Author Topic: Grindhouse  (Read 6306 times)

lovemunkey187

Grindhouse
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Finally got around to watching Planet Terror last night.

Liked a lot.  Thought thta it was better than Death Proof, certainly got more repeat viewings in it for me.

Anyone else got an opinion?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Grindhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »
I went in with slightly too high expectations, which in return reduced the experience a little bit for me. I still liked it a lot, though.

For me, though, Death Proof and Planet Terror are on par. I enjoyed Tarantino's film just as much as I did Rodriguez'.

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
I think I enjoyed them both about the same but I agree, Planet Terror has more re-watchability.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »
The DVDs will be out soon in the UK and I'm really looking forward to catching up with them. But what's the deal with the original versions and the fake trailers? Are they included as extras somewhere?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »
The Machete trailer, which you may know parts of from the theatrical trailer, was included in the R1 DVD for Planet Terror; IIRC it was not just on the disc but even played as part of the feature. All the rest was missing (I don't know how much, as I didn't catch it at theaters, heck, I am not even sure it played in Taiwan at all). Rumor has it now, they were holding those back in order to give double dippers more incentives once the inevitable "Grindhouse" DVD is eventually released...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
I've not seen any of the 2 movie and I don't really have the intention to do it. Why someone want to see a copy without the good parts is beyond me. If I want to see an exploitation pictures, I just pick something who was really made in the seventies (Thriller : A cruel picture, Cannibal Holocaust, Last house on dead end street, ...) and forget about another stealing job by Tarantino.

:2cents:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »
Ignoring Jimmy's completely incorrect statment, :tease: ;), I just want to ask, is the inevitable Grindhouse edition as inevitable as the inevitable Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »
Why someone want to see a copy without the good parts is beyond me.
What you mean by this? "without the good parts"?

If I want to see an exploitation pictures, I just pick something who was really made in the seventies (Thriller : A cruel picture, Cannibal Holocaust, Last house on dead end street, ...) and forget about another stealing job by Tarantino.
I agree that picking up the originals is always a good thing to do. (I own "Thriller" too; still can't get myself to buy Cannical Holocaust, the animal thing, you know...). But a) "stealing is a form of flattery" (or something like that)   and Tarantino would be the first one to tell you to get the originals! It is meant as an homage, not as a copy, and for that these movies are great fun.

Now it's 4c ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
Ignoring Jimmy's completely incorrect statment, :tease: ;), I just want to ask, is the inevitable Grindhouse edition as inevitable as the inevitable Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?  :laugh:
:hysterical:

Well, I understand Kill Bill got a little lost when the Weinsteins sold the company, the rights and so on seem to hold up things (there once was a release date for it even and there is a proifle in the Invelos database even). At least those kind of problems shouldn't arise here.

I understyand if there's money to be made, the Weinstreins are usually among the first in line... We'll have to wait and see though :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
What you mean by this? "without the good parts"?
The fact that almost all those movies were made out of the studio system. Low budget, over the top violence (Bloodsucking Freaks), not shy to offend someone (Fight for your life) and the gratuitious nudity (Sex and fury). Another thing missing for the complete experience are the drunk guys in the theatre, but I don't count that as a good part  :laugh:

...still can't get myself to buy Cannical Holocaust, the animal thing, you know...).
The DVD release by Grindhouse Releasing have an Animal Cruelty-Free Version. Maybe a good compromise if you want to see it.

It is meant as an homage
If this is how all your movie are it's hard to call that homage, maybe overated and not original are better words.   

Najemikon

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 07:01:01 PM »
It is meant as an homage
If this is how all your movie are it's hard to call that homage, maybe overated and not original are better words.   

I can understand your point of view in regards Death Proof and Kill Bill. However in answer, I would say that he demonstrates great skill in simply pulling it together. In how it is presented, it is brilliant, underrated in the case of Kill Bill 2 at least, and very original. And behind all the tricks you know so well from other movies that he is apparently ripping off, is usually a screenplay that is far and away better than any of them. I haven't seen Death Proof yet, but I hear great things about the car chase in particular. Lots of films feature car chases. Are they all unoriginal for doing so? Of course not and, in fact, car chases are very hard to do right.

But that's not important right now. :P Your statement is broad so I assume you include Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown? Ridiculous! All three demonstrate very original and brilliant characteristics. For me the biggest attraction of a film directed by Tarantino is that it will be anything but conventional. I always enjoy how he finds screen-time for those you may have thought long lost: John Travolta, Pam Grier, Robert Forster and even Kurt Russell.

The man is a bloody genius and I can't wait for whatever he does next.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
The fact that almost all those movies were made out of the studio system. Low budget, over the top violence (Bloodsucking Freaks), not shy to offend someone (Fight for your life) and the gratuitious nudity (Sex and fury). Another thing missing for the complete experience are the drunk guys in the theatre, but I don't count that as a good part  :laugh:
O.k., I understand...

Grindhouse is in parts also trying to recreate that, but obviously it will not be the same as it was before...

The DVD release by Grindhouse Releasing have an Animal Cruelty-Free Version. Maybe a good compromise if you want to see it.
That one seems sold out at DVD Empire, but DeepDiscount still seems to still have a few. Well, I'm not sure, as it's in the movie and I would just "seamless branch" over it still might make it odd. It is a film talked about and referenced a lot, so maybe I should just get over it and be done with it (meaning: order, watch, decide for myself). I've put ot on teh Wish List, labeled "Vague Interest".

I haven't seen Death Proof yet, but I hear great things about the car chase in particular. Lots of films feature car chases. Are they all unoriginal for doing so? Of course not and, in fact, car chases are very hard to do right.
If you like car chase, you're in for a treat. ...and as Zoë Bell is actually a stunt woman it was all done on camera!

The man is a bloody genius and I can't wait for whatever he does next.
Same here :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:19:22 PM by ya_shin »

lovemunkey187

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
I've got the R3HK releases of Death Proof and Planet Terror. I've not watched DP yet, but I missed PT when it was at the cinema so wanted to watch that more.

The Machete trailer is included in the feature presentation on my version as well.  That'd make quite a cool film in it's own right.

Does anyone know where I can see the other "trailers"?

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
If you like car chase, you're in for a treat. ...and as Zoë Bell is actually a stunt woman it was all done on camera!

Good news! Ta. I watched the original Gone in 60 Seconds the other night. Ropey as heck, but that final 40 minutes is just...  :o and with a great ending.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 07:36:13 PM »
I watched the original Gone in 60 Seconds the other night. Ropey as heck, but that final 40 minutes is just...  :o and with a great ending.
Another one for the Wish List 8)