Author Topic: Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games  (Read 6904 times)

Critter

Vegetarians/ Vegans/ Video Games
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
Now firstly, I do apologise if we have had a thread like this before. I did search around for a while but I couldn't find anything like it. I just realised that I didn't know if any other members of this forum were vegetarian.

I myself have been vegetarian for about 4 years now and love it. I am not vegan, and I'm not sure if I ever will be but there are some things I don't have. For example, I only drink soy milk and I have vegetarian cheese (free of animal rennent). Aside from that though I eat most dairy still. Back to the point.... if there were any other veggo's here I would love to exchange recipes etc.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:15:23 PM by Critter »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarians/ Vegans
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »
I don't mind eating meat-free, but I am not vegetarian, let alone vegan.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:33:28 PM by Achim »

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
Sorry, I love meat too much to give it up. I'd rather die than give up my sunday steak.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
I haven't eaten meat since 1995. I still eat animal products such as eggs, ice cream or cheese (I hate milk). I just don't eat things that need to be killed for my enjoyment.

I don't miss it at all except for the occasional holiday when homemade kielbasa is cooking. Smells from my childhood still stir the occasional craving.

I don't feel deprived because I use use a lot of meat substitutes, such as tofu, to make the occasional burger. I've always liked tons of stuff on it anyway (lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, peppers, onion, ketchup, mustard, pickles) that I could barely taste the burger anyway!

I eat a lot of rice and bean dishes, pasta, casseroles and soups. Ever since I was little, I never met a fruit or vegetable I didn't like. I ate meat when I was younger but never frequently or large amounts. I always preferred to eat the other things on my plate.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm glad to hear of another like-minded vegetarian here. I hate milk as well, I drink soy milk very rarley, some people think I avoid real milk for the vegetarian reasons but really... I just find it gross  :P.

Turning vegetarian for me was also very easy. I had a lot of vegetarian friends so for years beforehand I had already gotten used to a lot of veggo food. I was buying tofu and veggie sausages for a long time before I actually turned so the transition was simple.

I don't miss meat at all, like you I do have the small occaisional holiday craving of lobster (which pre-vegetarian was a favourite of mine) but in the end, I'm not exactly dying without it.

I made my first homemade hommus today ;D. Up until now I have always bought the store-bought hommus, I don't know why it took me so long to make my own, it's such a great food. More than just a dip... I have it with everything.

Sorry, I love meat too much to give it up. I'd rather die than give up my sunday steak.

:laugh: A bit drastic, although I have known some other meat-eaters in the past who think quite in the same way.  ::)

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

:laugh: A bit drastic, although I have known some other meat-eaters in the past who think quite in the same way.  ::)

Yeah I know. I mean, I don't mind if people around me become vegetarian, or even vegan. It's their choice, I respect it. I just expect the same understanding from them. I choose to eat meat, respect my choice.

I even don't mind being invited for dinner by vegetarian. I actually find vegetarian food interesting most of the time (tofu does gross me out though.. I may just have never ate it prepared well though). I will even take into consideration the vegetarian preferences of potential invitees.

But, I love meat, I've always loved meat and nothing will ever make me give it up. Life's too short for that.
(click to show/hide)

Critter

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
Yeah I know. I mean, I don't mind if people around me become vegetarian, or even vegan. It's their choice, I respect it. I just expect the same understanding from them. I choose to eat meat, respect my choice.

That's perfectly understandable and I hope you don't get the wrong idea from this thread. I myself live in a household of meat eaters and am the only vegetarian in my family (I do have some veg friends though). I'm certainly not the type to parade around meat eaters trying to convert everyone and telling them they shouldn't eat meat. And to be honest those types of vegetarians annoy me as well. The most I will do is occaisionally try and persuade people to try and buy organic and free range meat products if it is possible. Aside from that I always respect peoples decision to eat meat. It's always down to personal choice, I may not agree with it myself but hell, I'm not the other person.

kahless

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
I have to confess that I can't abstain from my steaks but I have a big respect for Vegetarians/Vegans (as long as they don't feed their cats meatless! They need special Amino acids and arachidonic acids what is only available in meat)!

Critter

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »
I have to confess that I can't abstain from my steaks but I have a big respect for Vegetarians/Vegans (as long as they don't feed their cats meatless! They need special Amino acids and arachidonic acids what is only available in meat)!

To me this is very wrong. I was once on a forum for vegetarians/vegans and there was a whole thread about people who feed their pets, mainly cats and dogs on vegan diets.  :slaphead:

These people amaze me, there is scientific evidence that humans have bodies designed to live off both a meat eating diet, and omnivore diet, or a vegetarian one. All animals are not like us! Their bodies need certain foods to work and some close-minded vegans can't seem to see this. And anyway... any animal that has teeth like a dog is NOT designed to eat a vegetarian diet.

kahless

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:16:55 PM »

To me this is very wrong. I was once on a forum for vegetarians/vegans and there was a whole thread about people who feed their pets, mainly cats and dogs on vegan diets.  :slaphead:

These people amaze me, there is scientific evidence that humans have bodies designed to live off both a meat eating diet, and omnivore diet, or a vegetarian one. All animals are not like us! Their bodies need certain foods to work and some close-minded vegans can't seem to see this. And anyway... any animal that has teeth like a dog is NOT designed to eat a vegetarian diet.

Agree! I have my knowledge from different vets here and from the German Animal Protection Association. Their explanations seem to be plausible.  Anyway: it's unjustifiable to make vegetarien experiments with animals!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:23:15 PM by kahless »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »
I am afraid I love my meat as well. I don't think I could ever give that up.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
Cats and dogs need meat. Ideally they should be fed raw meat daily. It is better for them, decreases the amounts of food required and decreases the amount and number of stools (I especially like that last part!). I would like to do that for them but when I tried I just couldn't stand looking at, smelling and touching the raw meat. So, its a high protein dry cat or dog food for them...and more crap to clean up!

I don't care what others eat - I'm the only person in my family who doesn't eat meat. When I go to parties I always bring a huge vegetable tray filled with everything you can think of (meatless of course) so I always can eat that no matter what is served. Of course, my salad has become so popular I've had to make it even bigger so there is enough for me too!

Touti

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
I stick to what nature made me, carnivorous.  If it had wanted it any other way I would be walking on 4 legs and wouldn't have to use any of them to feed myself.  :tomato:  :surrender:

RossRoy

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »
I stick to what nature made me, carnivorous.  If it had wanted it any other way I would be walking on 4 legs and wouldn't have to use any of them to feed myself.  :tomato:  :surrender:

Sounds like one of my colleagues - he keeps saying
If Nature wanted me to run, she'd have given me 4 legs and a tail
That's a liberal translation from french - original is "Si la nature voulait que je coure, elle m'aurait donné 4 pattes et une queue dans le cul"

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
I'll give you one guess as to my status...

(click to show/hide)