Author Topic: Argh! My biggest fear has returned!  (Read 6296 times)

Critter

Re: Argh! My biggest fear has returned!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 12:25:27 AM »
Huntsmans are actually quite harmless. I know many people who just pick them up by hand and put them outside. Unfortunately none of those people live in my house. Everyone is too scared for that so we end up having to just poison them with bug spray etc. I always feel guilty about it, and I don't like killing any animal, I mean that is why I'm vegetarian after all. If I get to close to a huntsman though the fear just takes over and renders me incapable of any movement.

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
We seem to get a lot of spiders because our house is fairly old and has a couple of unfinished rooms and it always amuses me how people can be scared because they seem so timid and nervous! I see one fairly regularly (I swear it's the same guy :P) who appears from under a wall takes a few steps and then blitzes right across the room as if terrified anyone should see him! I can almost hear him... "gonnamakeitgonnamakeitgonnamakeitgonnamakeitgonnamakeitgonnamakeitMADEIT!"

And excuse the graphic image, but I was sat on the toilet the other day when I noticed a medium sized spider sat minding his own business on the toilet roll. I carefully placed him to one side and was thankful I had noticed him. I'm not sure who would have had the bigger adventure if I hadn't, but he went his way and I went mine and I think we were both better off. :whistle:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 02:43:55 AM »
One of my father's friends had a bathroom experience with a spider...he was sitting on the toilet when he felt a sting on his naughty bits. It turned out he was bitten by a black widow spider. He ended up hospitalized but everything turned out okay...except he never lived it down!

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
Ironically, given recentness of this topic, a few hours ago while pulled a clock off a wall, a web must have formed behind it which I touched. A little spider ran onto my finger and all of the way up my arm.

I think that it fell off after that (which actually doesn't make sense) because it suddenly disappeared.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »
I am the one with the irrational fear - see I know it is irrational at least - of snakes.  I freak just seeing one in a movie or a picture of one.
Seeing the next Harry Potter is gonna be difficult..why or why couldn't Voldemort have had a pet rat?  Or even a spider.  Spiders in movies don't bother me, but snakes freak me out.  If I ever found one in the house, I'd have a full on freak out..and there very likely might be a Marie shaped hole in the wall I ran through while screaming like an idiot.
 :laugh:

Like I said, spiders don't bother me in movies, even when they are huge.  Real life however is a different story.  My step dad has laughed at me for my reactions to spiders I felt were big but he thought were small.

One night I was going to take a bath instead of a shower.  I always turn the hot water on first so it can start getting warm before turning on the cold.  So I did that and let it run a minute or so.  When I went to turn on the cold water, I saw a spider on the faucet.  As far as I'm concerned, the thing was big.  I know I jumped...I think I must have come close to falling backwards over the toilet in my haste to get away.  I restrained the scream since it was late and everyone was asleep.  I ended up spraying it with hairspray until it fell in the tub.  The hot water was still on and by that time, it was really hot.  Even after the spider was off the faucet, I had to work up my courage to turn off the hot water.  That freaked me out and I decided to skip the soak in the tub.

Critter

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
I ended up spraying it with hairspray until it fell in the tub.

I have done that exact same thing before! It's amazing how many times hairspray will work against spiders, makes them all sticky.

One night I was going to bed late and everyone else in my house was asleep. It was about 2 or 3 in the morning. Anyway, I had the light on and turned off my computer to go to bed when I noticed a giant huntsman on my bedroom floor... right in front of my closed door! It was deliberately blocking my escape, I couldn't get to the door and had no other way to get out. So I stood on my bed (shaking quite a lot) and grabbed my mobile phone which was on the floor next to my bed. I then proceeded to call the house phone over and over until I woke everyone up and my sister and Mum came to the rescue. I was not a very popular person in the household the next day, but I must say I was quite proud of my initiative.  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »
Spider creep me out and if I see them in real life (assuming they are large enough) I will scream like a little girl.

In Australia everything seems to be bigger :fingerchew: Thankfully I rarely see spiders in Taiwan at all (*knocks on wood*), except one of similar size to the huntsman around 12 years ago.

They don't bother me in movies, except creeping me a little, which they are supposed to, I guess.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 07:14:04 AM »
Spider creep me out and if I see them in real life (assuming they are large enough) I will scream like a little girl.

Ahhh...so you're like Icabod in Sleepy Hollow then.  Would you jump up on furniture and cower too?
That always makes me laugh when I watch the movie...though if I saw a spider that size in real life, I'd have reacted just like him.   :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »
They don't bother me in movies, except creeping me a little, which they are supposed to, I guess.

If I see a large spider in real life I freak out, but seeing them on screen never bothers me at all. I just don't find them scary through a camera. (Funnily enough though I don't like looking at still photos of them for too long, I start to get creeped out).

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
I have never understood fear of something in a picture, then again, there are many phobias that others would find peculiar... particularly if they can do no harm. For instance (and yes, this is a real phobia I first heard about as a child): Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. ???

While in college, one of my dorm mates was afraid of either thunder or lightening (I can't remember which) but not the other. His girlfriend was afraid of the opposite... lightening or thunder but not the first. So, when there was a storm, they were curled up in each others arms in fear and would react back and forth at the different events. Lightening, then thunder, then lightening, then thunder. It was amusing to watch, actually.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »
Ahhh...so you're like Icabod in Sleepy Hollow then.  Would you jump up on furniture and cower too?
I won't cower, but wouldn't rule out jumping onto furniture :bag:

So, when there was a storm, they were curled up in each others arms in fear and would react back and forth at the different events. Lightening, then thunder, then lightening, then thunder. It was amusing to watch, actually.
They should take advantage of that :devil:

RossRoy

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »
Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. ???

A while ago, I was watching TV and stumbled on a program.. There was a girl on that said she was afraid of pickles!! Pickle phobia?? Small cucumbers? Fear of cucumbers?? Would someone please explain to me what happen to her to make her fear cucumbers??

Actually no.. I don't want to know...

snowcat

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:18 AM »
We leave out back door open alot so we always have spiders in the house

in fact ;)
(click to show/hide)

...That was taken on Sunday ;) look how cute it is.

Critter

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
That little guy is pretty cute. I wish those are the size of the ones we get here.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:47 AM »
Would someone please explain to me what happen to her to make her fear cucumbers??
She's an actress and someone paid her for it??
At least that's how they do it on German shows like this.