Author Topic: Article on GoodFellas  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Article on GoodFellas
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:48:07 AM »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Article on GoodFellas
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:23:07 AM »
I saw it a couple of days ago and I'm glad Scorsese did it his way. I can't imagine the way one of my top 10 movie would have been destroyed if Tom Cruise have been cast and also Madonna :laugh:

Nothing against John Malkovich but him playing Jimmy Conway ::)

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:39:41 AM »
Ooh, nice! Thank you for that. Empire had a great interview with Henry Hill the other month. It made a nice follow-up to his commentary on the film and continued to prove truth is more potent than even Scorcese's telling of it.

Apparently a Goodfella's TV series is being planned. Awful idea and we already have it in The Sopranos.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 05:17:44 AM »
Excellent article. Makes me want to throw it in again and look for all the little nuances they spoke of.

Ooh, nice! Thank you for that. Empire had a great interview with Henry Hill the other month. It made a nice follow-up to his commentary on the film and continued to prove truth is more potent than even Scorcese's telling of it.

Apparently a Goodfella's TV series is being planned. Awful idea and we already have it in The Sopranos.

Are you talking about the new HBO series? It's called Boardwalk Empire, headlined by Steve Buscemi. David Chase and most of the Sopranos alumni attended an early screening of the series. While I doubt it will reach the heights The Sopranos achieved I know I'm going to wanna watch it.  :thumbup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979432/
Link to Boardwalk Empire

KC

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:11:29 AM »
It's been years since I saw Goodfellas.  I don't remember liking it at the time.  Though I really didn't want to watch it at that point either.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 06:58:20 AM »
 :o Are you serious? It's the best gangster film ever made... Everything is perfect in this film : great cast (the chemistry between Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta is something rarely see in a film), great script, excellent cinematography, naration use in the best possible way, brilliant musical choices, some scenes are done in a brilliant way (by exemple when the Steadicam follow Henry and Karen Hill during their complete trip through the nightclub kitchen or the wacking montage after the Lufthansa heist scored with Leyla by Derek and the Dominoes),...

Clearly one of the best american film ever made

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »
I was like 15 or 16 at the time.  And I don't really like gangster movies.
I've never seen The Godfather either....  :bag:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »
Ok I got it (you aren't supposed to watch movie like that at 15 :whistle:). But check it now and I'm sure you will agree with me ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 07:16:16 AM »
I think that is one that I have to be in the right mood for.  I might try it again someday.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
:o Are you serious? It's the best gangster film ever made...

Well... yes, I agree, but for The Godfather.  :thumbup:

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
Excellent article. Makes me want to throw it in again and look for all the little nuances they spoke of.

Are you talking about the new HBO series? It's called Boardwalk Empire, headlined by Steve Buscemi. David Chase and most of the Sopranos alumni attended an early screening of the series. While I doubt it will reach the heights The Sopranos achieved I know I'm going to wanna watch it.  :thumbup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979432/
Link to Boardwalk Empire

KC

I want to see that too. But no, I mean a brand new planned TV series of Goodfellas.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28995

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
Thanks for the link Jon. Personally I think Pileggi should leave it alone. 

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
I'm probably in the minority in this, but the attachment of big director names to HBO shows bothers me, be it Scorsese for "Boardwalk Empire" or Michael Mann in the case of David Milch's upcoming "Luck".
Matthias

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »
I saw the first episode of Boardwalk Empire and I wasn't impressed. It appeared to me that Scorsese was trying too hard to make a prohibition version of The Sopranos.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
:o Are you serious? It's the best gangster film ever made...

Well... yes, I agree, but for The Godfather.  :thumbup:
It isn't a bad one either, But I rank it after Goodfellas and The Godfather II.