Author Topic: Underrated Movies  (Read 5394 times)

Najemikon

Re: Underrated Movies
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »
I've just thought I 'didn't get it' because I am English, but whatever it is I hated this movie  :shrug:

Don't pull the English card! I carry one of those and it hasn't affected my enjoyment of this sublime film...

Goodguy, these threads as I understand them are all about reputation. Festival might as well be foreign. It can be neither under or overrated because not enough people know about it. It has to be rated something first!  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
I'm going for broke with this one...

Dukes of Hazard  :tomato:

It aims low, hits the target, and then gets slated for... aiming low. I don't get it. I adore Casablanca, Dances With Wolves is my favourite film and I'll sit and chat all day about Blade Runner. But sometimes, just every now and then, I want to see a film with stupid humour, fast cars and girls in short shorts. I get with Dukes, plus Willie Nelson slugging Burt Reynolds. Great stuff!

I see little difference between this and films like Porky's, yet that one seems to have a small amount of respect for being Animal House's grubby little cousin.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
Highwaymen - I was fortunate enough to catch this at the cinema then hunted down the DVD(damn you bilingual covers!!!)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
The Prisoner of Second Avenue - I love this movie yet I haven't found many people who have even heard of it. It's a Neil Simon comedy staring Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft.

m.cellophane

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 04:05:31 AM »
The Prisoner of Second Avenue - I love this movie yet I haven't found many people who have even heard of it. It's a Neil Simon comedy staring Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft.
I love Neil Simon and had forgotten about this one. Haven't seen it...in...years. Thanks for the reminder.  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 09:43:12 AM »
I've never seen it either, but I always enjoyed Barefoot in the Park. Is it similar? I'm sure that was Neil Simon too.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 05:33:52 AM »
  Domino (2005)

I seriously don't know wy this one flopped at the box office. It has plenty over the top action and violence, severed limbs (well, one), a half-nude Keira Knightley, and a killer soundtrack. It is also pretty clever in the way it deconstructs its own story-telling. I really liked the visual style, including the color manipulation and the rapid-fire editing. Clearly Tony Scott's best film.

Black Snake Moan (2007)

Now here Tarantino could learn a thing or two about re-inventing the exploitation film. BSM has all the goods of the genre, but uses them to create a serious drama with hightened reality. Outstanding performances by Ricci and Jackson.

Stardust (2007)

I usually don't like fantasy movies much, and that includes even LotR for most parts. But this isn't so much a fantasy movie as it is a fairy tale. It is poetic and simple and an absolute joy to watch. Probably the best thing since the "The Princess Bride".

Matthias