Author Topic: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 27906 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending TV Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Yeah. I really like X-Files. I used to own the complete series set from Brazil which came in an awesome filing cabinet. Was expensive and customs killed me on it, but I kind of lost that one in a split years ago ::)

I'd since picked up 1/2/3/5/6 and grabbed 4 earlier this year. I'll complete the set again eventually.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2012, 12:56:49 AM »
I see, sorry to hear that. Only a few seasons left, and you got them all again! :)
I too had a few X-Files season aswell, but i lost a few too when me and my gf split.
But i got X-Files on my wishlist tho. I hope they will come out sometime in Blu tho :-[
Would be awesome i think!
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

The X-Files: Season 4 (1996-1997)

Overview:
The truth is out there.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Mulder and Scully are two great characters who each get very different storylines and have very different beliefs. Despite the different general beliefs, they work with each other extremely well.
- The writing is consistently good throughout. There are of course some episodes that stand out more than others, but they are all enjoyable in this season.
- This is the last season where I thoroughly enjoyed all of the mythology episodes.
- Scully getting cancer added some good drama and Anderson's performances were amongst her best in the shows nine season run.
Cons:
- Some of the supporting cast who are only on for a single episode can be of varying quality.
Overall:
Having seen all nine seasons at least twice, this fourth season remains my favourite. Highly recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

True Blood: Season 1 (2008)

Overview:
From the creator of Six Feet Under and American Beauty comes True Blood, a TV series that follows Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin, who won a Golden Globe award for her role), a barmaid living in Louisiana who can read people's minds, and how her life is turned upside down when the Vampire Bill walks into her place of employment two years after vampires "came out of the coffin" on national television.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- I've been a fan of Anna Paquin since Buffalo Soldiers. Good to see her take the reigns here.
- I really like the majority of the supporting cast, and I like the fact they get their fair share of screen time.
- The storylines have so far been very enjoyable and there looks to be some good set-ups for the second season.
- I absolutely love the opening credits sequence. One of the best I've seen and one of the few I don't skip past each episode.
Cons:
- I'm not thoroughly convinced by Stephen Moyer yet who plays vampire Bill.
Overall:
A really enjoyable opening season and I look forward to seeing some more episodes. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2012, 09:39:50 PM »

Benidorm: Series 2 (2008)

Overview:
More sun, sangria and swinging in series two of Benidorm…
Once again the Solana, Benidorm’s premier all-inclusive resort, plays host to its usual mix of holidaymakers all looking for sun, sea and savings.
The Garveys return with a few new additions – Telle’s baby Coolio and Madge’s new boyfriend Mel Harvey (Disbury’s answer to Julio Iglesias). The Oracle gets romantic with Telle; enthusiastic swingers Donald and Jacqueline are, as ever, on hand with helpful advice and Kate and Martin are happy in the knowledge that they are never, ever coming back to Benidorm…
With plenty of karaoke, bull-fighting and a spectacular mobility chair shoot-out, this second series of Benidorm is unmissable.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The Garvey family characters headed by Steve Pemberton get the majority of the funniest bits.
- Good to see all the characters from the first series return, and they are developing nicely.
- Each set of characters get enough screen time so that you get to know all of them equally well.
- New character Mel was rather funny, especially his karaoke scene.
Cons:
- There are a few jokes that are repeated a little much.
- I don't like anything based around the character Mateo.
Overall:
A surprisingly fun comedy - and ITV don't manage that too often these days! Recommended. 3.5/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »
The Benidorm series there is airing on Norwegian tv aswell. I've watched a few episodes..
But never got in to it. Not my cup of tea kinda. Never saw the big humor in it i think.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »
The Benidorm series there is airing on Norwegian tv aswell. I've watched a few episodes..
But never got in to it. Not my cup of tea kinda. Never saw the big humor in it i think.

It is definately quintessentially British. I can't see the humour passing well unless you are very familiar with the relationship between the lower classes in Britain and the all-inclusive cheap holidays in Spain!

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
Hehe, well the cheap holidays in Spain are the same here ;)
But the rest i'm not familiar with at all. Guess thats it :)
But i gave it a few shots (2-3 eps) but never got in to it
really. Airs once a week here
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Season 1 (1996-1997)

Overview:
Pretty teen witch Sabrina Spellman (Melissa Joan Hart) lives with her two otherworldly aunts, Hilda (Caroline Rhea) and Zelda (Beth Broderick), along with Salem, their talking black cat (voice of Nick Bakay). The Witches Council long ago ordered her aunts to teach Sabrina witchcraft once she turned sixteen. Now she can be in Paris for lunch...and make it back for in time for biology! The show that found its way into the hearts of millions of viewers each week brilliantly combines the supernatural world of magic with the average life of a teenage girl.
Join Sabrina, cute crush Harvey (Nate Richert), best friend Jenny (Michelle Beaudoin), and rival Libby (Jenna Leigh Green) at their favourite pizza hangout, The Slicery. That is, when they aren't frustrating their teacher, Mr. Pool (Paul Feig). Here on DVD for the first time ever are all 24 Season One episodes of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch™!

My Thoughts:
This first season of Sabrina the Teenage Witch used to air as I got home from school when I was just thirteen and at the time it was a comedy that was one you could watch without 'feeling like a kid'. Watching it sixteen years later and it is good to see that not only did the show have a surprisingly good cast of characters, but that there are jokes within that went over my head when I was a young'un. The cast are quite good, and although Melissa Joan-Hart is much better than everyone else involved, the supporting cast are certainly competant - but at the same time it is no surprise that neither have gone past small roles and guest appearances. Overall, Sabrina was a good show in it's day and holds up well with this first season being a good introduction to the characters. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »

24: Season 6 (2007)

Overview:
Season 6 of the Emmy® Nominated TV series picks up 20 months after last season's shocking season finale, when Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) was captured by Chinese government agents--battered, bloodied and headed for points unknown. Wayne Palmer (DB Woodside), the strong-minded brother of the late President David Palmer, is now the President of the United States, and is aided by his sister Sandra Palmer (Regina King), a powerful advocacy lawyer. After a series of horrific terrorist attacks, Palmer and his team of advisors, Karen Hayes (Jayne Atkinson) and Thomas Lennox (Peter MacNicol)--as well as CTU colleagues Chloe O'Brian (Mary Lynn Rajskub), Curtis Manning (Roger Cross) and Bill Buchanan (James Morrison)--begin an unthinkable nail-biting day.

My Thoughts:
Jack Bauer is now a character that should go down in television history. 24 is a lot of fun, action-packed and never lets down on having several engaging plotlines going on at once. In season 6, Bauer's family is heavily involved, Milo has a pretty damn shit day (!) and Chloe and Morris have some good little parts thrown their way also. As always though, the show is Kiefer Sutherland's and Jack Bauer is the perfect role for him. I also love the fact that you see a lot of political tension, not only between different countries, but in-house too. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
Teachers: Series 1

Channel Four have been well known for their comedy offerings since the mid-nineties ranging from the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost career starter Spaced through to Black Books and Phoenix Nights. In more recent years, the channel have found success in dramas with a large comedy element, the most famous and successful of which being Shameless (which has also spun a US remake starring William H. Macy). Channel Four first found success in this genre however with shows like Teachers and Green Wing.

The case for Teachers states: The lives and lifestyles of a group of young comprehensive school teachers in Bristol forms the backdrop for the drama series Teachers. Starring Andrew Lincoln, Teachers is set in the fictional Summertown Comprehensive, where a mix of seasoned and young teachers and some raucous pupils makes for some humourous incidents. Set as much out of the classroom as in it, this is a contemporary light-hearted series where the staff find their lives as problematic after school. The main teachers in the drama are twenty-somethings whose lives are complicated by the fact that they aren't much older than their pupils. They have their own clique, gossips and bullies and their own idea of a good practical joke. They sneak into the toilets for a sly fag, some still live with their parents, and they always have an excuse for why they're late for their own class.

The show mainly follows Simon (Andrew Lincoln), an English teacher in his mid-twenties who wants to get through the day as easily as possible. The kids call him by his first name, come to him with their problems due to his approachability and relaxed style and yet, he is constantly bugging head of year, friend and fellow teacher Susan (Raquel Cassidy) for advice on everything from whether or not to move in with his police officer girlfriend Maggie (Zoe Telford) to problems arising from him trying to cut corners in class. Susan isn't without her own problems though, mainly the stress of the job and the strain it puts on her marriage. The main cast are rounded off with Jenny (Nina Sosanya) with whom Simon has a lot of sexual tension and Kurt (Navin Chowdry) and Geoff (Simon Chandler) who spend the day perving at their students and teachers and playing the would you game where a question is asked among the teachers such as, "Jenny with Susan's tits, or Susan awith Jenny's arse?". This leads to many hilarious moments.

The casting for this show is extremely good and the characters gel well together and each have very different characteristics which have been well produced on screen. The scriptwriting, whilst not superb, is very good, and they manage to mix the comedy and drama elements of the show to a high standard. Music throughout the show is from British indie bands of the late nineties and each time a song is played during an episode, it is fitting and never feels out of place. One thing I did enjoy was noticing a couple of the students who have come on to have decent careers of their own, including Kara Tointon (Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing) and James Corden (Lesbian Vampire Killers and A League of Their Own).

All in all, the show is mildly dramatic, definately funny and a joy to watch. Whilst there are a few minor characters I would change, I can't help but give it a solid recommendation to fans of the typically dry British humour mixed with drama.

This first series (of four) consists of eight episodes spread evenly over two discs.

Full review: http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2547

Just finished up series 2 of this show. Was just as good but not worth writing another review for as I covered pretty much everything already. On;ly differences are a couple of new teachers: gay JP and fake boobs manipulative bitch Penny.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:51 PM »

Friends: Season 10 (2003-2004)

Overview:
US comedy sitcom about the lives of six New Yorkers.

My Thoughts:
Friends is probably the most successful comedy of all time and season 10 was the final season. For me, I never quite understood why it managed to garner as much success as it did because there are many better sitcoms out there, but the cast is good and it still has plenty of enjoyable moments. Season 10 includes notable appearances by Danny DeVito, Paul Rudd and Anna Faris and wraps up the whole show extremely well - if in a rather expected fashion. If you enjoyed previous seasons, you'll enjoy this - but for me, it's nothing special. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »

Traffic: The Mini-Series (2004)

Overview:
US mini-series based on the 2000 film starring Benicio Del Toro and Catherine Zeta Jones. The lives of three Seattle-based men become intertwined as they become caught up in the dark inner workings of the highly risky - but extremely lucrative - world of drugs trafficking.

My Thoughts:
Many will be familiar with the excellent Steven Soderbergh movie on which this mini-series is based (which itself is based on a British mini-series!) and this is essentially more of the same. Despite a great cast (Mary MacCormack owns her role, as does Elias Koteas as her husband), a well thought out plot intertwining stories of various characters and a well written script, this isn't as good as Soderbergh's movie due to the occasional pacing issue, but I still recommend it. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:21:47 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
For anyone interested in Traffic, I got my copy for just a penny + postage from Amazon Marketplace (used) where it is still easily available at that price. Worth it for fans of the movie version IMO.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

CSI Miami: Season 6 Set 2 (2008-2009)

Overview:
The final ten episodes from the sixth series of the popular US crime drama in which Horatio Caine (David Caruso), a former homicide detective, heads a group of investigators who work crimes amid the steamy, tropical surroundings and cultural crossroads of Miami. Episodes are: 'Miami Confidential', 'Raising Caine', 'You May Now Kill the Bride', 'Ambush', 'All In', 'To Kill a Predator', 'Tunnel Vision', 'Rock and a Hard Place', 'Down to the Wire' and 'Going Ballistic'.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Some cracking story developments which go back to previous seasons, including an unexpected revisit to Rio for Horatio.
- Elizabeth Berkeley is surprisingly good in quite an important multi-episode role.
- The writing is pretty good and the episodes are still varied, despite there now being literally hundreds of episodes over the three CSI franchises.
Cons:
- Horatio Caine is still the poorest character across all the CSIs. His one-liners can be fun, but can sometimes be a parody of themselves.
Overall:
Recommended to fans of police procedural shows. 4/5