Author Topic: Clean Keyboard  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Clean Keyboard
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
My keyboard is now cleaner than it has been in a long time.  I spent a while cleaning it today..I even took all the keys offs to clean under them. 
Most of it was cat hair..few chip crumbs.  I try not to snack here that much.  I haven't spilled any drinks on it at least.

It seems like this one is a magnet for dust and cat hair.  Right after I had most of it clean, there were little bits of dust and crap on the keys again.  Then I got the vacuum, put this attachment thing on the hose that has a brush on it, and used that on the keyboard.  I'm thinking I'm going to do that more often in an attempt to keep all the stuff from accumulating under the keys.

Critter

Re: Clean Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »
I don't know how to take my keys off, but I have in the past used a clean paint brush, and also a vaccum to try get the dust out. It never seems to end.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:17 AM »
I have this flat staple puller thing that I used to sort of pry up the keys.  I didn't take off the space bar..I had an issue with the space bar not working right on an old keyboard when I took it off to clean. 

I've already noticed some specks of dust and a few cat hairs and stuff on this one.  Sheesh. 

I swear I think the keyboards are made of dust attracting stuff.

kahless

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »
Don't laugh, but the way we clean our users keybords when they are extremly contaminated (you won't believe what we find in the keyboards) is warm water, some dish liquid and a brush. Very soon after this procedure we let the keyboards dry overnight (or put them on the heating). So far all keyboards cleaned by our IT dpt. this way are still working!  

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility, so use this procedure only as an alternative of throwing away your keyboard!  ;D

EDIT: NEVER APPLY THIS ON LAPTOPS/NOTEBOOKS OR OTHER DEVICES WITH INTEGRATED KEYBOARDS!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:37:39 PM by kahless »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
I heard something last week I think it was about how tons of germs are spread through keyboards...and phones.  That doesn't surprise me.

I've tried to keep this one clean and it wasn't really gross, but it needed cleaning.  I'm going to try to keep it cleaner...at least that's the plan now.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
I heard something last week I think it was about how tons of germs are spread through keyboards...and phones.

Not to forget doorknobs ...  ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
That's true.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »
I have this flat staple puller thing that I used to sort of pry up the keys.  I didn't take off the space bar..I had an issue with the space bar not working right on an old keyboard when I took it off to clean.
...andweallknowhowmuchtroublethatcanbe :tease:

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
my laptop is only about 2 months old and is completely covered in cat hair.... I should really clean mine to

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
Mine is dire need of a good cleaning, maybe this thread was a wake up call.  :hmmmm:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
my laptop is only about 2 months old and is completely covered in cat hair.... I should really clean mine to
Do not apply kahless's cleaning tip on your laptop!!
Choose the dry cleaning here. Eventually (for the more stickier part) supported by Q-Tips and ultra-clean alcohol.

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
Invest in a can of compressed air which can blast rubbish out from under the keys.

As Achim has found to his cost ;), the space should be left alone. The large return key can be the same sort hooks.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
I remember watching someone testing a keyboard that was designed to be washed. It passed the test and worked perfectly after. Since I have a laptop I didn't write down the name of the product. I do think that is a wonderful idea though.

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Do not apply kahless's cleaning tip on your laptop!!
Choose the dry cleaning here. Eventually (for the more stickier part) supported by Q-Tips and ultra-clean alcohol.

Ill bare that in mind, thanks  :)