Author Topic: Aviation safety  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Aviation safety
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone here is aware of what happened in a Buffalo suburb on in February 2009. Continental Flight 3407 crashed in Clarence Center that day destroying a house killing 49 passengers on the plane, 1 in the house and devastating the community.

The circumstances surrounding the causes of that crash were tragic and preventable. It was the impetus to the development of a coalition being formed to try and prevent this from ever happening again.

The result of all this hard work is that a historic bill is being put into law that will be the strongest aviation safety legislation in decades.

I am so proud of our community for pressing forward to bring this law to fruition. They battled many powerful, wealthy and influential forces that wanted to keep the status quo.

Continental Flight 3407 family members can rejoice that through the sacrifice of their loved ones they helped make the skies safer for you and me.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Aviation safety
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »
:thumbsup:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
 :clap:

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Thats awesome Kathy, Im saw I saw something about that on one of those air crash investigation programs on the discovery channel... I may be mixing it up with something similar though. but! thats great news!!

kahless

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
Great news, Kathy!

If you are interested in aviation safety and/or aviation related accidents, I would recommend these sites:

www.aviation-safety.net
www.airdisaster.com

The most interesting parts are the CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) transscripts!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
I am flying soon, so I am better not touching any of those links :laugh:

kahless

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »
I am flying soon, so I am better not touching any of those links :laugh:

I'm flying in average max. about 2-3 times a year (mostly Lufthansa, SAS and Wideroe) but I never bothered about possible accidents. I'm living in Hamburg and the most challenging/dangerous part is the way to the airport!  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:01:10 AM »
Well, yes. I was joking, of course. I am not overly nervous about flying, really. If my time has come and I should be in a plane then chances are it will be over quick. Although that last few minutes might involve kicking and screaming :hysterical:

(click to show/hide)

kahless

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
I see!  ;D

There are still many frequent flyer worldwide who are still scared.