Author Topic: Multiple Dip and Multiple Format  (Read 6980 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Multiple Dip and Multiple Format
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »
I said elsewhere I would create this after seeing that I had dipped 4 times for the Alien Tetralogy in discs that could be catalogued in DVD Profiler.

I'm just wondering how many other people multiple dip whether in one format or across formats.

I''l start with the 3 titles that I have multi-dipped the most:-

Alien: 9 dips
 - on VHS 4 times in 3 different versions - original release in P&S mono which cost around £45.00, the re-issue in hi-fi stereo, the re-issue in widescreen and as part of a facehugger box set
 - on US Laserdisc in Constant Angular Velocity which gave super freeze-frame but only allowed 30mins a side of each disc so this was over 6 sides or 3 discs
 - on DVD 3 times in the R1 and R2 Legacy Box Sets and the R2 Quadrilogy Box Set
 - and now on Blu-ray in the Anthology Box Set

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: 9 dips
 - on VHS 5 times in 4 different versions - original release in P&S mono, the re-issue in hi-fi stereo, a special Collector's Edition, the re-issue in widescreen as part of 2 different Box Sets
 - on US Laserdisc in Constant Linear Velocity which gave 60mins a side of each disc so this was over 3 sides or 2 discs
 - on DVD 2 times in the R1 Director's Edition and the R2 Special Edition in The Movies Box Set
 - and on Blu-ray in the The Legends of the Final Frontier Box Set

Star Wars IV: 8 dips
 - on VHS 5 times in 4 different versions - original release in P&S stereo, the re-issue in widescreen, remastered edition, THX remastered edition and the Special Edition in the Star Wars Trilogy Box Set
 - on US Laserdisc in Constant Angular Velocity as part of Star Wars - The Definitive Edition Box Set
 - on UK Laserdisc in Constant Angular Velocity as part of Star Wars The Special Edition Box Set
 - on DVD 2 times in the R2 Trilogy Box Set and the R2 Limited Edition

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

snowcat

Re: Multiple Dip and Multiple Format
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »
I have a few films that I have a few copies of.... these are what I remember

Step Brothers (Blu-ray and DVD)
Walk Hard (Blu-ray and DVD)
Thelma and Louise (two DVD versions)
Blade Runner (HD, Blu-ray, DVD, special edition box set DVD)
Spider-man Trilogy (DVD and Blu-ray
Brother Bear (two different DVDs)

I just got rid of my VHS collection but I had alot of VHS/DVD double dips.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
I have never double dipped. I only buy blu-rays that I don't already own on DVD.

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
...For some reason I missed out

Anchorman (DVD and HD-DVD)
Old School (DVD and HD-DVD)
Tremours (DVD and HD-DVD)
American Werewolf in London (DVD and HD-DVD)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »
The movies I have more than one time

800 Fantasy Lane (Cal Vista and Wild Side Video)
Abigail Lesley is Back in Town (original 2006 released and 2010 re-release with new special feature)
Laura's Toys (original 2007 released and 2010 re-release with Abigail Lesley)
Barbara Broadcast (VCA Collector's Series and uncut bootleg)
Black Christmas (2002 release and 2006 release with different extras)
Bonnie's Kids (Bootleg and 2010 Dark Sky Films release)
Creepshow (1999 region 1 release and 2007 region 2 release)
Dawn of the Dead (Divimax Special Edition and Ultimate Edition)
Zapped! (2008 american release and a German release only in german...)
Don't Answer the Phone (Bootleg and BCI Uncut release)
Friday the 13th (region 2 release and Ultimate Edition boxset)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1998 MPI release and 20th Anniversary Edition release by Dark Sky Film)
Inside Desirée Cousteau (VCX and Wild Side Video)
New Wave Hookers (VCA release and uncut bootleg)
Night of the Living Dead (Millenium Edition and Legend Film Colorized Version)
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1999 Passport release and Legend Films colorized version)
Reservoir Dogs (1997 original release and Ten Years Special Edition)
Rollerbabies (bootleg and 2010 After Hour Cinema release)
Score (Radley Metzger Collection and Cult Epic Uncensored Version)
Starcrash (crappy Substance release and 2010 Shout! Factory release)
Teenage Twins (bootleg and 2010 After Hour Cinema release)
The Italian Stallion (bootleg and 2007 Cinema Epoch Release)
The Private Afternoons of Pamela Mann (Collector's Edition and uncut bootleg)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Special Edition and 2-Disc Ultimate Edition)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (original release and The Gruesome Edition)
Troll 2 (original double features release and Nilbog Edition)
Virgin Dreams (Alpha Blue Archive release and uncut bootleg)
Wild Things (2002 NuTech Digital release and bootleg of the original release)1

I haven't list the ones I bought also on video tape or the ones I got multiple time in different boxset.

1. This isn't the complete non-sense film with Neve Campbell and Denise Richards
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:08:42 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:32:27 AM »
I think 4 is the highest for me so far, which incl. VHS (only had a few), laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray.

Few examples from the top of my head:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre I have had on laserdisc, DVD (2x) and Blu-ray

Alien & Aliens I have had on laserdisc, DVD (2x) and Blu-ray

Dawn of the Dead I have had on VHS, laserdisc, DVD and Blu-ray

Jaws I have had on VHS, laserdisc, DVD (2x, I believe), patiently waiting for the Blu-ray

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:52:37 AM »
I think my most is 3 for a few I had on VHS..then got on DVD...and have gotten Blu-ray.  Like Beauty and The Beast.  There will more than likely be more of those as I get more Disney on Blu.

I have 3 for Serenity.  DVD, special edition DVD, Blu-ray.

I have several that I had on VHS and have gotten on DVD.  So far, just a few that I had on DVD and have gotten on Blu..though that will change I'm sure.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »
I think the movie I ever bought the most versions of is Dune. The original Star Wars trilogy probably being a close second (if you count VHS).

Currently I have double dips of these movies:

Dune (Theatrical and TV Cut)
Lord of the Rings 1-3 (SEE and CE)
Kill Bill Vol.1 (Japan and Europe Cut)
Soldier (Cut and Uncut)
Star Trek 4 & 6 (Theatrical and Special Edition)
Star Wars 4 - 6 (2004 DVD Edition and Theatrical)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
I've only gone so far as to double dip, but that was because of better re-masterings. I would never dip multiple times.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
I've upgraded dozens of titles, especially if you include boxsets where something I already have is included (most recently with a Clint Eastwood Blu-Ray set, as I already had Blu Gran Torino). Blu-Ray has been the cause of many double-dips.

But the reason for this is that I can sell the originals at a reasonable amount to warrant the upgrade. If I bought a DVD for £5.99 and then much later see an SE or Blu-Ray of the same title for say, £9.99, I'll usually get it knowing I can sell the original for maybe £3. In a few cases, I've made a profit! The one I upgraded the most must be Seven Samurai, all Criterion. I had the single disc original release, then a boxset of four titles, so sold the first one. Then they re-released it and I split the box-set to sell the original. :stars: The Alien movies must be a close second, especially when I finally order the Blu's! Oh and Reservoir Dogs: Vanilla original, special edition, special edition two disc set with fancy cover, Blu-Ray in the novelty petrol can.

Now I loved the artwork on the Reservoir Dogs special edition, but I still sold it. I cannot understand why anyone wants to keep multiple copies of the same movies. It makes zero sense to me.

I do have a couple of genuine double-dips. Like I have the Region 3 Dances With Wolves in an embossed leather pouch and feather tie, which unfortunately doesn't have sub-titles for the Indian bits, so I ended up getting the Region 1 release and then the Region 2 because it was cheap and had both versions. That Region 1 had a beautiful gatefold cover too. Still sold it though!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
I cannot understand why anyone wants to keep multiple copies of the same movies. It makes zero sense to me.
Because the extras, the image ratio, the language track or the subtitles can be different... At least it's the reason why I always keep my movie.

By exemple I keep my crappy release of Starcrash because it's the european version with a french track even if the recent Shout! Factory release is 200% better (but it's the Roger Corman cut, not the european one).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:58:45 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
Oh yeah, that's reasonable, Jimmy. In fact I have two copies of Wonder Boys. One is an ex-rental release framed at 4:3. But it was clearly supposed to a soft-matte widescreen to 1.85:1. Just typical really, they haven't bothered doing it properly for the rental. So I saw the retail version very cheap and grabbed it for the extras. Thing is, it is widescreen, but framed at 2.35:1! They lose most of the image, of course. So I have one for the film and one for the extras.

There are those on this very forum though, Jimmy, who buy DVDs again because of the covers!  :whistle:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
I almost bought the last release of Happy Birthay to Me because of that :whistle:
But the cover of my release is really ugly :laugh:
compare to

I'm always tempted to get it, but it's more because the original soundtrack is present :shrug:

snowcat

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »
Oh yeah, that's reasonable, Jimmy. In fact I have two copies of Wonder Boys. One is an ex-rental release framed at 4:3. But it was clearly supposed to a soft-matte widescreen to 1.85:1. Just typical really, they haven't bothered doing it properly for the rental. So I saw the retail version very cheap and grabbed it for the extras. Thing is, it is widescreen, but framed at 2.35:1! They lose most of the image, of course. So I have one for the film and one for the extras.

There are those on this very forum though, Jimmy, who buy DVDs again because of the covers!  :whistle:

:p

...Its not my fault the covers looked nicer!! :p

for example

and (I cant find the DVD version... but its the same as the soundtrack cover)

:p now which do you prefer!

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. Quite interesting.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.