Author Topic: Last Standing  (Read 48167 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Last Standing
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »
Critter, lovemunkey187 and klanderson have not submitted answers for Round 6

Alien Redrum

« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
:heat:

I was concerned about that one! And it would have been very depressing to miss out on a question relating to one of my favourite films, especially if I were to be undone by a reference to the crappy remake. :redcard:

I think both were based on a book.

That's as may be but only one of them got it right! :)

That I will not argue. Robert Shaw >>>> then anyone in the 2009 version.

lyonsden5

« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Achim, Dragonfire and Rick are correct

Hal and Halo2 are incorrect
:o

I guess the hint did work then.  ;)  :yahoo:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »
:heat:

I was concerned about that one! And it would have been very depressing to miss out on a question relating to one of my favourite films, especially if I were to be undone by a reference to the crappy remake. :redcard:

I think both were based on a book.

That's as may be but only one of them got it right! :)

That I will not argue. Robert Shaw >>>> then anyone in the 2009 version.

I remember Jon stating in one of our discussions about the worth of QT, how he resurrected the career of John Travolta. Looking back now at some of the performances he's given since Pulp Fiction, I wonder if Jon would like to post a retraction?  :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
I remember Jon stating in one of our discussions about the worth of QT, how he resurrected the career of John Travolta. Looking back now at some of the performances he's given since Pulp Fiction, I wonder if Jon would like to post a retraction?  :hmmmm:
He can resurrect a career (Travolta had a few decent roles after Pulp Fiction) but he cannot perform miracles. If Travolta chooses crap to be in is beyond QT's influence. He can hardly but JT in all of h9is films.

Besides, regardless of what one thinks of his films, I find that actors seem to go the extra mile for him, enabling him to always get the best out of the people working for him.

Najemikon

« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
 :goodpost:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »
Regardless how I feel about Tarantino, I won't ever dispute that he has resurrected a few careers, or at least brought much needed attention to an actor who deserved it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
I remember Jon stating in one of our discussions about the worth of QT, how he resurrected the career of John Travolta. Looking back now at some of the performances he's given since Pulp Fiction, I wonder if Jon would like to post a retraction?  :hmmmm:
He can resurrect a career (Travolta had a few decent roles after Pulp Fiction) but he cannot perform miracles. If Travolta chooses crap to be in is beyond QT's influence. He can hardly but JT in all of h9is films.

Besides, regardless of what one thinks of his films, I find that actors seem to go the extra mile for him, enabling him to always get the best out of the people working for him.

:goodpost:

Please sing to the tune of the Batman theme from the 60's...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
I won't ever dispute that he has resurrected a few careers, or at least brought much needed attention to an actor who deserved it.
Complete fanboys crap. Not you personally, but the people who believe that...
Those actors were always working before he used them in his "movie" and he didn't used them to help them but because they cost less.

It's unbelievable the kind of comment his fanboys do sometimes. Someday one of them will certainly say that he is the most original director who had ever made a movie...

Najemikon

« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
I won't ever dispute that he has resurrected a few careers, or at least brought much needed attention to an actor who deserved it.
Complete fanboys crap. Not you personally, but the people who believe that...
Those actors were always working before he used them in his "movie" and he didn't used them to help them but because they cost less.

It's unbelievable the kind of comment his fanboys do sometimes. Someday one of them will certainly say that he is the most original director who had ever made a movie...

Yeah, because Robert Forster was such an a-list mega-star before Jackie Brown, eh?  ::) And that Sam Jackson bloke... unheard of since Pulp Fiction. You're absolutely right about Travolta. He can barely make ends meet.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
OK guys, let's all take a deep breath now and end it with a group hug.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
Yeah, because Robert Forster was such an a-list mega-star before Jackie Brown, eh?  ::) And that Sam Jackson bloke... unheard of since Pulp Fiction. You're absolutely right about Travolta. He can barely make ends meet.
Jon I don't think I will waste my time on that... A-list isn't the only important thing in the world, this is just an Hollywood fantasy thing. 99.9999% of all the working actors are "working actors" not letters, but if the fantasy that Tarentino help actors and not used them please you go for it it's your right to believe that...

Exploitation films are my speciality but of course I'm probably full of shit when I talk about what I know ::)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
 :offtopic:

Najemikon

« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »
Antares, as the Cleveland R2-D2 said to the Chris Griffin Luke Skywalker in Family Guy's Something Something Something Dark Side... "This is happenin'. Make your peace with it."  :laugh:

Jimmy, of course you don't talk shit, but you do have a romanticized view of what must be the toughest genre for an actor. The films you like cost peanuts to make, right? And there's no money for big scale marketing, so they never bother multiplex crowds. Somewhere in the mix are old-time talented guys like Forster hoping to even get paid and just signing up for everything so they can make the rent. The success they have had following any big-time Hollywood release, not just a Tarantino film, gives them a choice. That's all.

Jackie Brown was one of Forster's best roles. At his age, leading an international film? That's huge.

I've mentioned before, but I like the feature on Death Proof showing Zoe Bell preparing for her role playing herself. I'd never heard of her before, now I see her name cropping up in all sorts of places, working the stunts or even acting. She was always going to work. Now, after even a relative flop like Death Proof, she has that choice. Where, when and how. That's worth something.

snowcat

« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
Soooo...... I hope the next question is about a film I have seen.... I had to admit im surprised I have done so well so far!

* desperately tries to shift back on topic*