Author Topic: Feeling Alone  (Read 4923 times)

Najemikon

Re: Feeling Alone
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »
That's not fair, Michael. I have to stick up for Marie here because reading between the lines, we might be in similar situations, albeit briefly. My mum has a condition that means on an average day, she appears fit and healthy, but in fact struggles with the simplest of tasks because she suffers from a tremor that affects every decision and task she considers. While not disabled as such, she might as well be and I live my life around what she needs.

That means I have a fairly solitary existence, through choice and I wouldn't change it, but nonetheless, I'm the only person who fully understands what she is going through. Occasionally I have discussed things with people I know I can trust. If I didn't, I would go nuts.

Now in my situation, Marie's problem couldn't happen, because the handful I've discussed it with don't know my mum and would have to be openly vindictive to use what I've told them to hurt me or her. But still, they know when they don't actually need to.

Until you've been in this situation, you can't possibly judge.

hal9g

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
I have to agree with Jon, here.

Sharing information with a trusted friend (what Marie did) is not even close to the same as gossiping (what her friend did)!

The problem is knowing who you can trust.  I think we've all made this same mistake at one time or another.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »
Until you've been in this situation, you can't possibly judge.
My father died of pancreas cancer four years ago, the two years it took him to die weren't much of fun either and nearly cost me my job, my wife, my life, so I think I can understand what Marie and you are going through at the moment. And believe me you two have my deepest sympathy.

I didn't want to say that Marie was gossiping. If it read this way I'm incredibly sorry for this.
What I wanted to say was that Marie told a story that was told to her as being confidential to someone else first, who as it later turned out, likes to gossip.

So (emotional stress yes or no) she did exactly the same thing as her friend did, and the situation he was in when he told the story might be considered as emotional stress too ("quid pro quo"-situation), a different form and probably he should have had the backbone to withstand, but nevertheless "stress".
That doesn't make the treason of her friend any better, but I for one wouldn't trust anybody more than I could trust myself.

I think we've all made this same mistake at one time or another.
Yupp, and probably even both of them:
-Telling something we shouldn't have
-Trusting someone we shouldn't have
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:48:47 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »
I trusted someone I shouldn't have. It was a girl I met two years ago, we became pretty good friends then one day she just completely broke off contact with me. I have never seen or heard from here since; along with the fours DVDs I let her borrow.

But the thing is, the very first time we met I knew there was something not quite right about her. I knew it in my gut, but I just ignored because I was so happy to have met someone new. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »
Today was a bit of a rough day. I am helping a woman who became a quadriplegic after being shot in the mouth while on the job. This happened 4 years ago today.

As many of you know, the anniversary of tragedies often are a difficult time. And so it was with my client today. There are no words or comfort I could give other than being there.

Feeling alone - although she has someone with her 24/7, I find those words to be so fitting for someone in her condition.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:57 AM »
At the point when I explained to him what was going on with my mom, I was more stressed because of the situation..and felt like I needed to talk about it.  Obviously it wasn't a good decision. 

And it wasn't just that.. He told that woman stuff about me that is none of her damn business.  Not all stuff that I told him..stuff that he decided applied to me because of me doing or not doing somethings.  Then she came up with all sorts of half assed theories about me and what is wrong with me basically.
So excuse me for being irked.

I feel like I'll never tell anyone anything again.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 05:42:24 AM »
While I agree with Kathy, that he can't be trusted with confidential stuff in the future (or at least anytime soon), it seems he has one thing going for him: It appears that he ultimately told you all details of his conversation and didn't try to deny? Maybe I am reading it wrong, though.

I am more of a recliusive person as well and am very choosy about who I tell what. I agree with Jon, that sometimes it is important to talk about stuff with others to keep yourself sane. On the other hand, I also agree that a secret is only truly kept if not told to anyone.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 06:43:20 AM »
He told me what he did.  It ended up being a few hours of him telling me everything...going over some of it over and over.  Then later, he started up on it again.  I wasn't in the mood to hear more of it at that point..I had to get up early for work the next day..ended up barely sleeping that night.  He kept saying that it was more her fault than his because she asked the questions.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Today was a bit of a rough day. I am helping a woman who became a quadriplegic after being shot in the mouth while on the job. This happened 4 years ago today.

As many of you know, the anniversary of tragedies often are a difficult time. And so it was with my client today. There are no words or comfort I could give other than being there.

Feeling alone - although she has someone with her 24/7, I find those words to be so fitting for someone in her condition.

It is understandable that it would be a difficult day for her given what happened.  At least you were there for her.  That's something.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 07:43:41 AM »
Then later, he started up on it again.

He kept saying that it was more her fault than his because she asked the questions.

He is not as smart as I thought after all.... :-\

Some people have a very persuasive way to ask questions though... :hmmmm:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Who spends time talking to their landlord anyway? I can't remember ever sitting down and discussing personal things with someone I rented from.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:03 AM »
That's what I've wondered too.  I know I wouldn't be sticking around ...I'd drop off the check..get my receipt and be gone.
He has spent hours talking to her..when this happened it was like...I don't know...8 hours.  Last month was a few hours.

Critter

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:36 AM »
I'm feeling a little bit lonely right now. My Mum and her partner had to go to Tasmania for 3 days and I will be home alone. I called me friend to see if she wanted to stay a few nights but she is staying in rural Victoria this week, and my other close friend is still in Singapore.  :(
I don't like being alone at the nights. I know I'm a wimp, but it freaks me out. Suddenly every little sound is something coming to kill me.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
It's only three days, not even a week, not even half a week.
Watch Home Alone 1 and 2, that will make you feel better.  :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »
Eugh not those. I actually really dislike those films.