Author Topic: If it isn't one thing.... it's another  (Read 10877 times)

kahless

Re: If it isn't one thing.... it's another
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
Oh - I'm not really a medical person. Many years ago (1986), the army forced me to join medical trainings as a reservist. My complete practice was only some reserve duty (do you say so?) with rouged victims!  :-[

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
And yes...I would have been interested in seeing it fresh. Hey...what can I say...I'm a nurse and we like this stuff! ;D
I know all about it, my friend is a surgeon...

He used to do paperwork at home, occasionally exposing me to some of the picture taken from specimen they had removed from the victim's patient's body. He also used to tells me stories of what had happened, but eventually realized that non-medical people might not appreciate it as much. The worst stories came during the residency time when he was placed in the ER.

We love watching horror films and he appreciates realistically done wounds a lot.

RossRoy

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »
My cousin is like. She's head nurse of the evening shift at her hospital level and the story she tells me! But I'm stronger than I thought! Only once have I had to tell her to shut up because I was about to throw up  :laugh:

Most of the time though, she tells the funny stuff instead of the disgusting ones.

kahless

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »
I remember some storys from our master sergeant during our training. He was a paramedic in Cambodia and told us about injuries from local people who used their feet to brake their motor scooter! We saw some photos of the feet...I'll never forget!

MEJHarrison

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
I love that there's another medical person here.

I'm a medical person! Well, I work for the health insurance company, but that's kind of close.  Still, we diagnose people and tell them to suck it up, they don't really need to see a doctor. :laugh:

Actually when I started here they told me something funny.  We're a small part of the larger hospital system.  I was told that the other side of the business tries to keep people as long as they can and run every test they can while we try to get them out of the hospital as soon as we can and as cheaply as we can. Somehow the two sides of the business manage to work together.

In all seriousness, we're extremely highly rated and non-profit.  So we're not really one of the "bad" insurance companies.  Or at least one of the better ones.

Prior to this job I worked with a doctor that developed online health risk assessment tests, online medical records and stuff like that.  They're now owned by WebMD.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »
I love it - another health professional! I know that you here bad stories about health insurance companies but that has not been my experience. Of course you hear horror stories about doctors or nurses too for that matter. There's good and bad in everything but as long as people work together in the health care system, things generally work out well. The real problem?...lawyers!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
Over a year later... and I have to revive this thread!

Same brother! This time he got injured at work. Separated his shoulder. Yup you guessed it... Same arm!
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Same brother! This time he got injured at work. Separated his shoulder. Yup you guessed it... Same arm!
:slaphead:

But most important: did he agree to see a doctor right away...? Is the shoulder fixed yet?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
In this case he saw a doctor right away... and I don't know much about separated shoulders... but it must be pretty bad... as they are going to schedule him for surgery for it!

Here I thought it would be something similar to dislocated. But apparently not.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
Thank goodness it happened at work and he actually took care of it. Surgery is not gong to make him very happy but at least he is being taken care of. I wish him all the best Pete - let us know how it goes.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
Will do Kathy... The last I heard they were going to schedule him for surgery. Not sure when he will get it though. I would imagine they wouldn't wait too long.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2011, 06:05:06 AM »
I would hope too, that he won't have to wait too long. I wonder what the difference between disloaction and separation are... :hmmmm:, but since there are it seems more painful. All the Best Wishes to him.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
It's good that he went to see about it..surgery is never fun, but it needs to be taken care of.
I don't know what a separated shoulder is either.

kahless

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
That sounds really painful.  :fingerchew:

Best wishes from here!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
I don't know what a separated shoulder is either.
So let's have a look :thumbsup:

Wikipedia
Mayo Clinic

WebMD explains the difference a little bit. (Didn't help me much, but they insist it's different.)