Author Topic: Opinions?!?!  (Read 1766 times)

lovemunkey187

Opinions?!?!
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7176095.stm

I don't know whether this is going to help or hinder their cause.  All I know is that it is really f >:( g me off, having to wait eben longer for stuff.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Opinions?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
Since I don't really care for neither Globes nor Oscars it's not important to me.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

lovemunkey187

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Since I don't really care for neither Globes nor Oscars it's not important to me.

Agreed, the awards are not a big thing for me either.

But it's the disruption to filming schedules that does bother me.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
Ok, that's true and I am sincerely concerned about the survival of several of my favourite TV shows...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »
What really worries me is the fact that the studios seem so unconcerned with the whole thing... they seem to think all is fine as they can put on reality programing to get them through. Now there is several reality shows that I do enjoy... but I want my favorite scripted series back... and I am also starting to get concerned about them.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »
What really worries me is the fact that the studios seem so unconcerned with the whole thing... they seem to think all is fine as they can put on reality programing to get them through.

And that, unfortunately, is where the WGA is doing itself a disservice IMO. I agree with with their points and what they are trying to achieve, but they chose a moment in time where reality TV is very popular (way too much IMO, I completely despise TV reality shows) and so the studios can just keep putting reality shows on air with little to no effect on ratings unfortunately.

Now, at the same time, it could work in the WGA's favor too. If the studios end putting too much reality TV out there, maybe people will get fed up with it and reality will disappear from the air (that's wishful thinking on my part! ;))

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:27:05 PM »
I have two DVRs, each capable of recording 2 shows. Typically I would have a choice of about 5 shows on either to watch this time of year. Right now I have zero on one and 2 half hour sit-coms on the other.   :-\

This chart seems to be pretty accurate. It looks pretty bleak if you ask me.

According to this article which quotes results of a meeting last night the Oscars will be affected as well. That one will be a big blow to the network(s) hosting it if it doesn't air. ABC here in the states but I believe it is a world wide broadcast. And I really was going to be prepared this year for the annual online oscar party I attend... honest James, I was  :bag: :tease:  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »
I enjoy the Oscars and although it's unnecessary overall, I think the attention that it brings to films is important. I'm a bit cynical about studios and I can't help thinking that they may be less willing to bankroll perceived worthy films if the ceremony that advertises them for 4 hours takes a nosedive. Scary Movie 6 is a sure thing...  :2cents:

But what's far more important is just getting the bloody useless lot of them working again. The repercussions from this don't bear thinking about!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 03:21:54 AM »
If this goes on for a while still, then I guess next Christmas may be an interesting time at the cinemas too...  :fingerchew:

I guess the summer will stil be fine, though. Most of those films should be in post production by now...