Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 242502 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #690 on: September 27, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
You are cheap :P

I always buy them new and I even import Fist of the Reich and Auschwitz from your country because they weren't available here :laugh:

well, you couldn't get much worse than his earliest movies.
BTW Heart of America and Blackwoods he did before House of the Dead are not bad movies :whistle:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #691 on: September 27, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

Dances with Wolves (1990)

Overview:
In 1864 on man went in search of the frontier... and found himself.
Kevin Costner is Lt. John Dunbar who, as a reward for an act of heroism, chooses reassignment to the Western Frontier. Dunbar becomes caught between two worlds as he is drawn into the loving and honourable folds of a Sioux tribe living in the Dakota territory. This powerful story follows Dunbar's romances and friendships with an extraordinary race of people, and ultimately, the crucial decision he must make as white settlers continue their violent and ruthless journey into the lands of the Native Americans.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It's a long long film, but the story never bores - it captivates.
- The cinematography is lush. Really awesome shots and great use of the locations.
- Characters are well developed, and the dialogue / script is strong.
- The supporting cast all play their parts very well indeed. Graham Greene and Rodney A. Grant are of particular note as Kicking Bird and Wind In His Hair.
Cons:
- As much as this was a spectacular directorial debut for Costner, he occassionally struggles with the more emotional scenes as the star.
Overall:
This is a corker of a film - highly polished, gripping and a great story. Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:31:25 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 27, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
I agree with most everything you said .. especially the "As much as this was a spectacular directorial debut for Costner, he occassionally struggles with the more emotional scenes as the star".

I really like Costner .. i have never really understood why as his character emotion never really seems to come across.  But there you go .. fickle human here :)
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #693 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
I really like Costner

So do I, and I wish he would direct more. This and Open Range are excellent whilst The Postman is fun for what it is though I need to rewatch that one. I can't believe these are the only movies he has actually directed...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:56:25 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #694 on: September 27, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »

Highlander III: The Sorcerer (1994)

Overview:
Conner MacLeod (CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT) is back - braver, wiser and stronger than ever...
But now MacLeod is about to face his fiercest enemy yet - Kane The Sorcerer (MARIO VAN PEEBLES), an indestructible master of illusion whose single minded aim is to control the future of the world by harnessing the power of the past. That power must come from the death of one man - Highlander himself. It is a conquest that will take these immortal warriors through three continents in three centuries.. culminating in a lethal battle that could mark the end of civilisation itself.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- It's better than the second. The plot, as low-key as it is, actually makes sense this time!
- The score by Peter J. Robinson is great to listen to and there is a wide enough mix in choices.
- Christopher Lambert is enjoyable enough to watch and Deborah Kara Unger decent as the love interest.
Cons:
- It's extremely predictable. If you can't figure out the ending long before it happens, then nobody can help you in life.
- I wasn't really digging Mario Van Peebles as the villain. He's a bit too campy for my liking.
- The special effects are laughable.
- Dialogue is poor throughout, and some avenues of the story could have been more in-depth.
Overall:
I'm sure hardcore Highlander fans will get some enjoyment out of it, and there is no doubt about it that is better than the second, but I say skip it. Note that I watched the theatrical cut of the movie. 2/5

My reviews for the previous films:
- Highlander (1986) - http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg149713/topicseen.html#msg149713
- Highlander II: The Quickening (1991) - http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg154014/topicseen.html#msg154014

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #695 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »

The Shrine (2010)

Overview:
After a young backpacker goes missing, a group of journalists link his disappearance to a remote village called Alvaina. Upon further investigation, the journalists discover that Alvaina has a history of bizarre cult activity revolving around human sacrifice. Hell bent on discovering the truth, they travel to the small village, but quickly find themselves pursued by a mysterious group set on killing them. Forced into the gruesome reality of true survival horror, the journalist's soon discover that Alvaina hides a much darker secret than they could ever imagine.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The score is very atmospheric and builds tension well, especially in the woods.
- There are few cliches and a good attempt at building up to an interesting ending.
- The acting was serviceable. Aaron Ashmore, Cindy Sampson and Meghan Heffern were all suitably cast. Could've been better, but they were generally fine.
Cons:
- Some of the special effects could've been better.
- The movie suffered a little from some poor dialogue which could've been polished up.
- Some of the locations didn't look as good as they should've done, especially towards the end.
Overall:
The Shrine is a good visceral horror which doesn't rely on cheap scares. It has its problems, but is worth a watch. Rent it. 3/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 28, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
I've been thinking about that one. But havent been sure
Thanks for the review! I remember they had that one cheap
on my local movie store not long ago :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #697 on: September 28, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »

Hot Blood (1956)

Overview:
Set in the gypsy community of contemporary Los Angeles, aspiring dancer Stephen Torino (Cornel Wilde), is tricked by his brother into an arranged marriage with tempestuous Annie Caldash (Jane Russell). Annie is willing to give the union a go, but Torino wants none of it. Several risque complications and lively musical numbers later, Torino changes his mind.

My Thoughts:
I held up some hope for "Hot Blood" because director Nicholas Ray had previously directed the excellent "Johnny Guitar" and "Rebel Without a Cause", but unfortunately, I was ultimately disappointed here. Whilst there is no doubt that Cornel Wilde and Jane Russell are two great stars of yesteryear, they didn't seem to fit well together in this movie and that made it difficult to watch throughout. The story itself is passable but it just struggles to get moving and I didn't think the music was all that great either. Whilst not a complete waste of time, I can't find any real reason to recommend a viewing of Hot Blood. Skip it. 2/5

Najemikon

« Reply #698 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
I agree with most everything you said .. especially the "As much as this was a spectacular directorial debut for Costner, he occassionally struggles with the more emotional scenes as the star".

I really like Costner .. i have never really understood why as his character emotion never really seems to come across.  But there you go .. fickle human here :)

Still my favourite film and the only one I would never try to review. It's the film that made me love film in general and he one I can relate to more than any other. While I know what you mean about Costner, I see so much in that character, more than any other, that actually his delivery is perfect for me.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #699 on: October 03, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Overview:
The Umbrella Corporation's deadly T-virus continues to ravage the Earth, transforming the global population into legions of the flesh eating Undead. The human race's last and only hope, Alice, awakens in the heart of Umbrella's most clandestine operations facility and unveils more of her mysterious past as she delves further into the complex.

My Thoughts:
I think the Resident Evil movies are quite good fun. Completely brainless, but fun nonetheless. I caught the latest entry today in the cinema in 3D and I have to say, the fun has carried on. Whilst the story itself is mediocre at best, it doesn't stop you being blown away by the lightning pace from start to finish and some fantastic special effects. I'm neither for or against 3D but here it worked very well indeed for the most part and added some real depth, though some of the 3D bits were a bit amiss in the fight scenes. I really enjoyed having Michelle Rodriguez back, and of course Milla and Sienna were both present too. The style has changed for the better IMO, with some nice attempts at giving it a videogame feel at times and the ending has left me wanting more with the awesome cliffhanger. Overall, it was a good laugh, and I enjoyed it. Recommended, but for RE fans ONLY. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »

Looper (2012)

Overview:
In the year 2042, a man working for a group of killers called "Loopers" (they work for the mob and kill people who are sent blindfolded back in time from the year 2072 by their bosses) recognizes a victim as himself. He hesitates resulting in the escape of his older self.

My Thoughts:
Yes, I am on the mainland to visit the cinema. Yes, I have spent the money on a ferry and a hotel for a few nights just for a cinema trip, and it is all because of this movie so it had a lot of hope on its shoulders! Thankfully, Rian Johnson fucking nailed it! Everything about Looper was superb, the effects, the story, the casting, the dialogue, the ending. I'm not going to mess round here, I'm just going to tell you to see it. It's even better than Brick (more polished) so it of course comes highly recommended. 5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2012, 01:01:05 AM »
I timed my cinema trip this week not just for Looper (though yes, mainly), but so I can meet friends tomorrow and then see Taken 2 also on Thursday, another of my most anticipated!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #702 on: October 04, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

The Campaign (2012)

Overview:
In order to gain influence over their North Carolina district, two CEOs seize an opportunity to oust long-term congressman Cam Brady by putting up a rival candidate. Their man: naive Marty Huggins, director of the local Tourism Center.

My Thoughts:
I went to see this at the cinema today and was very unsure going in for several reasons. Director Jay Roach, is good, but he has never blown me away and Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianikis can be funny, but I find them to struggle when they are the main role in a movie rather than support. The Campaign brings both Ferrell and Galifianikis together as the two main characters under the direction of Roach and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. It's a not a fantastic comedy, but there are several laugh out loud moments (the baby punch) and I did love seeing Dan Aykroyd and John Lithgow playing brothers. There is also a little cameo by John Goodman and some good supporting roles from Jason Suduikis, Brian Cox and Dylan McDermott. The story moves a long at a good pace, never boring or overplaying itself and is overall an above average comedy in my opinion. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of the cast members. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #703 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »

Taken 2 (2012)

Overview:
In Istanbul, retired CIA operative Bryan Mills and his wife are taken hostage by the father of a kidnapper Mills killed while rescuing his daughter.

My Thoughts:
Taken was a surprise hit a few years ago and a film that I really enjoy watching having seen it several times now. Because of it becoming a surprise hit, a sequel was inevitable, and when I heard Olivier Megaton who directed the great fun Colombiana was going to helm the project, I was excited. Unfortunately though, Taken 2 is a bit of a disappointment. The action scenes, whilst good, are nothing special and are as cliched as they come right down to a car chase where the villain is taken out by a train. The cast are fine, though it is stretching it a bit having Maggie Grace play a 19 year old (she is 29), and Liam Neeson manages to deliver some daft dialogue without making it sound completely ridiculous. Overall, Taken 2 could be any one of the many random action movies out there and there isn't anything to push it ahead of the pack, which is a shame after the great first movie. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:51:48 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #704 on: October 05, 2012, 11:06:07 PM »

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Overview:
An introvert freshman is taken under the wings of two seniors who welcome him to the real world.

My Thoughts:
I went into this one not knowing anything about it other than the fact is starred Emma Watson in a post-Potter role. Having now watched movies from all the main Potter cast members, I have to say that if Watson does more films like this, she will be miles ahead of her former co-stars for years to come. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is fantastically written and Ezra Miller and Logan Lerman are also perfectly cast. The soundtrack is both brilliant and fitting, and the story moves along at a good pace tackling a few subjects very well - from 'fitting in' and growing up, to mental health issues. Recommended. 4.5/5