world government conspiracy. His stuff is really out there.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:04:07 AM »
Cool I'll look him up. I think I may have heard his name once or twice while working here.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:18:37 AM »

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »
One that I find ironic was the concept of the government constantly spying on us (Big Brother). When Sputnik was launched by the Soviet Union, many Americans panicked thinking it a spy satellite. In later years people began believing they were being implanted with chips by the government whenever they had surgery (and sometimes in much more simple ways such as giving blood or taking a pill), and these chips were meant to do everything from tracking our every move to brainwashing us.

Well, now we have cell phones that people never turn off which have a built in GPS that can track down our exact location within a few feet at any moment (and if that isn't available such as too much time has passed, they can track a general location based on which towers were used during a call or while roaming), IP addresses and Wi-Fi signals that can allow someone to find our general location given some time, and we have maneuverable satellites that can take pictures close enough to read print on a newspaper as well as cameras on every corner of many cities placed there "for our protection."

Suddenly, Big Brother doesn't sound as crazy of an idea as it used to.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:13:13 AM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:21:46 AM »
Well, now we have cell phones that people never turn off which have a built in GPS that can track down our exact location within a few feet at any moment (and if that isn't available such as too much time has passed, they can track a general location based on which towers were used during a call or while roaming), IP addresses and Wi-Fi signals that can allow someone to find our general location given some time, and we have maneuverable satellites that can take pictures close enough to read print on a newspaper as well as cameras on every corner of many cities placed there "for our protection."
And in case "They" miss something, "Facebook" was launched where people publish the little remains of their privacy ... Oh wait, I've got another update  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:59:44 PM »
I used to have a magazine regularly called X-Factor, that obviously rode on the X-Files popularity for becoming suspicious about anything. They were interesting, but I liked the magazine because it gave a balanced view of each case so could be taken seriously. Over the years, I decided most were very unlikely. Now as I'm getting older, I find the idea of conspiracies laughable, like the idea that George W. Bush orchestrated 9/11 to have an excuse to invade Iraq. I don't deny he probably leapt on the opportunity, but anything further than that gives him too much credit for thinking!  :laugh:

Another favourite was that the moon landings were faked. There is a huge amount of evidence to support it, but I think NASA has answered each one very well and I really think the theorists are more desperate to find evidence of any conspiracy than an interest in "the truth".

Actually I think the excellent Australian film, The Dish, seriously undermines any suggested hoax about the moon landings. It doesn't address it, but shows just how big the event was.

Critter

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:20 PM »
I love The Dish Jon it's a great film.

Speaking of conspiracies, what's with that missile or whatever that was launched in the US and caught on tape, only for them to say it was a jet plane? Yeah... a jet plane that takes off vertically and has no wings? That sounds like a cover-up to me.  :hmmmm:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
Actually I think the excellent Australian film, The Dish, seriously undermines any suggested hoax about the moon landings. It doesn't address it, but shows just how big the event was.

Sounds interesting. Wishlisted!

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
It's a great little film, Tom. Very gentle humour about little people in a massive event. It has one of my favorite lines in it.

Sophie, have you seen The Castle, by the same director I believe? I couldn't get into that one the same way. Too Australian in a way. ;)

Critter

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
Yeah I've seen The Castle. I enjoy The Castle a lot but not as much as a lot of people around here do. I still think the best Australian film I have seen, or very close to the best anyway has to be Animal Kingdom. I hope that many people on this forum give that one a go. It's out on DVD over here now but I'm not sure about other countries.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 04:00:34 AM »
Another favourite was that the moon landings were faked. There is a huge amount of evidence to support it, but I think NASA has answered each one very well and I really think the theorists are more desperate to find evidence of any conspiracy than an interest in "the truth".
I remember when I was young and much more impressionable by theories without taking my own steps to hypothesize and conclude, the moon landings (well, the first one or two anyway) was one of the things that I questioned as well. One of the fun theories that I heard many years later is "if they really did it, why haven't we been back again in such a long time?   Ummm.... maybe because it's a giant, baron, lifeless rock?  :laugh:

There was one special on (that I actually have somewhere) that was pretty convincing in terms of the fakery evidence that they gave... things like, why did the lander not create any kind of indent if it had such powerful jets to land it smoothly, yet the ground was "a fine powder" that easy left a 2 1/2 inch impression when the first step was made on the moon?

The show MythBusters (of all things) debunked many of the biggest ideas which I was shocked I'd never seen people attempt to debunk on television before (not that it never happened on tv... just that I had never seen it done)

Oh, here's another: the Food and Drug Administration is teamed up secretly with drug companies and surgical field. Drugs cost a lot of money to create between testing, man hours, and so on. The FDA steps in and tells people how much of what they should eat supposedly at levels much higher than they in actuality should. So, while people think they are doing right, the FDA's recommendations, if followed, are in actually a major cause of obesity. As a result, people then often take measures such as pills and surgery to get them back to a healthy weight. :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:02:34 AM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »
Yeah I've seen The Castle. I enjoy The Castle a lot but not as much as a lot of people around here do. I still think the best Australian film I have seen, or very close to the best anyway has to be Animal Kingdom. I hope that many people on this forum give that one a go. It's out on DVD over here now but I'm not sure about other countries.

I'm really want to see Animal Kingdom. I finally got around to watching The Proposition recently and that was a excellent. I recommend seeing Proof and Malcolm if you haven't already, great Australian films!

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:26:27 AM »
I still think the best Australian film I have seen, or very close to the best anyway has to be Animal Kingdom. I hope that many people on this forum give that one a go. It's out on DVD over here now but I'm not sure about other countries.

Are you talking about

or 

Critter

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »
Micheal only one of those images turned up but we are talking about.