Author Topic: Romero's Survival of the Dead for free on HDNet tonight.  (Read 1222 times)

Alien Redrum

Romero's Survival of the Dead for free on HDNet tonight.
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »
Didn't quite know where to put this (Bargains? TV? HD? :laugh:)

But tonight at 8 PM, HD Net will be showing Romero's newest film, Survival of the Dead for free.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Romero's Survival of the Dead for free on HDNet tonight.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »
Anybody saw it? Any good?

I understarnd it has a limited theatrical run right now (with a DVD in the UK already released :shrug:) and am loking forward for the R1 Blu-ray.

EDIT:
I just found the announcement for the Region A Blu-ray.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:48:23 AM by Achim »

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »
I saw a clip online that while out of context, was very poor. I'll watch it when it's cheap, but I'm afraid it seems like Romero has lost it. I already gave Diary a hell of a lot of slack, so hopefully Survival still has that ingenuity, but dammit, it needs some... oomph!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
Yeah, Diary was quite mixed bag. What can I say,I have stuck with Romero so far and won't stop here. I am fairly certain not to expect another Dawn or Day, I'll just take what I get and enjoy the gore.

northbloke

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
I got the DVD when it came out and "it's not bad" is the best I can say about it. I preferred it to Diary mainly because the characters are more likeable in this one. There are some nice humourous touches but an over reliance on CGI effects sometimes, and social message and subtlety have never gone together in Romero's films, and in this case I think the film suffers because of it. But I don't think Romero has "lost it" in the same way that someone like Argento has, he can still keep the pace going and create nice set-pieces.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
A Romero film that is "not bad" is usually much better than most other average fare... Seems I am good to go to get the Blu when it comes out.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
I was going to watch this last night but a combination phone call from my father and then my cousin telling me to play Medal of Honor, it just didn't happen.

No big loss, though. Mostly everything I've seen and read about this film has been negative. I'll most likely pick it up anyway when it comes to a reasonable price on DVD, though, if only to support Romero.