Author Topic: Cinema Etiquette  (Read 5320 times)

Critter

Re: Cinema Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »
It's great to see so many people are with me on this one. I was feeling a bit down when my friend had a go at me over such a simple issue, I assumed that it was just common courtesy not to use your phone in a cinema but it seems 'common courtesy' is not around much these days.

I do like your idea Jon, but I needed to get a lift home from the film with at least one of these people, much to my delight I got to go hom with the good, non-texting one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:14 AM »
I almost forgot about this...about a year ago I went to a movie with mom and stepdad.  About 10 or 12 teenagers came in together..giggling and carrying on when they got there.  They were running in and out of the theater and one of them kept trying to convince them all to sneak into Drag Me to Hell.  I wish they would have gone.  Anyway, all during the movie they were texting each other.  It was nuts.  My mom said something to the one manager when we were leaving and he gave us passes and said to get him when that happens and he'll make it stop.

I went to a movie this evening and a bunch of them were texting and crap before the movie started, but they stopped once the movie started thankfully.  But on the way out, I saw one of the girls walking out of the bathroom texting.  If a person can't even go to the bathroom without texting or updating their status on Facebook or Twitter or whatever she was doing, then something is wrong.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
I have no interest in texting or even getting a cell phone. My mother gave me a cell phone and I never touched it. I keep it just in case I need to call 911 but other than that, nothing is that important that it can't wait.

I know a friend of mines daughter texts tens of thousands of time a month. WTF?!? If she were my child the phone would be tossed and she would find better use of that wasted time.

kahless

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
My daughter (14) is using her cell phone only to play mp3. I'm not sure, if she knows that she can use it for telephone calls as well!  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
I have no interest in texting or even getting a cell phone.
Count me as another one who don't want to touch one of those. In fact I hate talking on the phone (most of the time mine is disconnect, since I just had one for my internet), if people want to see me they know where I live and they know my email (this is enough). Just the idea that anybody can reach me every seconds of my life on a phone "frighten" me. At my old job my boss wanted me to get one, my answer was clear that I didn't need that and if I ain't at home or unplug my line it's because I want to be leave alone. He didn't get it and I couldn't care less...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
Just the idea that anybody can reach me every seconds of my life on a phone "frighten" me.

In the movie Inherit the Wind, Spencer Tracy as lawyer Henry Drummond, gives a small soliloquy on the price paid for technology and man's inherent desire to evolve.

Henry Drummond: Progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it.
Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "All right, you can have a telephone but you lose privacy and the charm of distance.
Madam, you may vote but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder puff or your petticoat.
Mister, you may conquer the air but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."

Alien Redrum

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
Technology is awesome and has made our lives better in the long run, even though, as that quote mentioned, there are definite downsides because of the evolution. I don't blame that on technology, though, I blame it on the users of it.

I just got a new droid, and it has already done wonders for me, as far as what I've used it for. The GPS has come in handy more than once, and it's saved me money when shopping for DVDs (there's an app I can use that if I think something is a good price, I can scan that something and it will tell me the best price on the web).

However, even with that said, I hate talking on the phone.  :laugh: I text more than anything else, and many times it's to arrange a face-to-face meet. And cell phones have certainly brought out the rudeness of people (theaters being the perfect example, as well as the mentioned talking while dealing with a clerk). But, like I said, I put that blame squarely on the jerk on the phone, not the phone itself. As much as I hate it, I'd take that bad because the good far outweighs it.

Since I completely strayed from topic, I will say I very rarely go to the theater anymore because 9 times out of 10 the experience is hurt because of some jackass. The only time I really go now is during early matinees or later shows mid-week when there is hardly anyone there. And on the occasion my buddy calls me and invites me out to early screenings. He has a friend who is a projectionist and he jacks up the sound to 11 on the action flicks and dishes out popcorn. It's a lot of fun.

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
He has a friend who is a projectionist and he jacks up the sound to 11 on the action flicks and dishes out popcorn. It's a lot of fun.

That's one of the reason I don't go to the theater anymore (along with all the jackasses). The sound is way too loud. It's like everybody in there is completely deaf. Each and every time I've gone to the theater, I've had a ringing in my ears for a few arnes after the movie.  :thumbdown:

Najemikon

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
I have a very advanced mobile phone (HTC Hero) because I don't like phones! :stars: Perverse, I know, but I hate elongated conversations by any phone and hardly ever text, but I also have to accept I'm a geek and my PC sucks too much time. This smartphone actually helps me organise the geek factor much better. I switch my PC on far less than I used to, meaning I'm less likely to get caught up in some mind numbing crap. I don't even have an email client installed on the PC. I reply from my phone on here sometimes too. It's fully integrated with FaceBook, which means it's actually turned that site into something lean and useful!

I've never seen the obsession with texts. I probably send about 3 per month and two of those are jokes! A friend of mine once had a small car accident (just a bump) because he was texting. He also signed up to a service some years ago called Genie. It gave you free texts, but based on fair use. He got banned for over use; they felt 600 a month average was reasonable, but he was sending that per day.

kahless

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
Well, I own a Nokia E71 with an internet and phone flatrate. I have to admit that I don't really need it. It's just luxury! I can't help it - I'm adicted to technics as well!  :-[
To be honest - an iPhone would be my dream - but my provider (Vodafone) does not offer this subsidised. I suppose, I have to wait a little bit!  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
Oh, good grief, another iPhone sheep!  :tease:

As most reviews agree, the cheaper and more flexible tariffs on the HTC Desire, make it the best alternative. Plus, it's a better phone in every respect and runs Android. Far, far better and the proposed iPhone 4 has very little to put up against it. I believe HTC recently pipped Apple sales somewhere so thankfully the rot might be setting in at last.

kahless

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
Oh, good grief, another iPhone sheep!  :tease:
sed iPhone 4 has very little to put up against it. I believe HTC recently pipped Apple sales somewhere so thankfully the rot might be setting in at last.

Yes - guilty!  :-[

An iPhone can't be worse than my previous cell phones! E.g. a long time ago I owned a HTC Magician (Vodafone name was VPA Compact) - this was causing a lot of trouble. I killed it by trying to install an official rom update from Vodafone!  :(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:54:09 PM by kahless »

Najemikon

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
iPhones are very good actually, but just don't be blinkered. If you do start looking around, consider HTC's range. I love my Hero and it's big brother, the Legend, is just gorgeous. iPhone's are trapped in horrible, expensive contracts and you can do better for more functionality.

kahless

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
iPhones are very good actually, but just don't be blinkered. If you do start looking around, consider HTC's range. I love my Hero and it's big brother, the Legend, is just gorgeous. iPhone's are trapped in horrible, expensive contracts and you can do better for more functionality.

Maybe I should give HTC a 2nd chance!  ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Oh yeah. The Magician was Windows Mobile, so it started life disabled anyway!