Author Topic: Tim Burton Exhibition  (Read 858 times)

Critter

Tim Burton Exhibition
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:54:59 AM »
So yesterday I spent the day in Melbourne and visited the Tim Burton exhibition which was absolutely amazing. I went in a group of four consisting of my sister, my friend, my friends sister and then me and we all loved it. The exhibition actually had it's red carpet opening the night before but we went the day after which was essentially it's first day of being open to the public.

The exhibition proved how popular Burton is here. He had a book signing at 8 in the morning which my group didn't attend but we heard that some people were arriving at as early as 1am in the morning to get a position in the line. The exhibition itself was fantastic, we spent over 2 hours there despite the fact that it was only spread out through 2 large rooms. It contained hundreds of Burtons original sketches, some of which were way back from his time at school, as well as paintings, sculptures, costumes, props, animation tests he did at Disney etc etc. It also had one section that was completely blacked out and all glow in the dark which was a lot of fun to walk through as all our clothes started to glow.

Clips from his films as well as some of his short films in the full were being shown on different screens throughout the buildings. Some of which I have never seen before like his short version of Hansel and Gretel.

Being the opening day Burton was to hold what they called a 'Masterclass' that night hosted by Australia's Margaret Pomeranz of the Australian At the Movies. While it was called a Masterclass this was essentially an extended interview with Burton that allowed a certain number of audience to attend. Some of the audience also got to ask him questions at the end. This class sold out within 24 hours and many others wanted to view it so due to popular demand they aired it live on the big screen outside while it was happening on a room inside.

It was a such a fantastic atmosphere, thousands of people were literally sitting outside on the cold hard paved ground, uncomfortable and freezing cold for close to two hours just to watch this interview. We were all in a bit of pain from how uncomfortable it was and most of us were shivering but hardly anyone of the whole crowd left for the entire 2hour+ interview. Burton also mentioned all of us outside in the cold at one point which led to cheers and clapping from the crowd.

Overall it was a fantastic day, my friends did take some photos (although photos weren't allowed inside the actual exhibition) so hopefully I will be able to get them and post some soon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:02:44 AM by Critter »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Tim Burton Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:05:47 AM »
That does sound really interesting.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:01 AM »
I just found this video of the batmobile arriving for the exhibition and them getting it into place.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:23:14 AM by Critter »

Critter

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
So I found some photos (not my own) of the Masterclass I spoke of where all us dedicated fans sat outside freezing our arses off to watch the film.

And yes, that is a giant floating/glowing ball hovering above us. It is an art piece placed there in the winter to try give the square a warmer feeling. And while it may look warm with that lovely orange and ever morphing glow, it unfortunatly doesn't actually provide any heat.