Author Topic: Argh! My biggest fear has returned!  (Read 6297 times)

Critter

Argh! My biggest fear has returned!
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
I am in a major panic right now.

There is one thing in this world that causes me fear like nothing else, even the thought of it sends shivers up my spine and I just encountered it then. I was just on my way upstairs to my Mum's study to collect the rubbish to put out, I turn the corner and what do I see? A Huntsman spider!  :weep:

I'm in a state of real panic right now, I have hardly been able to stop shaking since I saw it, and I'm still very much on edge. The thing is, I have lived here almost 20 years and every single time the weather warms up and Summer rolls around the hunstman spiders return. You would think I would be used to it by now... yet here we are and I am still as terrified as ever. In fact it's very early in the season to be seeing them, it's still October, we don't usually start seeing them in our houses until December.

I don't know if Hunstman spiders are just Australian or not, but if you have no idea what I am talking about I suggest you go to google images and have a look at the huntsmans for yourself. I would post an image here but for the sake of any other aracnaphobes out there I thought I wouldn't. I myself can barley look at a still image of one.  :fingerchew:

I don't consider myself a very squimish or easily scared person (cept for horror films ;)). As you saw in recent photos I will easily pat a tiger, hold large snakes and lizards, hold large birds. I even played with a large crocodiles once, and I have no problem at all with mice, rats, insects and even other spiders. Yet my entire life I have been scared of the Hunstman like nothing else on Earth. It's still up there right now and I can't stop thinking about it.

Anyway, sorry about that little rant, I just had to get the fear I am feeling right now out somewhere. I know at least one member here has a major issue with snakes, but are there any other aracnaphobes here? Or even anyone who just has a particular critter that sends them to near pieces everytime they see it?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:48:12 AM by Critter »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Argh! My biggest fear has returned!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

Never seen on of those (maybe in a zoo behind glas).

I'm pretty sure I have a controlled fear. For example, I'd never go near a snake if I'd encountered one on the wild life. But if it were some show and I was reassured they weren't poisenous I'm sure I could muster up and let them slide over my face. Same goes for spiders.
The only problem I have with my house spiders is that I have to remove their webs from time to time.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:09:07 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
I feel your pain... pretty much any spider has me terrified.

Britt always laughs at me because of my fear of Spiders and yet Spider-Man is my favorite superhero.  :P
Pete

Critter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:50 PM »
Haha, I was actually brave enough just then to click on that wiki link from Karsten *shudders*. Those are some clear images of my biggest fear, the photo's don't really show how massive they are though, we can get them the size of large dinner plates!
We gassed the one I found before with an insect bomb. You just sort of set the bomb off then shut the door, I haven't been up there yet (nor will I) until I know for sure that it's dead. But now I have something else to worry about... they are usually found in pairs  :fingerchew:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
Haha, I was actually brave enough just then to click on that wiki link from Karsten *shudders*.

Then you should not open that spoiler! I dare you!  :devil:

Maybe I should add a javarscript that lets spider run over the screen on Halloween. *evil*
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:26:35 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »
You wouldn't dare! I would have to read the forum with my hands over my eyes   :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
Karsten

Critter

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
Haha that's not too bad. I think it's actually kind of cute. As I said before it's mainly the Hunstmans that get to me.

Also this video is hilarious, it reminds me exactly what I was like a couple of hours ago when I first saw the spider.

:hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
I like spiders and wound never hurt them. They are friends to humans...they kill flies and mosquitoes!

Isn't the Huntsman spider the in inspiration for the one in LOTR?

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
Isn't the Huntsman spider the in inspiration for the one in LOTR the ones that are so large they have health bars?

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
When I first posted in this thread I was considering to watch a couple spider horror movies today... but this thread has my heart beating hard enough... so I don't think I will now. :bag:
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
I like spiders and wound never hurt them. They are friends to humans...they kill flies and mosquitoes!

My wife doesn't like them, but I told her never to kill one she finds in the house. If it's summer time, I won't even let her move it outside. Once the weather cools in October, I gather them up and move them. You'd be surprised at the amount of gnats, flies and mosquitoes they capture over the course of a summer.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
Personally, I like spiders and snakes, but I can understand others' discontent with them, so I'd never keep one in the house just in case.

I don't have fear over anything small, but there is that consideration for things like roaches, rats, ants, and particularly weevils all around here because they are rather dirty creatures and after finding the smallest cracks to slip into, they head right for your food.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:36:02 PM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
I like spiders. We don't have anything like a Huntsman, I don't think, but I wouldn't mind them. I'd probably keep one and tame it!  :P

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
lol... I love spiders... my cousin used to have a tarantula! I loved to hold it :)