Author Topic: DVD MIA  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
DVD MIA
« on: July 31, 2010, 01:29:56 AM »
There used to be a website called DVDJournal and one of the pages was titled DVD MIA. It basically was a listing of films that still hadn't found their way onto DVD yet. I thought this thread would be a good place for members to list the films they thought deserved to be released on disc.

Homebodies (1974) - Thriller about a group of senior citizens who are being evicted because their apartment building is to be torn down and replaced with high rent apartments. They decide to take matters into their own hands and defend their homes at all cost, including murder.

The Flim-Flam Man (1967) -  Forgotten gem starring George C. Scott as Mordecai Jones, a southern con man who wreaks havoc on one small town in the course of a few days.

hal9g

Re: DVD MIA
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:31:03 AM »
None But the Lonely Heart - This 1944 movie is a masterpiece of black and white photography by Director Clifford Odets. The subtlety of background lighting and the shadow effects in the street scenes are magic. There are moments of sheer brilliance with Cary Grant as the independent unorthodox Cockney son Ernie Mott, who comes home and decides to run the secondhand furniture shop and care for his sick mother, Ethel Barrymore. Jane Wyman, makes money playing the cello and patiently loves Ernie from across the street. Mott has 'perfect pitch' and can tune pianos and does odd jobs. Grant brings this quirky character to life and makes us love him. Ernie is a combination of dark brooding and sanguine pathos. All the actors are excellent and bring the poetic language of the script to life. June Duprez as Ernie's girlfriend Ada is riveting. Barry Fitzgerald as genial family friend Henry Twite is special. Even the Dog called Nipper stole every scene.

Once Upon a Honeymoon - 1942 - At the start of WWII, Katie O'Hara, an American burlesque girl intent on social climbing, marries Austrian Baron Von Luber. Pat O'Toole, an American radio reporter, sees this as a chance to investigate Von Luber, who is suspected of having Nazi ties. As country after country falls to the Nazis, O'Tool follows O'Hara across Europe. At first he is after a story, but he gradually falls in love with her. When she learns that her husband is indeed a Nazi, O'Hara fakes her death and runs off with O'Toole. In Paris, she is recruited to spy for the allies; he uses a radio broadcast to make Von Luber and the Nazis look like fools.

Saratoga Trunk - 1945 - An opportunistic Texas gambler and the exiled Creole daughter of an aristocratic family join forces to achieve justice from the society that has ostracized them.  Starring Ingrid Bergman

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:42:29 AM »
Tough Guys (1986) Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach.  Comedy about two crooks who get out of jail as old men after 30 years for robbing a train... and then decide to do it again.  :laugh:

Damnation Alley (1977) George Peppard, Jan Michael Vincent and a young Jackie Earle Haley. Sci-Fi about a post-apocalyptic world.

Yeesh, don't get me started.... this could end up being a long thread!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »
Damnation Alley (1977) George Peppard, Jan Michael Vincent and a young Jackie Earle Haley. Sci-Fi about a post-apocalyptic world.
I have always been interested in this one. Maybe it was you I briefly talked to about this one at InterVocative...?

I remember it had been announced my Anchor Bay at the time, but that obviously fell through.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »
I know there was something I was hoping to find on DVD once that didn't seem to have ever been released, but I can't remember what it was now.  Though if you could tv shows, there are seasons of several shows I'm hoping for.

I do know there are some that were released at one time, but are no longer available.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »

Homebodies (1974) - Thriller about a group of senior citizens who are being evicted because their apartment building is to be torn down and replaced with high rent apartments. They decide to take matters into their own hands and defend their homes at all cost, including murder.

Wow, I was only thinking about this the other day. I saw it years ago and I'd like to again.

It probably isn't really any good, but my mum told me about Dark Night of the Scarecrow (didn't even know the title until an extensive search of the plot). It seems to be well regarded by horror fans though and their dedication may have paid off: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Night-Scarecrow-Charles-Durning/dp/B003JIPN20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280557807&sr=8-1

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
Tough Guys (1986) Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Eli Wallach.  Comedy about two crooks who get out of jail as old men after 30 years for robbing a train... and then decide to do it again.  :laugh:

Go multi-region! I have the UK release from Buena Vista ;D

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 03:41:44 PM »
I have always been interested in this one. Maybe it was you I briefly talked to about this one at InterVocative...?

I remember it had been announced my Anchor Bay at the time, but that obviously fell through.

I have talked about the movie on my own forum where we had a thread similar to this going but never in any of the DVDP forums. I remember watching the movie as a very young kid and the cockroach scene horrified me!  :o

Go multi-region! I have the UK release from Buena Vista ;D

I may have to resort to that if I ever hope to complete my Burt Lancaster collection. I sent a message to Touchstone Pictures asking/demanding/begging for them to release Tough Guys to which I never got a reply.  :weep: 

Now Warner and MGM have released their Archives which has got me  :drooling:  Trapeze with Burt Lancaster and The Deadly Tower with Kurt Russell are ones I definitely want to add to my collection but what's this? They don't ship to Canada!!  Crazy!   :stars:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
They don't ship to Canada!!  Crazy!   :stars:

If there is anything you really want I would be happy to have you send it to me and I would re-package it and send it to you. It would cost more which doesn't seem right but at least you have an option to get something if you want it.

hal9g

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »
I know there was something I was hoping to find on DVD once that didn't seem to have ever been released, but I can't remember what it was now.  Though if you could tv shows, there are seasons of several shows I'm hoping for.

I do know there are some that were released at one time, but are no longer available.

How about Earth: Final Conflict.

Season 1, 3, 4 and 5 have been released, but not 2!   :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:24:29 PM by Hal »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
They don't ship to Canada!!  Crazy!   :stars:

If there is anything you really want I would be happy to have you send it to me and I would re-package it and send it to you. It would cost more which doesn't seem right but at least you have an option to get something if you want it.

That's very nice of you Kathy... thank you!  Once I get some time I'll look into the logistics of it and get back to you.   :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
It probably isn't really any good, but my mum told me about Dark Night of the Scarecrow (didn't even know the title until an extensive search of the plot).
If you would have check my last pre-order post you would have known it isn't missing in action anymore :tease:

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
Oh yeah! I saw everything but... :laugh:

Touti

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
If TV DVD MIA is allowed I think "Boston Public" should be mentioned.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
Just some title I can think of...

Seen the trailer but the film isn't on dvd
The Long Swift Sword of Siegfried (1971)
The Lustful Turk (1968)
The Fabulous Bastard from Chicago (1969)
Starlet! (1969)
The Pick-Up (1968)
The Animal (1968)
Together (1971)

On dvd but incomplete
Score (1974)
The Private Afternoons of Pamela Mann (1974)
Naked Came the Stranger (1975)
Obsessed (1977)
Après-ski (1971)

Not on DVD
Dynamite (1972)
It Happened in Hollywood (1973)
The Fireworks Woman (1975)
Love-in 1973 (1971)
Legacy of Satan (1974)
The Lovemakers (1972)
The Soldier's Wife (1971)
The Gong Show Movie (1980)
Death Weekend (1976)
Le viol d'une jeune fille douce (1968)
Le diable est parmis nous (1972)
Kid Sentiment (1968), I'm probably one of the few French Canadian who really love this film :laugh:
Red (1970)
Les chiens chauds (1980)
Gina (1975)
Misty (1976)
Not Just Another Woman (1974)
Illusions of a Lady (1974)
Lickity-Split (1974)
The Divine Obsession (1976)

I could go one and on, but that give you an idea of what I like to see on dvd.