Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 230459 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #945 on: January 27, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »

He Was a Quiet Man (2007)

Overview:
Disgruntled office worker Bob Maconel (Christian Slater) is having another bad day at work. Trapped in his dull cubicle, mostly ignored by his co-workers and bullied by his superiors, Bob daydreams of blowing his office skyscraper sky-high, before ending his own miserable existence. But on this particular day, Bob is transformed from potential killer into accidental hero when another stressed employee beats him to it and opens fire. Unfortunately, going from zero to hero in the blink of an eye has its downside and soon Bob finds himself closer to the edge than ever before.

My Thoughts:
Well that was not at all what I was expecting. Both Christian Slater and Elisha Cuthbert haven't selected the best of roles of late, but in this movie, both excel. Slater plays someone who is a loner with extreme mental issues which unravel quickly, yet never feel overdone, whilst Cuthbert is a colleague he saves from being shot and he forms an unlikely relationship with her whilst she is paralysed. There are some really surreal moments (the talking fish!), that perhaps don't fit quite so well as director Frank A. Cappello had hoped, but overall He Was a Quiet Man is intriguing and interesting to watch with an ending that is pulled off well. I recommend it. 4/5

Fully agree.  This is a very good film and if you like Christian Slater it should be watched.  Very happy this is in my collection, though I don't watch it very often.  Like Michael Douglas's "Falling Down" this is dark and not a 'happy' film.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #946 on: January 27, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »

Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009)

Overview:
Sci-fi action sequel starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. A terrorist group has employed two state-of-the-art UniSol fighters (Lundgren and Andrei Arlovski) to seize power of the crippled Chernobyl nuclear reactor, and is threatening to unleash a deadly radioactive cloud if its terms are not met. Can ex-UniSol Luc Deveraux (Van Damme) possibly be a match for these virtually indestructible warriors? The fate of humankind hangs in the balance as the ultimate showdown unfolds.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The history between Lundgren and Van Damme's characters has followed on well.
- Van Damme and Lundgren are both on good form with decent fight and action sequences.
- The end action scene is over thirty minutes and doesn't let up, finishing in the same frentic style as it begins.
Cons:
- The acting from the supporting cast is poor to mediocre.
- Dialogue is often laughable, but then again, what are you expecting?
Overall:
A decent enough entry into the franchise as John Hyams takes the reigns from his father in b-movie actioners. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:06:26 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »
You're being far too generous. But then you probably have a higher tolerance for these kind of movies than I do. I was seeking this out after being surprised by Reckoning, but it fits much more into the mold of its predecessors, at least as much as I remember them. Btw, where did you get the father-son thing? IMDb doesn't back it up, unless I overlooked something.
Matthias

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #948 on: January 27, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
Sorry, I should've been clearer. I mean John Hyams is taking over his Dad in directing b-movies. Peter Hyams is the director of photography here. Yeah, I am particularly generous towards Van Damme, Lundgren and Seagal films having been a huge fan of them for years. I know they aren't great but I get a kick out of the cheesiness and dialogue mixed with generally good action. I have over 40 Van Damme movies now I believe. I'm even getting some enjoyment out of some of Snipes and Gooding Jrs similar efforts.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #949 on: January 27, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007)

Overview:
Comedy horror starring Trevor Matthews as Jack Brooks, a man who is left consumed by rage after witnessing the brutal murder of his family when he was a child. Years later, Jack is a plumber whose life has been on a continuous downward spiral since that fateful day. One day, while Jack is attempting to repair some pipes for Professor Crowley (Robert Englund), he unwittingly awakens an ancient evil which possesses the Professor's soul. The Professor's body begins to slowly transform and Jack must now harness his anger for the powers of good and face the forces of evil that killed his family.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Robert Englund owns this. He plays the comedy brilliantly.
- The special effects are very good and the lack of CGI always a plus.
- The style reminds me of The Evil Dead and it's well executed.
Cons:
- Some of the supporting cast members are not great, particularly students.
- I'd have preferred the action to have started a bit earlier.
Overall:
A good entry into horror comedy and I wouldn't mind a sequel. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #950 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »

Teen Massacre (2004)

Overview:
Four unsuspecting teens are sent to a local forest to work on what they think is a science experiment for class. What they don't know is that something more than just samples of dirt awaits them.

My Thoughts:
This is a short film included on the Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer DVD. Directed by Jon Knautz with a $7000CAD budget and starring Trevor Matthews (who played Jack Brooks!) it's not a bad homemade attempt at horror. There are some good effects all things considering and the cast are poor but passable. It's an interesting look at the direction Knautz's career was to take, but that's it really. 2.5/5
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:38:40 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #951 on: January 27, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »

Faster (2010)

Overview:
An ex-convict seeks revenge for his brother's death in this action-packed revenge thriller starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Ten years ago, Driver (Johnson) was part of a bank heist gone horribly awry. In the chaos of the botched robbery, his brother wound up dead. Now Driver is a free man, and he's determined to punish the men who killed his late sibling. But settling the score won't be easy, because despite being just a few days shy of retirement, a veteran cop (Billy Bob Thornton) isn't about to let a massacre take place on his watch, and a hotshot hitman (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) has Driver locked in his sights. Unfortunately for Driver, the closer he gets to his targets, the more he puts himself at risk. Later, just as Driver starts to think he's gotten everyone on his list, he discovers that one name seems to be missing.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cast all suit their roles brilliantly. Dwayne Johnson, Carla Gugino, Billy Bob Thornton, Tom Berenger and Courtney Gains all do well here.
- Dwayne Johnson's character is essentially a cold-hearted killer out for revenge, but his character goes through several stages that makes you rethink your opinion of him.
- The action is very to the point at times which works well (like Gains being shot in the head right at the start - not a spoiler) and set pieces like the car chase also do the job.
Cons:
- There isn't really a whole lot to the story, but that isn't necessarily a negative. Just could've been a little tighter at times.
Overall:
One of the better action films in recent years. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #952 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)

Overview:
This next instalment of The Twilight Saga sees Bella Swan devastated by the abrupt departure of her vampire love, Edward Cullen, but her spirit is rekindled by her growing friendship with Jacob Black. Suddenly she finds herself drawn into the world of werewolves, the ancestral enemies of the vampires, and finds her loyalties tested.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Kristen Stewart carries such a prescence on screen it's alarming.
- The special effects are an improvement on Twilight with the werewolves a highlight.
Cons:
- It's overlong and drawn out.
- Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner suck the life out of me here (no pun intended for Pattinson).
Overall:
I'm sure the target audience love it and I did think it was watchable, but it needed more action, less melodrama and sparkle. Low-end rental. 2.5/5

Disclaimer:
I've never read the books but it seems from reviews the third is better than this one, so I've ordered it cheap.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #953 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »

Death Race (2008)

Overview:
Sci-fi action adventure based on Paul Bartel's 1975 film 'Death Race 2000'. Jason Statham stars as former racing driver Jensen Ames, who is sent to Terminal Island prison after being framed for the murder of his wife. There, he is forced by the masochistic Warden Hennessey (Joan Allen) to compete in a lethal car race where the contestants must win or die.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- A cracking cast, especially Ian McShane and Joan Allen in roles out of their comfort zone.
- Some very good special effects. Loved it when the Juggernaut crashed.
- It's non-stop with the action making for a great popcorn movie.
Cons:
- Would've liked more of a backstory to other characters outside of Statham.
Overall:
A lot of fun if you just switch your brain off. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #954 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »

Chocolate (2008)

Overview:
From the makers of Ong-Bak and Warrior King comes the new no stunt-doubles action sensation. Sin was once a prominent member of the most feared mafia gang in Thailand and mistress to its notorious leader, the ruthless Number-8. Now suffering from leukaemia, the only way to raise money for treatment is for her daughter, Zen, to seek out her old underworld contacts and collect aged debts. Blessed with an incredible ability to mimic the fighting moves of her favourite action heroes, Zen proves an awesome match for those who stand in her way. However, when Number 8 decides that the money belongs to him, Zen is faced with a full-on battle for survival. Starring Asia s new female action superstar JeeJa Yanin (who spent 2 full years in training), Chocolate contains some of the most breathtaking set piece action scenes you will see this year!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The fight scenes are excellent and JeeJa Yanin is obviously skilled.
- Taphon Phopwandee compliments the film very well as Mangmoon. I can't believe this is the only credit to his name.
- The way Zen starts off with basic kicks and punches and progresses to an unrelenting kick-boxer from watching films/martial arts classes is well done and gives enough backstory for the characters.
Cons:
- Some of the pacing in the first half an hour could've benefited from tighter editing.
My Thoughts:
A cracking action movie with a lot of similarities in style to the slightly better Ong-Bak, also directed by Pinkaew. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #955 on: January 28, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »

Life Blood (2009)

Overview:
40 years ago a natural force vanquished Brooke and Rhea, a sexy lesbian couple, after they committed an inconceivable murder. Now on New Years eve, they'll rise from the dead. Still hot and still a couple, now they're back as vampires. Enamoured with their newfound power, It's no longer a question of whether they will kill again, but of how many they will kill.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It's got some reasonably original touches, a rarity these days.
- Sophie Monk and Patrick Renna were surprisingly okay.
- The atmospheric tone suited it very well.
Cons:
- The plot (or lack of for the most part) can be strangely confusing at times.
- The casting of Danny Woodburn was totally misplaced.
Overall:
It's a difficult one to judge. It will appeal to fans of horror but it's not a great film. Low end rental 2.5/5
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:39:07 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #956 on: January 28, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »

The Marine (2006)

Overview:
Explosive thriller starring John Cena as John Triton, an injured U.S. Marine who returns home from duty only to have his wife kidnapped by a ruthless criminal. Robert Patrick stars as the villainous Rome, who is more than willing to kill if it means staying one step ahead of the law. With nothing left to lose and enough training to take down a small army, the hard-fighting Triton sets out to rescue his wife, and ensure that the psychotic Rome receives a painful taste of justice.

My Thoughts:
I grabbed The Marine after viewing a surprisingly good action movie starring WWE star John Cena called 12 Rounds. Unfortunately, The Marine is a different kettle of fish. John Cena and his action scenes are mediocre, Kelly Carlson didn't do it for me as the token damsel in distress and aside from Robert Patrick, the rest of the supporting cast are distinctly average. The story is nothing fresh, but it is capable - making this worthy of a weak rental only. A generous 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #957 on: January 28, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »

The Marine (2009)

Overview:
While on leave, Marine sniper Joe Linwood (Ted DiBiase) takes his wife Robin (Lara Cox) on holiday to a luxurious five-star resort on the South Seas. But their relaxing break comes to an abrupt end when a terrorist group seizes control of the resort and takes the billionaire owner and several guests - including Robin - hostage. Can Joe use his Marine training to free the hostages and save the day?

My Thoughts:
Don't be mistaken by the title as this isn't a sequel and we have none of the cast members returning. John Cena has been replaced by a poor Ted DiBiase in what is a poor man's Die Hard, except in a luxury resort rather than a skyscraper. I have quite a high threshold when it comes to bad movies, but this one didn't entertain at all. Skip it. 1.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #958 on: February 01, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »

Fool's Gold (2008)

Overview:
The comedy adventure Fool's Gold follows Ben "Finn" Finnegan (Matthew McConaughey, Ed TV) as an affable, modern-day treasure hunter who is obsessed with finding the legendary 18th century Queen’s Dowry—40 chests of priceless treasure that was lost at sea in 1715. In his quest, Finn has sunk everything he has, including his marriage to Tess (Kate Hudson, How To Lose A Guy In 10 days). Just as Tess has begun to rebuild her life, working aboard a mega-yacht owned by billionaire Nigel Honeycutt (Donald Sutherland, Commander In Chief), Finn discovers a vital clue to the treasure’s whereabouts. Much to Tess’ consternation, Finn maneuvers himself aboard Nigel’s yacht and, using his roguish charm, convinces the tycoon and his celebutante daughter, Gemma (Alexis Dziena, Invasion), to join him in the pursuit of the Spanish riches. Even Tess can’t resist the lure of finally uncovering the treasure that had eluded them for so long. But they are not the only ones after the prize. Finn’s one-time mentor, Moe Fitch (Ray Winstone, Beowulf), and a ruthless local gangster named Bigg Bunny (Kevin Hart, In The Mix) are intent on beating Finn to the trove. Let the treasure hunt begin...

My Thoughts:
Not a gteat film, but a fun one nonetheless. An enjoyable cast, especially Donald Sutherland, and a story which is okay but nothing new. Worth a rental. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #959 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »

Gomorrah (2008)

Overview:
Hard-hitting, Italian crime drama directed by Matteo Garrone, based on the non-fiction book by Roberto Saviano, who was forced into hiding after the book's publication. The film takes an unglamorous look at the extent to which the city of Naples is controlled by the Camorra mob, a network of families whose influence extends beyond the underground world of organised crime and into the everyday running of the city. Five intertwining stories show the effects of mobster rule on Neapolitan citizens from all walks of life.

My Thoughts:
Compelling and doesn't make any attempt to glamourise gangster life in Italy like some Hollywood productions do, Gomorrah is well written and well acted. It's vicious at times, and has some subtle dark humour in others. Recommended. 4/5