Author Topic: Today's the day... Outdoor Hockey  (Read 1506 times)

lyonsden5

Today's the day... Outdoor Hockey
« on: January 01, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
I know Kathy talked about it in another thread. Too lazy to look for the thread  :bag: Today's the day of the big outdoor hockey game. link. Weather looks like around 32 degrees and snow for the entire game. Should be a fun event to watch. Too bad it's on a day that is known for College Bowl games (American Football). Even so I hope it gets a decent TV viewing audience.

Kathy, if you're around did you ever sell your tickets? If you're not around I'm guessing you're there. If I knew what you looked like I would watch for you on TV. Wouldn't be too hard I don't think. Only 70,000+ people  :laugh: (sold out in 30 minutes too  :o ).

Sebastien, is it being shown in your area? I know you too are a fan of the game.

RossRoy

Re: Today's the day... Outdoor Hockey
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
Sebastien, is it being shown in your area? I know you too are a fan of the game.

Of course it is shown in my area. It is really rare for a big hockey related event to not be shown in Canada, add to that the fact that one of the biggest names in the game (Sydney "The Kid" Crosby) will be playing, and he is Canadian, so of course it's gonna be shown. I think it'll even be in HD, but I'm not 100% positive about that.

And of course I'll be glued to my seat for the game! Can't miss such a special event!

At least, at 32 degrees, it should be relatively comfortable for them to play.

Back in November 2003, the Canadiens played the Oilers in a similar event. There were 57,167 people (a record, about to be broken) and temperature was -30 C (-22 F) if you count the wind chill!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Classic

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
HA! What a start! The snow is blowing everywhere, the ice is already getting covered up, the puck is really slow, and Pittsburgh has already scored  :dance:

Hope you're enjoying it Sebastien. Watching in beautiful high definition here  :clap:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
I know I should probably have sold my tickets but I just couldn't do it!  :bag: Money is wonderful of course but this was, to me, a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was snowing, windy and absolutely fabulous; of course living in Buffalo we know how to dress so the weather just made the experience that much better. I wouldn't have passed this game up for anything. There is just something so special about seeing hockey played outside. The game even went into overtime and then a shoot out! I couldn't have asked for anything more (except a win :-[ that darn Sidney Crosby :tease:). I yelled so much I've got laryngitis today...of course my family told me that's a good thing! :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
How was the view though? From what I could see on TV, the crowd was really far from the ice, even the first rows! Must've been somewhat like watching flea's playing!  ;)

But it must've been incredible to be there! Even the images on TV were great! And while the snow did make the conditions difficult for the players, you could see just how professional they are: they adapted! They figured out just how strong to make the passes, etc.

:thumbup:

The commentators on the french channel here said the Canadiens are actually interested in a similar event here in Montreal! We'll see how that develops!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
I was actually closer than when I'm at their regular arena; I'm in the very top row there (right below where Rick Jenerette sits). My brother taped it for me though so I can watch it on TV too.

There was an NHL game played outside before, I know it was in Canada because I remember watching it. Maybe in Vancouver?

I would LOVE to go to an outdoor game in Montreal if they have it; let me know if you hear anything. I'm going to be really busy the next few months (family stuff) and I'm sure I'll need a mental health holiday.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »
There was an NHL game played outside before, I know it was in Canada because I remember watching it. Maybe in Vancouver?

Back in November 2003, the Canadiens played the Oilers in a similar event. There were 57,167 people (a record, about to be broken) and temperature was -30 C (-22 F) if you count the wind chill!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Classic

lyonsden5

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it. You made the right decision to go to the game. From what I saw it was an experience you will not soon forget, as compared to the money you would have received and already spent  :laugh: