Author Topic: Virtual PC Doctor? Get lost!  (Read 2172 times)

Najemikon

Virtual PC Doctor? Get lost!
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
Just had a lot of fun with a cold caller. She asked if I had a computer and used the Internet. She then said that I had infected, corrupted files.

I decided to play along. My role was 'Very Thick Computer User'...   :whistle: So for a good twenty minutes we had a conversation where I kept throwing lines in like, "which Internets corrupted my files? I have three!".

Then she directed me to a website. She asked me what I could see.

"Google", I replied.

She asked me to click on the address bar (took her a minute or so to help me find it) and type in www.virtualpcdoctor.com. Now what could I see, she asked.

"Google", I replied. Oh. I should have pressed 'enter'?  :devil:

Once on the website -which NoScript was blocking (I didn't tell her that)- she spent another five minutes patiently (again with the... :devil:) directing me to a button for 'Remote Support', which in turn had another: 'Connect to Technician'.

It was at this point I revealed who I was and that I'd very much enjoyed our conversation and I hoped she had as well, but that she could stick her [bleep] web-site up her [bleep]ing [bleep] till it made her eyes water.

In all seriousness, watch out for these people. I found another site discussing the various attempts these scammers have made: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1378625

You know what's really funny? It was a wrong number!  :dance: I get occasional cold calls for a "Mr. Chambers", who must have had this number before me. I usually let them waffle so I can find out who they are and tell them to remove me from their database.

I really hope this woman calls back. Please, please let her call back. I'll record it. I'll string her along for half an hour. I promise. Just let her call back!

:hysterical:

Najemikon

Re: Virtual PC Doctor? Get lost!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
Haha! Someone recorded them...  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:31 PM »
But the guy sound a lot like a technician, I would sure trust hin immediatly... Anyway how is it possible to not trust a guy with an occidental name like Mark? Of course if it was from an indian operation I wouldn't believe that Virtual PC Doctor is a worthy product, but it's american (common the guy is name Mark)...

The guy sounds very professional and it doesn't seem to read a script on a monitor...
Look how professional he is when he doesn't get angry at the guys because he doesn't want to install this highly secure cleaning tool on his computer.

;)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
Once on the website -which NoScript was blocking (I didn't tell her that)- she spent another five minutes patiently (again with the... :devil:)

Wow!, I just downloaded this for Firefox and cannot believe how much faster my browser is loading pages now. Sure, you have to do a little work on each new page you visit, but it's worth it.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:54:38 AM »
NoScript is awesome. Used it for ages now. Sites like Empire get complaints because of all the ads... never seen 'em!  :P Banners magically disappear, videos don't auto-load, Facebook never gets any of its silly apps through, and when you do visit a new site, you can instantly see all its cross-linking attempts.

One tip: when using a shopping or banking site, set it allow global for the duration. If one site refers to another to get authorisation and NoScript stops it, it can screw up the transaction.

But the guy sound a lot like a technician, I would sure trust hin immediatly... Anyway how is it possible to not trust a guy with an occidental name like Mark? Of course if it was from an indian operation I wouldn't believe that Virtual PC Doctor is a worthy product, but it's american (common the guy is name Mark)...

The guy sounds very professional and it doesn't seem to read a script on a monitor...
Look how professional he is when he doesn't get angry at the guys because he doesn't want to install this highly secure cleaning tool on his computer.

;)

Mine didn't get angry. Mainly because I had a rant at her.  :bash:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 01:21:13 AM »
Once on the website -which NoScript was blocking (I didn't tell her that)- she spent another five minutes patiently (again with the... :devil:)

Wow!, I just downloaded this for Firefox and cannot believe how much faster my browser is loading pages now. Sure, you have to do a little work on each new page you visit, but it's worth it.

For this function I'm using my firewall (Outpost)
Advantage: It's functionality is not limited to one browser but works with every program that accesses the Internet.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:42:09 AM »
Not really tried Outpost, but I'm the sort of person that doesn't like unnecessary processes and I found software firewalls did too much. I have a NATed router, so that's pretty much bullet-proof by design and NoScript is only running while I need it; ie, when my preferred browser is open. Nothing against sw firewalls in general, just horses for courses.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »
Oh, how nice of these people to call me at home to tell me about my computer problems...

The really sad thing is they are most certainly successful with some people. Which is mainly sad because those people are apparently not concerned about just how those people have had access to their computer in the first place to know about these problem :slaphead: I am fairly confident they'd be successful with my father as well :shrug:

Thanks for reporting this, Jon, it was a good laugh :thumbup:

I am using Safari now, as it cooperates with my iphone and iPad better. NoScript is the one and only function I had n FireFox that I am sorely missing. There is really nothing on Safari that even comes close.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:07:45 AM by Achim »

kahless

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 05:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the story, Jon!  :hysterical:

My personal recommendation to make Firefox a little bit safer is:

- NoScript
- Adblock Plus
- WOT (Web of Trust)

Software firewalls are in general ok if they are properly configured. Best software firewall is still Brain 1.0 and a proper configured system.  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »
Well that was different.  I hadn't heard of them just calling up people and trying to do stuff like that.
Sheesh.  And the sad thing is, there are a lot of people who will go for it.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
Quote from: kahless link=topic=6788.msg128225#msg128225 date=1287242169[quote
Best software firewall is still Brain 1.0

Since I can rely on my customers to use at it's best only an very early beta-version of Brain, I started experimenting with Outpost, simply because it's the only product I'm aware of that protects you from "AOS XP" (Advanced Own Stupidity Experts), provided it's configured correctly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:11:23 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:54:22 AM »
Just saw that one while checking what the visitors were watching and I had to listen it again :laugh:

I just realized I probably got some calls like this here too. It tooks almost 5 seconds before somebody talks and they talks in english (but here it's an african sccent). So it isn't hard to know it will be a scam and tell them to NSFBSK themselves as no one with one cell in his/her brain would call someone at Chicoutimi and speaks only in english (my city and the complete region around it is 100% french speaking :whistle:).

At least they can't scam anyone here :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
BTW anybody knows where is Jon? He haven't post in more than a month :shrug:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:48 AM »
BTW anybody knows where is Jon? He haven't post in more than a month :shrug:
I don't know, but I just checked yesterday myself. While he hasn't posted in over a month he was last logged in some time last week.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
Keep an air horn or crime whistle nearby at all times. The two seconds after using it are a lot more enjoyable than putting them on hold or hanging up.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.