Author Topic: Non-DVD Gulity Pleasures  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Non-DVD Gulity Pleasures
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:04 AM »
Me too. I liked all of the heavy dry red wines for years but have lately drifted toward ports and sweet whites, like Gewürztraminers and Rieslings.

Back in 1993 my wife and I were living in Orlando and we decided to go to the Miami Wine Festival, it's now called the South Beach Wine Expo. The first night was the grand tasting and there were over 200 different vineyards there from around the world. So I'm walking around tasting many different varietals and I noticed this one German vineyard that no one was going to.

I sauntered over and asked them about their wines and he explains to me that his vineyard makes Trockenbeerenauslese's, and would I like to try them. The minute he mentioned the wine's name, I started salivating like Pavlov's dog. I wound up talking to him for close to 30 minutes, and during that time not one person who walked up was willing to try it. The usual pseudo wine snobs who were too incompetent to know about TBA's and wouldn't touch dessert wines with a ten foot pole.

So I kept on with my conversation and he kept pouring that golden nectar. I was in wine lover's heaven.

For those who don't know, Trockenbeerenauslese is the best dessert wine variety on the planet. It almost pours like thin syrup and is akin to a taste bud orgasm in your mouth. Standard pricing for a 375 ml bottle is between $500 & $1000.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:52:32 AM by Antares »