Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 230456 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #870 on: January 12, 2013, 02:57:48 AM »

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints (2006)

Overview:
Returning home to see his sick father (Chazz Palmintieri), Dito (Robert Downey Jr.), reminisces about his youth in the NY borough of Queens. As the action centres on events in his childhood, we follow a younger Dito on the verge of making a tough choice between staying in the gang-ridden streets and the bosom of his family, or breaking free into a wider world, full of possibilities.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cast is a brilliant mix of well known and unknown actors. Best of the bunch are Chazz Palmintieri, Rosario Dawson and Martin Compston.
- It's brutal at times, but it doesn't dwell on or glamourise the violence. Hard-hitting in all the right places.
- The mix between current times and 80's Queens, NY is well managed.
Cons:
- Some parts feel a bit amateurish with regards to editing and directing.
Overall:
Reminds me a lot of Larry Clark's Kids. It isn't as good but certainly recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #871 on: January 12, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »

Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)

Overview:
ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS is a hilarious adventure packed with toe-tapping tunes and fur-flying fun! When struggling songwriter Dave Seville (Jason Lee) opens his home to a talented trio of chipmunks named Alvin, Simon and Theodore, they become overnight sensations. But a greedy record producer (David Cross) intends to exploit the "boys" and send them on a grueling concert tour just to line his own pockets. Now Dave must use a little human ingenuity - and a lot of 'munk mischief - to get his family back before it's too late!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The animation is overall strong and the voicing as close to the original characters as you could imagine.
- Jason Lee was an odd choice for this type of movie but he was great. A family-friendly version of his Earl character from My Name is Earl.
Cons:
- Being aimed at kids it goes for cheap laughs and even then sometimes struggles to get them.
- The story isn't very strong. Keeping the Chipmunks current is obviously harder than the filmmakers thought.
Overall:
Scrapes in as a rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #872 on: January 12, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

The Mechanic (2011)

Overview:
Jason Statham is Arthur Bishop - The Mechanic - an elite assassin with a unique talent for eliminating targets with deadly skill and total emotional detachment. But when the Agency double cross him and his mentor and friend Harry (Donald Sutherland) is killed, Bishop enlists Harry's son (Ben Foster) on a mission to avenge his death. As tensions rise and deceptions surface those sent to fix the problem soon become the problem themselves in this explosive, high-octane thrill ride.

My Thoughts:
As a fan of Lundgren, Van Damme and Seagal it makes me really happy to see an actor like this for the current generation. Jason Statham has impressed me more and more with each outing and he's carving himself out a really nice career as an all-out action star. The Mechanic is yet another great movie on his resume in which he plays a hitman who is essentially double crossed into killing his mentor and friend Harry. He then trains Harry's son, Steve (Ben Foster), to become a hitman also and as the story increases in pace, everything is revealed and we get an explosive ending (literally). If you enjoyed the Crank movies or the Transporter movies, check this one out also. A decent cast and some cracking set-pieces. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #873 on: January 12, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »

Season of the Witch (2011)

Overview:
A heroic crusader (Nicolas Cage – Knowing, Drive Angry) and his close ally (Ron Perlman – Hellboy, Sons of Anarchy) return home after decades of fierce fighting to find their world destroyed by the Plague. Believing a witch to be responsible for the devastation, they are commanded by the church Cardinal (Christopher Lee – Lord of The Rings) to transport the girl to a remote monastery where monks will perform an ancient ritual to rid the land of her curse. But they soon discover the girl’s dark secret and find themselves battling a powerful and destructive force that will determine the fate of the world forever.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Claire Foy is unsettling as the alleged witch.
- The locations and sets are very good and suit the story very well.
Cons:
- Nic Cage and Ron Perlman are both rather bad here. Wooden and without expression.
- The CGI is very poor considering the budget.
Overall:
It isn't a great film, but Claire Foy and the change in direction kept me watching. A very generous recommendation of a rental though I guess most should definately skip it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #874 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »

The Tourist (2010)

Overview:
Starring A-List superstars Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Angelina Jolie (Salt), The Tourist is an edge-of-the-seat action-adventure, set against the breathtaking backdrops of Paris and Venice. When Frank (Depp) crosses paths with the mysterious and seductive Elise (Jolie), his holiday takes an unexpected and dangerous turn. When armed assassins chase him from his hotel room in a hail of bullets, Frank begins to understand that he and Elise have been drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse. As the net begins to close around them, Frank soon realises that to escape with his life, he will have to learn to fight back… or die.
Directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (The Lives of Others) who also wrote the screenplay with the legendary Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects) and Julian Fellowes.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The supporting cast were very good, especially Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Steven Berkoff.
- The rare action sequence is well done, particularly the boat chase.
Cons:
- Both Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie fail to really get going, but I blame that on the fact the movie seems too mellow and doesn't really spark into gear.
- The ending is obvious from a mile away.
Overall:
The story is okay, but it's lacking a sense of urgency. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #875 on: January 13, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »

Bridesmaids (2011)

Overview:
Universal Pictures and producer Judd Apatow (Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin) invite you to experience Bridesmaids. Kristen Wiig leads the cast as Annie, a maid of honour whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony.
Annie’s life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian’s maid of honour. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she’ll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you’ll go for someone you love.

My Thoughts:
Bridesmaids was a smash hit at the cinema, very popular among women who took it on as a sort of female version of "The Hangover". However, there is a lot here for the men to enjoy here aswell, and I'm not just talking about the gorgeous Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Wendi-McLendon Covery and Ellie Kemper. The humour is very gross out at times - when the girls get the shits in the wedding dress store, I was in stitches of laughter - and the dialogue sharp and quick. The best lines are left for Melissa McCarthy's characters though, who wants the hen party to be a fight club! Despite all the fun though, there are a couple of problems - mainly the pacing. It runs about half an hour too long and this stops the movie getting a slightly higher score. Recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:44:44 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #876 on: January 13, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

Robotropolis (2011)

Overview:
A group of reporters are covering the unveiling of a new facility that is completely maintained by robot prototypes. When one of the robots catastrophically malfunctions, the reporters find themselves fighting for their very survival.

My Thoughts:
When you look at the title and cast with Robotropolis you automatically go in with low expectations, and for the most part, it's clear why. However, Robotropolis isn't quite as bad as it ought to be. The cast are a mixed bag between adequate and poor, the best of the bunch easily being Lani Tupu and Zoe Naylor. The special effects are okay for the budget, nothing great but they've avoided it being really bad for the majority. Story is typical low budget script-for-hire standard but there are some good ideas here like how the story develops using news broadcasts and I think with a more experienced cast and crew this could've been quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is mainly wasted opportunities so I recommend you skip right on by this one and just watch the Terminator franchise instead. 2/5
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:44:58 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #877 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »

127 Hours (2010)

Overview:
A triumphant true story from Danny Boyle, director of Slumdog Millionaire. The incredible true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a falling boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated slot canyon in Utah. With only a day's worth of water, a blunt penknife and an unwavering will to survive Aron does everything he can go make it out alive.

My Thoughts:
Danny Boyle is a favourite director of mine and this was in my top movies of 2010. I wasn't sure how it would hold up to a repeat viewing but I was engrossed right the way through again. James Franco isn't someone I find to be a particularly great actor but he absolutely smashes it in his role here. He plays every emotion perfectly and really gives you the sense of what Aron Ralston must've felt when it actually happened to him (though hopefully I'll never know for sure!). Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #878 on: January 14, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

Corpses (2004)

Overview:
A murderous mortician finds a way of bringing back the dead for an hour at a time to do his dirty work. Captain Winston (Jeff Fahey), the town's chief of police, has to get to the bottom of the mysterious and brutal deaths and events happening in the small town before more people die.

My Thoughts:
This low budget horror owes a lot to the great Re-Animator series of films as it does borrow from them rather heavily, but it also goes in its own, almost interesting, direction. Jeff Fahey is the main name attached and although he was bearable, he was ultimately disappointing and the best cast member turned out to be Tiffany Shepis, who herself was average. Special effects aren't too bad for the budget (still below average and instantly forgettable though) and they've generally avoided CGI and gone for the more conventional effects which was a good move. Horror fans or big fans of the cast might get a kick out of a cheap rental, otherwise skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #879 on: January 14, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
As I was writing the above I have had the 13 minute behind the scenes featurette on. Bloody hell, the last few minutes are brilliant and show an argument between a cast member and a make-up woman about his oily skin and him having a little tantrum and saying she keeps calling him fat and her assistant keeps drinking on set. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Definately not for the cameras either!

(Just looked on Youtube briefly and couldn't find it though).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #880 on: January 14, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »

Unnatural Causes (2008)

Overview:
Mystery thriller starring Tara Reid and Angus MacFadyen as Julia and Matt, husband and wife as well as business partners in their successful advertising company. When Matt begins to suspect Julia of having an affair, he asks his co-worker Trevor (Colm Meaney) to have her followed. Trevor's discovery triggers a sequence of tragic events, but all may not be as it appears...

My Thoughts:
This thriller isn't anything new. In fact, the story has been done countless times - but this isn't the worst of films that follow this sort of storyline out there. The action scenes are average although the scene where the Saab crashes into a much bigger vehicle was quite impressive. Angus MacFadyen and Colm Meaney are both quite good here, and they have a reasonable support including a nice little underplayed appearance from George Wendt as the insurance claim guy. Unfortunately, they are unable to pull the film up from a horrible performance by Tara Reid who almost single handedly makes this not worth the effort. Her delivery feels awkward as though she hardly knew her lines and she had as much emotion as a rock. If you can get past Tara Reid, then give it a viewing - but don't go out of your way to watch it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »

Redline (2007)

Overview:
On the streets of Los Angeles and Las Vegas, daredevil drivers race the world's most exotic cars for million dollar bets. But as the stakes rise, so does the danger from deadly crashes to kidnapping and murder and only the fast survive. With adrenaline-pumping action and some of the rarest, most expensive high-performance vehicles ever raced and obliterated on film, Redline roars into high gear and doesn't let off the gas until the final explosive rush.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The cars are the dogs bollocks and they get plenty of screen time.
- Some of the race sequences that don't involve CGI are reasonably well done.
Cons:
- The CGI isn't of the best quality, especially when Nadia's Mercedes spins out.
- The acting is below par. Angus MacFadyen and Tim Matheson are the best of the bunch but they aren't very good here themselves.
- The story is practically non-existant, yet there are still plot holes.
Overall:
Watch the Fast & Furious franchise instead. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #882 on: January 15, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »

Forever Young (1992)

Overview:
In the 1940s a pilot (Mel Gibson), overcome with grief when his girlfriend goes into a coma, agrees to be cryogenically frozen in an experiment. He is forgotten about however, and is only woken by chance in 1992, where he has to struggle to adjust to a radically different world, while staying one step ahead of the army in his search for his former lover.

My Thoughts:
I hadn't seen this for probably at least fifteen years but it was just how I remembered it. The story is conventional and it doesn't really scream originality at you but it becomes strong by a tremendous cast. Mel Gibson is generally hit and miss but he's great here and Jamie Lee Curtis, Elijah Wood and George Wendt support him brilliantly. The end pushes the sentimentality a little too far but I'd recommend this as a good family film that you can veg out to without much thought. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #883 on: January 15, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »

Give 'em Hell Malone (2009)

Overview:
Uber-violent, cartoonish, noir thriller starring Thomas Jane and Ving Rhames. Malone (Jane) is a tough-as-nails detective turned hired killer who is sent by a mysterious client to retrieve a briefcase from a building that turns out to be protected by a dangerous gang including the hulking Boulder (Rhames), crazed arsonist Matchstick (Doug Hutchison) and Mauler (Chris Yen), a Japanese girl with a penchant for very sharp knives. After a series of bloody clashes render Malone the sole survivor, he begins to suspect a set-up - and soon finds himself head to head with the city's biggest crime boss, Whitmore (Gregory Harrison).

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- I really enjoyed how Mulcahy infused a 40's feel from the clothes, music, car and narrative into a modern day setting.
- When Malone gets hit in a fight, he feels it. I hate it when our hero seems invincible.
Cons:
- The majority of the cast gave performances below their proven capabilities.
- The story at times felt like it lost momentum.
Overall:
Rent it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #884 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »

Beyond Borders (2003)

Overview:
Sarah Jordan (Angelina Jolie) is an American living in London in the early 1980s. She is married to wealthy Henry Bauford (Linus Roache) when she meets relief worker Nick Callahan (Clive Owen) at a charity benefit. Nick's plea for help to support his relief efforts in war-torn Africa moves Sarah and she joins his crusade, embarking on a journey of discovery to Cambodia.

My Thoughts:
Wow. If there was ever a film of two halves. The first hour of Beyond Borders is brilliant. Introduces us to the characters and develops them quickly, is free-flowing and is a mix of emotions - sometimes devastating and difficult to watch. The second half turns into a suspenseful thriller but completely loses everything that was good about the first half. It becomes a mish-mash of genres and thoughts and just plods along to a boring ending. I'd recommend the first hour but tell you to skip the second. Overall, rent it. 3/5